2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Angels Flight (Harry Bosch, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #7)
This topic is about Angels Flight
Angels Flight > Question D

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
When you read the particulars of the Black Warriors case, did you believe it possible the police had tortured Michael Harris? Why or why not? Were you surprised to learn the truth?

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Jun 20, 2016 04:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Yes, I believed it was possible that Harris had been tortured by police, who were so certain he was guilty that they crossed every line of law enforcement to get a confession from him. Some police would be inclined to violence, sadly.

For a while, I did think that Harris was guilty, though.

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I agree, Charlene. Just look at some of the cases in the last year where police got carried away and ended up shooting unarmed suspects. Unfortunately, they sometimes cross the line.

Given the crime he was accused of? I had little doubt.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments It reminds me, Jonetta, of your answer to the previous question. The police were trying to control the outcome of the case, and both times their motives were not to protect and to serve, but to wrap a case quickly and to save face.

They were also angry. I think it was a bit of both.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Unfortunately, I wasn't surprised to learn that the police had crossed the line. The fact that the victim was a child made it all the more evident that the cops were desperate and willing to do anything to find her - understandable but completely wrong and unjustified.

The cops become the monsters they hunt when they cross that line - "He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee" - Nietzsche was so right!

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Good point, Lauren.

So very true.