Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > July BOTM - Results

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour Popular Vote Winner - Midnight's Children, by Salman Rushdie

Weighted Vote Winner - The God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy

Random Selection - Season of Migration to the North, by Tayeb Salih

It was a close race until the end, but we ended up with a Rushdie, a Roy and Sudan's sole contribution to the list as the Random Selection. Paula and Tracy share credit for having voted for Season of Migration to the North.

Which of our July BOTM are you planning to read? Will you be diving into the 3Q Seasonal Read, Anna Karenina? Perhaps digging into the next volume of the Story of the Stone? Perhaps the July book in our monthly calendar challenge?

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 557 comments Yay! I'm looking forward to Seasons. I've read God of Small Things, and liked it very much. Midnight's Children is one of my favorite books, and I hope everyone who reads it sticks with it. Trust me. It's worth it!

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1218 comments Mod
Thank you Tracy, good to know about Midnight's Children. I would like to read all 3, will see how it goes. I also will read John's Challenge choice.

message 4: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3967 comments Mod
I agree. Midnights children is worth the read! I liked The God of Small Things. I don't plan to reread so that leaves Migration. I will see if I can find it. I am pretty sure I know what July calendar read will be and I will also try reading it.

message 5: by Paula (last edited Jun 21, 2016 02:18AM) (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments I would like to read all three, and the seasonal read, but realistically I'll start with Seasons of migration... and then we'll see how it goes.

Edit to add: I'm really happy with the result this month, since I have all three on hand already. Now that summer vacations and coming and we are more active outside the house I have less time to read, but I'll try to read all and hopefully I'll get at least some of them off of that TBR pile.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn L | 152 comments I'm going to read all three and the seasonal read too. That is an ambitious goal for me. But we'll see how far I am able to go.

To Kristel- I found Season of Migration at the library.

message 7: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 167 comments I'm going to read Midnight's Children and Anna Karenina and tbd on the others, I will read those if I have the time. Looking forward to it!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
love it! I will read all three. God of Small Things would be a reread but I don't remember much about it other than the overall plot and that I liked it. I will try to catch up on the annual read. I need to read volume 2. Will probably delay Anna Karenina until August. that said, July will be a very busy work month for me with some travel to conferences. We shall see but I'll aim high for now

message 9: by John (new)

John Seymour I would like to read all three, but not likely to happen in July. The priority this month will be Volume 4 of Story of the Stone, the July read and hopefully some BOTMs.

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 904 comments I'm still struggling to get through anything I start reading, a temporary lack of interest and motivation (even though I am on a work trip). Trying to finish The Jungle before the deadline. After that, I have the third part of the Story of the Stone and A Fine Balance. All three BOTMs will need to be read, but that will be much later this year.

message 11: by Anna (new)

Anna Fennell | 107 comments I am going to read Midnight's Children as I can access it. I have already read The God of Small things. I cannot find Seasons in my library system so I am going to put it on my wishlist and maybe I will eventually get it. I will read Anna Karenina and the next section of the Story of the Stone.

message 12: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1361 comments I have started Midnight's Children several times but this time will try to persist as it is one I own. I hated Grimus, so will have to grit my teeth to get through it. The God of Small Things is one of my favourites, but it will be last on my list. Migration I am going to have to hunt for, as it is not in my libraries.

message 13: by Alina (new)

Alina Bu | 2 comments I couldn't be happier about Midnight's Children. It's one of the books that I simply loved.
So, the answer to that question is I'm starting Anna Karenina (for the third time, hopefully it's going to be lucky this time) and looking forward to discovering the other ones. I heard so much about them!

message 14: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1932 comments Mod
Season of Migration to the North for me, I also need to read the latest volume of Story of the Stone and the calendar challenge.

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Carter | 32 comments Started Midnight's Children. Got Season ordered at my library and will read God too, hopefully all this month.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Sashinka - or others: any recommendations for which Anna karenina translation to read?

message 17: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 167 comments Pevear and Volokhonsky is the best!

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Dianne wrote: "Pevear and Volokhonsky is the best!"

Thanks! I'm debating between that version and the Bartlett version and people seem pretty split on those two versions. I appreciate your recommendation

message 19: by Alina (new)

Alina Bu | 2 comments Started THE GOD OF SMALL THINGS, love it!

message 20: by Becky C (new)

Becky C I'll be starting Anna Karenina as I have it on my physical TBR. I'm attempting to stick with books I own so I can make some room on my shelves.

message 21: by John (new)

John Seymour Dianne wrote: "Pevear and Volokhonsky is the best!"

I love their translations and would read that - but got a beautifully bound version in a different translation from my wife for Christmas last year, so I'll be reading that one. :-)

message 22: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 167 comments You know what John, the same thing happened to me! I have a beautiful fancy bound version I received for the holidays, it is Constance Garnett, which is fine, but unbeknownst to the gifter I had been starting a collection of Pevear. So I have the fancy version instead!

message 23: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Thanks all. I got the Pevear and Volokhonsky Penguin edition

message 24: by John (new)

John Seymour Dianne wrote: "You know what John, the same thing happened to me! I have a beautiful fancy bound version I received for the holidays, it is Constance Garnett, which is fine, but unbeknownst to the gifter I had be..."

Mine is also the Constance Garnett translation. Did you receive the edition with the white cover embossed with a gold, red and blue design?

message 25: by Dianne (new)

Dianne | 167 comments Yes! That's too funny.

message 26: by John (new)

John Seymour Dianne wrote: "Yes! That's too funny."

:-))

message 27: by Amie (new)

Amie (amie-b) | 79 comments There is a long waiting list at my library for Midnight's Children so I'll skip that one this month. I've already read God of Small Things and enjoyed it, but I'm not going to reread, and Seasons isn't available through my library system.
I'm excited to read Anna Karenina! I have the Constance Garnett translation. What is the difference between the translations?

message 28: by John (new)

John Seymour Amie wrote: "There is a long waiting list at my library for Midnight's Children so I'll skip that one this month. I've already read God of Small Things and enjoyed it, but I'm not going to reread, and Seasons i..."

There are almost as many discussions of translations of AK as there are translations. Constance Garnett gets consistently high praise, P&V is generally highly regarded, but have also come in for pretty savage criticism.

Here are a couple discussions of some translations: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/boo...

https://www.commentarymagazine.com/ar...

For AK, Garnett still seems to be the standard.

message 29: by Amie (new)

Amie (amie-b) | 79 comments John wrote: "Amie wrote: "There is a long waiting list at my library for Midnight's Children so I'll skip that one this month. I've already read God of Small Things and enjoyed it, but I'm not going to reread, ..."

Thank you for sharing these articles! Great read. I would hate to "miss something". I think you're right I think Garnett seems to be the standard translation. Even the second article talks of a professor who prefers to use Garnett over the P & V translation. I feel pretty comfortable reading the Garnett translation now. Thanks again!

message 30: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1361 comments Fascinating articles about the various translations. I have three copies, can't wait to check who the translators are when I return home!