VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE discussion

FILM,TELEVISION & MUSIC > I Finally started watching Penny Dreadful

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Jun 17, 2016 09:21PM) (new)

Dan (dan2345) | 880 comments Mod
I really don't mean to step on anyone's toes, because I believe that someone on here posted something about this show a while back, but I've started watching Penny Dreadful.

I'm only a few episodes in, but it's pretty cool. Just based off of the "penny dreadful" novels as well as other literature of the 19th century, they've got everyone in there! Dorian Grey (Oscar Wilde's character), Van Helsing, Mina Murray, an American gunfighter (don't know that actor's name, but he was in Sin City and a bunch of other stuff when he was younger), Jack the Ripper and Dr. Frankenstein.

Despite the fact that the vampires in this show are awesome and not at all sparkly or wussy, I have to say that Victor Frankenstein and all the monsters he keeps creating gross me out most of all (in a good way). Like I said, I just got into the show and am trying to catch up. But what really got me into it was that I had read that they had put Dracula on the show, and they revealed him to be (view spoiler).

You know, lately, I've been more scared/interested in monsters like the Charles Manson from the NBC show, Aquarius. Also scared/hateful of the real Charles Manson as well as various other real life monsters like Adolf Hitler, numerous serial killers, and who amongst us is not scared of what has been in the news lately.

However, Penny Dreadful seems to have made a good attempt at bringing back the fear and that "gothic bad-assery" in vampires that Twilight almost totally took away with their damned sparkly pussy Edward Cullen, and the rest of those bitches Meyer calls "vampires" in those awful books and movies!

Anyway, I can't wait to get to Penny Dreadful's version of Count Dracula...hope he's a scary badass and not some whiny, "morally conflicted" or anti-hero vampire. I'll keep watching and keep my thoughts on the show updated.

message 2: by Graeme (last edited Jun 26, 2016 07:15PM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan I can guarantee that Penny Dreadful vampires do not suffer from moral conflict.

The show is excellent and runs to 3 series.

A standout is the dialogue, as is the sheer suspense/terror of some of the scenes.

The american gunslinger - Ethan Chandler (who has a very dark secret) is played by Josh Hartnett.

message 3: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (last edited Jun 26, 2016 09:14PM) (new)

Yeah, I just finished season one. Ethan Chandler (view spoiler). Wow! Josh Hartnett, yeah, he was in 30 Days of Night as well, one of my favorite vampire movies. I Haven't watched season two yet, but soon. And I can't wait to see how they handle Dracula.

message 4: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Not wanting to spoil it - Season two is primarily focussed on another sort of villain, and then it all comes together in a big climax in Season 3.

message 5: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Season 2 is great and you have to see it to make sense of season 3.

message 6: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 33 comments Loved this show so much. I was saddened and a little shocked to see it come to an end.

message 7: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Wait, they ended the show altogether??? (Please, no spoilers)

message 8: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan J.M.

I wouldn't be too sure of that - it is Penny Dreadful...

message 9: by Dan, destroyer of vegan vampire sissies (new)

Oh, okay. I Haven't watched season two or three yet, but it seems like that is one of those shows that they could just keep going. Like, "The Walking Dead", I hope they keep that goin till season twelve (as long as they don't kill off Rick or anyone else I like on that show)