Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Get To Know Ian Brady

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments Interesting viewing for my Sunday evening.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments I found an article online dated May 5th of this year that says he is bedridden and barely clinging to life. Even now he is not willingly eating anything -- the guy's hunger strike has been going on for decades now,

message 4: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments I was wondering if he was still alive but couldn't find specifics. Too bad (that he is).

message 5: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments He has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. He hasn't eaten anything without being force-fed in something like 20 years, so I'm kind of astounded he's still alive at all. Honestly, it's the kind of life imprisonment I could wish for a lot of people -- miserable, tortured, etc. But some of the families of his victims just want him gone, which is also understandable. I wonder how they felt about the fact that Ian and Myra went on trial just a couple of months after the abolishment of the death penalty?

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments I saw that in the documentary you linked - about 6 months afterwards. Yep, people just want him gone - they feel like his presence, and ever-ongoing attempts at manipulation, just keep the events in their lives. What do you think of Jackie, his 'advocate'? I found her...disturbing.

message 7: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments I came away really wondering what her role is in this story. Ian carried a torch for Myra Hindley for years after they were separated by the justice system -- even demanding conjugal visits -- because she made him the center of her life and would do anything for him, quite worshipfully, including stand there and laugh while he killed a kid with an axe. Is Jackie Myra's replacement? She says she only got close to him by refusing to judge him or even ask about his crimes, but where did it go from there? Is he playing her like a violin?

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments I read somewhere that an employee in Ashworth says Brady eats. Is he playing her like a violin? I would say for sure!

message 9: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments I read The Gates of Janus: Serial Killing and Its Analysis by Ian Brady. It was interesting but he is such a pompous ass.

message 10: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments Fishface/Shelley, I'm wondering that too. In the documentary, she got quite upset about the journalist's 'tone' when he asked certain questions about Brady - it didn't seem to me that someone objective would be that upset about some imagined slight against a serial killer. A normal person, even an attorney for the accused, would more likely have answered, "Well, I can see how you'd think/feel that," at least in my opinion.

In the end I found her distasteful, to say the least.

message 11: by Fishface (last edited Jun 21, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments Shelley wrote: "I read somewhere that an employee in Ashworth says Brady eats. Is he playing her like a violin? I would say for sure!"

I figure he'd lose interest in her if he couldn't mess with her head.

message 12: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments Shelley wrote: "I read The Gates of Janus: Serial Killing and Its Analysis by Ian Brady. It was interesting but he is such a pompous ass."

I have debated for years whether to read that one. Does he talk about himself in it, or pontificate about serial murder in general a la Ted Bundy?

message 13: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Both but mostly about other serial killers and serial murder in general. BUT he is such a wind bag using the biggest words he can find when simpler words would do. All to impress us about how (pseudo) intellectual he is. Pompous ass. :) BTW: I didn't agree with much of what he said about Bundy.

message 14: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments Shelley wrote: "Both but mostly about other serial killers and serial murder in general. BUT he is such a wind bag using the biggest words he can find when simpler words would do. All to impress us about how (pseu..."

Did he call him a poopbutt, like Manson did? :)

message 15: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments It's been several years since I read it. I will re-read that chapter and try and give you a summary. Maybe later today.

message 16: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Brady wouldn't use "poopbutt". He would use something like "Bundy was an excrementally covered gluteus maximus".

message 17: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Or maybe "Bundy was a gluteus maximus with excrement adherences"

message 18: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments Shelley wrote: "Brady wouldn't use "poopbutt". He would use something like "Bundy was an excrementally covered gluteus maximus"."

LMECGMO!

message 19: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments LMECGMO Is this a quiz question? lol

L Let
M Me
E Eventually
C Come
G Guessing
M Mostly
O Overly wrong

message 20: by Lee (new)

Lee | 130 comments If I remember rightly he refers to his own crimes as "an existential exercise" not sure if that's in the book because its a long time since I read it.Brady is definitely a pseudo intellectual but I did enjoy the book despite that,it's a good insight into his world view although I don't believe everything he says about his own life.
I prefer it to Face to Face with Evil: Conversations with Ian Brady which I thought was a real let down.

message 21: by Lee (new)

Lee | 130 comments http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/6727...

I wondered how he kept alive so long!

message 22: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments If I remember correctly he did make some points about the serial murder from a sociology standpoint like Elliott Leyton does in his book, Hunting Humans: The Rise of the Modern Multiple Murderer. That was a good read also.

I definitely enjoyed Brady's book for same reason...a look at his worldview. Face to Face with Evil was okay.

message 23: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Lee wrote: "http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/6727...

I wondered how he kept alive so long!"

Yes, that's the article I remember seeing.

message 24: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments Shelley wrote: "LMECGMO Is this a quiz question? lol

L Let
M Me
E Eventually
C Come
G Guessing
M Mostly
O Overly wrong"

Instead of LMAO (laughing my ass off), it's LMECGMO (laughing my excrement-covered gluteus maximus off).

message 25: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments LOL Good one! :)

message 26: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments Lee wrote: "http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/6727...

I wondered how he kept alive so long!"

He's a stubborn cuss.

message 27: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments Shelley wrote: "Brady wouldn't use "poopbutt". He would use something like "Bundy was an excrementally covered gluteus maximus"."

"Covered" isn't really a Bradyish word. Maybe "bedewed"?

message 28: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments "Bedewed" lol

message 29: by Shelley (last edited Jun 29, 2016 12:50PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Eileen: I have reread Brady's chapter on Bundy and it's really too much for me to try and summarize. He has a lot to say. It's actually pretty good. I think you should get the book. You would probably enjoy it.

message 30: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12691 comments Oh, I probably will sooner or later. You know me!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.