Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Page Numbering Requests > incorrect numbering (ISBN: 9780553448153)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lethe (last edited Jun 18, 2016 10:46AM) (new)

lethe | 13571 comments The page count was changed from 320 (according to Amazon and the publisher) to 300 by a librarian. Are there no pages after 293?

message 2: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments As you have the book in hand and WorldCat agrees, change made. (The first page count, although added by an auto-import, was 288, so this one has been all over the map.)

Hope your heart feels better now. :-)

message 3: by lethe (last edited Jun 19, 2016 02:42AM) (new)

lethe | 13571 comments jm wrote: "A couple pages of acknowledgements and photo credits, but they're unnumbered. The last numbered page is 293 (like the above WorldCat link says, too)."

GR counts these pages as well, though. In that, it differs from Worldcat. Changed the page number back to 300.

jm wrote: "It's been a few years since I've taken a cataloguing course, but my understanding was always that page numbering is derived from the last numbered page."

In the real library world, yes. Alas, in GR world, no. See https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...
What this amounts to, is that only adverts and previews of other books, and any blank pages at the very end, are not counted.

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea lethe, I thought Worldcat was the authority for GR page count, but according to your comment it is not. Is that correct?

message 5: by lethe (last edited Jun 19, 2016 04:24AM) (new)

lethe | 13571 comments Bea wrote: "lethe, I thought Worldcat was the authority for GR page count, but according to your comment it is not. Is that correct?"

Yes, see rivka's comment here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Since jm states that page 293 is followed by acknowledgements and photo credits, the librarian who previously changed the page count to 300 is probably correct (the publisher and Amazon list it as 320, and I haven't found 300 anywhere else, so I think the librarian had a copy in hand*).

(*I checked the librarian's page, they did indeed just read it)

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41704 comments Mod
jm wrote: "By absolutely no cataloguing standard in the world is 300 a "probably correct""

How many pages after the last numbered page is the last page of acknowledgements and photo credits? If it is 7 pages later, then 300 is correct as per Goodreads policy.

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13571 comments Oops, jm has deleted their account :-(