What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Pincher Martin
This topic is about Pincher Martin
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Pre-1975 Fiction: Man Stranded on an Island where Strange Events Occur. Spoiler ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Rapp | 3 comments My mother read this book around 1975 in college, but can't recall the author or title. The basic premise is that a man is (ostensibly) cast away on an island where various odd events begin to transpire. Upshot (and perhaps twist of the plot) is that he didn't survive the accident that stranded him, and his dying, oxygen deprived brain is manifesting fantasies loosely based in his reality and experiences while he is expiring. The only example she was able to give me is that his island takes on a smooth, domed, white appearance, which my mother recalled as representative of his tooth. I've asked employees at my local indie book store more than once, and they invariably look at me like I'm insane.

Has anybody read this, or know what book I'm describing? I'm *dying* to find it.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35145 comments Mod
Julia, it sounds like the castaway being dead is a spoiler, so I removed it from the topic header.

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Rapp | 3 comments Kris wrote: "Julia, it sounds like the castaway being dead is a spoiler, so I removed it from the topic header."

Wow, thank you! Do you happen to know the author?? I'm so grateful for your response and assistance. I feel like a dolt, but I've scoured my resources for that title but can't find what looks like a good match. I'm obsessed..

message 4: by Kris (new)

What's the genre or tone - mystery, suspense, horror, science fiction, etc.?

Can you describe some of the odd events that happen? Does he encounter other people, animals or creatures?

Can you describe the hero - his age, job, hobbies, appearance, personality, quirks, etc.?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new) - added it

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Julia, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia Rapp | 3 comments I did! I did!
It was Pincher Martin. I could not believe it took me so long to get something written by Golding pinned down. Thanks!

message 7: by Kris (new)

Great. Glad you found your book, Julia. Thanks for the update. Here's the link - Pincher Martin by William Golding.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pincher Martin (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Golding (other topics)