Stephen King Fans discussion

Stephen King
This topic is about Stephen King
Recommendations > Similar Authors

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Kealy | 4 comments Hi Gang

I LOVE Stephen King and have read (almost) everything he has written.

Can anyone recommend an author of similar style? An amazing page turner with unexpected twists. A book that stays with you long after you have read it and you insist everyone you know must read it also so you can talk about it.

Know what I mean???

Thanks!!!

message 2: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Catherine wrote: "Hi Gang

I LOVE Stephen King and have read (almost) everything he has written.

Can anyone recommend an author of similar style? An amazing page turner with unexpected twists. A book that stays wit..."

Can't match authors but maybe books:

THE STAND - THE ROAD, (CORMAC MCCARTHY) • SWAN SONG
REVIVAL - NIGHT FILM (MIRASHA PESSEL)
SALEMS LOT - LET THE RIGHT ONE IN (LINDQUVIST) • INTERVIEW WITH A VAMPIRE
THE DARK TOWER - AMERICAN GODS (NEIL GAIMAN)
THE BILL HODGES TRILOGY - THE CORMORAN STRIKE NOVELS (ROBERT GALBRAITH AKA JK ROWLINGS)
CHRISTINE - COME OUT TONIGHT (RICHARD LAYMON)

message 3: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth McKinley | 277 comments Robert McCammon has been referred to as the Stephen King of the south. I'm not from the south, but I would agree that much of his writing has that great voice that King does so well, realistically flawed characters, and very descriptive settings. I would recommend anything McCammon has written from The Night Boat until present day. The ones before that, he was cutting his teeth and it shows. My personal favorites are Swan Song, Boys Life, Mine, They Thirst, The Wolf's Hour, Ushers Passing, and the Matthew Corbett series, starting with Speaks The Nightbird.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 3992 comments Ken wrote: "Robert McCammon has been referred to as the Stephen King of the south. I'm not from the south, but I would agree that much of his writing has that great voice that King does so well, realistically ..."

Right. Forgot to mention in my list that McCammon wrote Swan Song.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Power (nicolepower) | 295 comments I have heard pretty amazing things about Stephen King's son's writing. He writes under Joe Hill. I have a book of his to start soon and try him out.

I would suggest Dean Koontz as well. He does plot twists like whoa- most notably in Life Expectancy, which is also very funny. He also does scary- I found his book Dragon Tears to be legit creepy and it has one of the best first lines to a book I've ever read: "Tuesday was a fine California day, full of sunshine and promise, until Harry Lyon had to shoot someone at lunch."

And if you like series, Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas is great!

message 6: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Joe Hill is a good pick. Just finished NOS4A2 and it was a very fun read with a mix of different genres. Heart Shaped Box is great, too, but I wasn't a fan of Horns.

Check out Shirley Jackson for some good old fashioned horror. The Haunting of Hill House is classic.

Richard Matheson is great, too. I Am Legend I'd awesome and not like the stupid Will Smith movie at all.