Play Book Tag discussion

June, 2016: Fantasy > An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir 5*

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Very exciting and page-turning. Full of action and suspense. Told through alternating points of view from a boy and a girl who should be enemies. Engaging characters constantly getting into binds and finding ways out of them. Mini love triangle, but not the focus of the story. More about protecting family and friendships. More complicated themes than Hunger Games or the like where the villian is easier to identify.

I mostly listened to the audiobook for this one. I believe the female character was read by the author and the male was OK except when he was speaking for female characters. His high pitched tone did not fit these female warrior characters.

Looks like a few people picked this one for the monthly tag.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments Glad you found such a gripping read for fantasy month! Would you characterize this one as YA? I do like the idea of alternating viewpoints of enemies . . .

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Yes, YA. And it has a lot of the things that a lot of people don't like about YA (e.g., a love triangle). But I liked it. One thing that I think makes it more palatable to more mature readers is that the distinction between good/evil doesn't seem totally clear. Good people definitely do bad things. And people that might be "evil" maybe aren't all bad. It's not so straightforward. I should have mentioned the book does refer quite often to rape. I think it's "culturally" (in this fake culture) appropriate and it definitely gives you a strong feeling for the class and gender structure. It could be troubling for some.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6541 comments Sounds definitely like a bit more mature rendition of a YA book - - good to know because I'm always on the lookout for good books for my niece, but she may be a little young still for this one. Thank you for elaborating!