This topic is about Clarice Lispector
Hamilton-esque books, authors.. > Clarice Lispector

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg | 159 comments Clarice Lispector: Collected Stories

'One of the hidden geniuses of the twentieth century' Colm Toibin

"What I desired was to live the moment until it wore out" Clarice Lispector

Clarice Lispector was a Brazilian writer, born in the Ukraine in 1920. She died in 1977

'Clarice Lispector was one of the most blistering and innovative twentieth-century writers of the short story. This collection, gathering all her stories together for thhe first time in English, shows us abandonments and dependencies, animals too deeply loved and then eaten, the smallest woman in the world, moments of madness and passions that have the ferocity of a fork plunged into a good friend's neck. Together they follow the evolution of a writer capable of capturing all the incredible heat and wonder of existence.' (from the back cover synopsis)

Eighty four short stories devided into eight sections
First Stories
Family Ties
The Foreign Legion
Covert Joy
Where Were You At Night
The Via Crucis Of The Body
Vision of Splendor
Final Stories

I discovered this at the library a couple of weeks ago. A new Penguin Modern Classics edition.
Having read the first few stories, I see what the praise is about.
The stories are narrated in first person of a woman through her life.

I am getting my own copy to have.

message 2: by Nigeyb (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:36AM) (new)

Nigeyb | 4123 comments Mod
Thanks Greg. I shall go and investigate The Complete Stories by Clarice Lispector.

What makes her Hamilton-esque? Or is she just someone you think is a good writer?

3:am cult hero: Clarice Lispector...
http://www.3ammagazine.com/3am/3am-cu...

THE TRUE GLAMOUR OF CLARICE LISPECTOR...
http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-t...

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg | 159 comments Nigeyb, her writing focuces on charactérs in the same intense way PH does. While reading The Midnight Bell, Bob's 'courtship' of Jenny, I can see the same closely set interaction of characters in Clarice Lispector's stories. The stories are not set in England, so not sure if that disqualifies her from being Hamilton-esque. So please delete once you're familiar with her writing if you think she doesn't belong in there with Hamilton-esque writers.
I am impressed with the way she writes. I'd like to know what you think.
Does Hamilton-esque require being set in London?

message 4: by Nigeyb (last edited Jun 21, 2016 06:14AM) (new)

Thanks Greg

Greg wrote: "Does Hamilton-esque require being set in London? "

Not at all. We can all interpret Hamilton-esque in any way we choose

And you have drawn out some interesting parallels with our man, e.g....

Greg wrote: "...her writing focuses on charactérs in the same intense way PH does "

Needless to say, I hope to read some of her work and make my own assessment. Whatever I conclude, I will not...

Greg wrote: "....delete once you're familiar with her writing if you think she doesn't belong in there with Hamilton-esque writers"

Hamiltonians are all free to make their own judgements and, even if the links are tenuous, hopefully, at the very least, we all discover new and interesting writers.

If it wasn't for you, Greg, I'd still be ignorant about Clarice Lispector. So thank you for sharing your enthusiasm.

As an aside, Clarice Lispector is a wonderful name isn't it?

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg | 159 comments Yes, it's a great name. I can imagine a British detective series with Inspector Lispector. Say that ten times really fast. Ha ha.

This is a passage that jumped out while reading the story 'Obsession.'

"You must know how to feel, but also how to stop feeling, because if an experience is sublime it can equally become dangerous. Learn how to cast the spell and then break it. Pay attention, I'm teaching you something valuable: the magic that is the opposite of 'open, Sesame'. The best way for a feeling to lose its perfume and stop intoxicating us is to expose it to the sun."

message 6: by Nigeyb (new)

^ That's good Greg. A bit like taste. The first mouthful is the best and then...the law of diminishing returns

The Patrick Hamilton Appreciation Society

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Complete Stories (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Clarice Lispector (other topics)