Stephen King Fans discussion

Recommendations > What to read before DT

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colton (new)

Colton | 32 comments I've seen a lot of different things on what is best to read before beginning the Dark Tower series, primarily The Stand or It. I've seen other things that say Everything's Eventual is a must to read beforehand, as is Hearts in Atlantis. I intend to read DT all at once in its entirety, with no interlude books in between. Would doing this be for the best for my reading enjoyment, and what should I read before delving into this world?

Also I've read elsewhere that It, Insomnia, and 11/22/63 tie into each other. Having read It (and loving it) is it necessary to read Insomnia and 11/22/63 before DT; do they tie into that expanding series?

Looking forward to feedback. Thanks!

Read me two times | 56 comments insomnia, salem's lot, heart in atlantis are a MUST. not because if not you can't understand DT, but because it's beautiful how they merge into each other...

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I don't think that those have to be read BEFORE Dark Tower as a whole. Salem's Lot is best read before The Wolves of the Calla, but Insomnia and Hearts In Atlantis could probably be read anytime before The Dark Tower (book 7). Everything's Eventual contains a couple DT-related stories: Little Sisters of Eluria which is a DT prequel (but I think reads best between Wizard and Glass and The Wolves of the Calla), but also the title story Everything's Eventual is a character-prequel to the Dark Tower, so should be read before that.

It and 11/22/63 do tie in, in small ways, but they are not at all necessary to read before starting the series.

Actually, NOTHING is required before reading the series. It's a complete story on its own, and all of the tie in books are just added connections and insight and easter eggs... they will add to the story, but it will not matter if you haven't read them before getting to the Dark Tower series itself. You will not be missing anything. They'll only add.

message 4: by Nicole (last edited Jun 20, 2016 12:03PM) (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments I had found this blog post that lists recommended books to tie in to the Dark Tower and even suggested reading order. I think its an incredible list and I like that it justifies its choices, though I feel there are a few that could be skipped. I agree Salem's Lot is a must!

message 5: by Squire (new)

Squire (srboone) | 11 comments The only book I wish I'd read before the DT series was Insomnia. It was the one I went and read immediately afterwards. I had already read 'Salem's Lot and Hearts in Atlantis.

message 6: by Christy (new)

Christy | 26 comments Nicole wrote: "I had found this blog post that lists recommended books to tie in to the Dark Tower and even suggested reading order. I think its an incredible list and I like that it justifies its choices, though..."

Yes, I have that post saved in the favorites section on my mac....haven't started yet, though....of course there are many i've already read long before deciding to dive into King's Magnum Opus...

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy | 26 comments Squire wrote: "The only book I wish I'd read before the DT series was Insomnia. It was the one I went and read immediately afterwards. I had already read 'Salem's Lot and Hearts in Atlantis."

That's interesting...I have Insomnia, but have been putting it off because I thought I wouldn't understand parts of it pre-DT....I'd love to know your reason for reading it first!

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Christian (kwcreads) | 64 comments Here's another thread I started about books to read in conjunction with the DT series:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There are a lot of other threads similar to this as well under the main heading "Dark Tower Series."

message 9: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3935 comments Insomnia may be the only King books left that I've only read once. I think I will try to revisit it before the end of the year.