UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Agony Aunt > Apple geek alert!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Any of our lovely groupites know anything about this?

HELP! I have a new Macbook and don't want to migrate all my pictures from my Time Capsule onto my new Macbook. I do however want to be able to browse the pictures... Any experienced Apple users know how to do this?

This is a plea from one of my colleagues.

Thanks, my lovelies!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments If the pictures are on her Time Capsule, she should be able to just connect her new Macbook to it... surely?

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/connec...

No idea, this Apple stuff is annoying.

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane Jago Thing is, I know nowt about Time Capsule. That being said...

One idea would be to look at iCloud. If the photos can be put there they won't actually be on your friend's MacBook but they should be browse able.

Otherwise shove the pics on a hard drive, and plug same into the MacBook when you want to browse.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thanks both!

Any other clever ideas?

message 5: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments She needs to use Time Machine to get the photos off the Time Capsule (it's very reliable - saved my bacon a number of times!), and once that's done, they can be moved off the machine - onto iCloud or Dropbox etc, or another hard drive.

Even though a Time Capsule is really just a network attached storage drive, when used for backup with Time Machine, data is stored in such a way that you can't just go poking around the drive with Finder.

But once the files have been properly restored they can be shunted off elsewhere and viewed remotely.

message 6: by David (new)

David Manuel | 1147 comments Tim wrote: "She needs to use Time Machine to get the photos off the Time Capsule (it's very reliable - saved my bacon a number of times!), and once that's done, they can be moved off the machine - onto iCloud ..."

The Great Time Machine Hoax by Keith Laumer This is a great book, by the way. But it doesn't explain why Apple can't use understandable terms like "backup" and "file storage" and chooses terms like "Time Machine" and "Time Capsule" so that everyone is confused what's really going on.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thank you!

I'd really like to 'pay it forward' to this lady.
Her hubby was the guy who volunteered his blood when Dave was so sick last autumn.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Presumably the same reason why Ikea can't use words like "chair" or "table" or "desk" . . .

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) What do they call chairs etc then?? A household implement for sitting on??

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments They used to have a wardrobe called Bra.

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Could you only get two cups in it then?

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth White | 2067 comments T4bsF (Call me Flo) wrote: "Could you only get two cups in it then?"

Tee-hee

message 13: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments But they were BIG ones! ;)

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) double J's??

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments From browsing photos to tits in ten posts.

I love our group. :D

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Yes, GL, you've got a lovely pair of tits.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Yes, GL, you've got a lovely pair of tits."

Thanks Patti :)

T4bsF (Call me Flo) (time4bedsaidflorence) Perhaps my post should have said "double Jays" then!!