Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Assassin's Quest - Chapters 36-42

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (httpswwwgoodreadscomnovelsandnon) | 189 comments Mod
THE END!!!! What did everyone think of that ending? Any remaining questions? Rest assured they get answered in the later books!
Who is ready for the Liveship Traders series!? (Spoilers: it's my favorite series by Hobb)!

message 2: by John (last edited Jul 03, 2016 11:11AM) (new)

John | 219 comments Let's generate some ideas for fancasting!

Assassin's Quest-The Movie!

Fitz---If this were fifteen years ago, it would be Heath Ledger, without a doubt! But I was thinking maybe Zac Efron or Liam Hemsworth. Zac looks like he's twelve so that helps with a character thats a teenager throughout the trilogy. Also, he's 5'8(Liam is 6'3).

The Fool---Admit it! The first thing that popped into your mind was Anderson Cooper! But seriously I was thinking Eddie Redmayne, who is fair-skinned and can do androgynous characters( The Danish Girl).

Burrich---Gerard Butler- That may be perfect casting. Also Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson or Josh Brolin.

Chivalry---Sean Bean(Game of Thrones), an actor, famous for getting killed off early in movies and T.V. My idea for him is that his only scene in the movie would be him lying dead in an open casket, where Fitz looks upon his father for the one and only time in his life. And it would be Beans earliest exit from a movie ever!

Verity--- Liev Schreiber(from"Ray Donovan") Also Bradley Cooper, Keanu Reeves or Tom Hiddleston.

Regal---Christian Bale or maybe Sam Rockwell( particularly as he is in Seven Psychopaths).

Chade---Sam Neill, Malcolm McDowell or Jonathan Price( High Sparrow on Game of Thrones).

Shrewd---Stellan Skarsgard, the world's greatest living character actor, and perfect for playing a King Lear sort of part. Also Patrick Stewart {Thanks to Emily "Embuhleeliest" for suggestion) or Bruce Dern.

Kettricken---Need someone tall and blonde, in their twenties. Charlize Theron is Forty (Sigh!). Nobody else here is over 5'8: Brie Larson( The Room, the lead in the new Captain Marvel movie), Lily James( Elizabeth Bennet in Pride & Prejudice & Zombies), Anya Taylor Joy ( the blonde girl in The Witch), Margot Robbie or Blake Lively.

Molly---Shailene Woodley( The Fault in Our Stars), Emma Watson or Anna Kendrick.

Patience---Kristen Chenowith, who can give a broadly comic performance; Toni Collette, Michelle Pfeiffer or Amy Sedaris.

Galen--- Paul Giamatti.

Kettle---Helen Mirren or Ellen Burstyn.

Starling---Reese Witherspoon or Connie Britton(Nashville, the T.V. show).

Who do you think should be cast in a prospective Farseers movie?

Please comment down below!

message 3: by Abner (new)

Abner | 90 comments Man that was a swift ending for such a long book, but it was enjoyable and bittersweet. But man what clusterf**k - literally- I suspected about Molly and Burrich, they spent too much time together and protecting each other, they believe Catalyst is dead, so it's only natural to happen, but o dam, that was a hard scene to witness.
Then verity bedded Kettricken to gain some memories to imprint in his dragon and to put an heir in her belly (with Catalyst's seed). At this point Catalyst is 2 out of 3, because guess what, after witnessing Molly and Burrich decides to bed Starling.It was a long time coming really, but at least he didn't impregnate her, or at least she says, remember she thinks she is barren.

Then they finally awake the Verity-as-Dragon with Kettle and Verity sacrifice. After that Regal's forces find Catalyst, we learn that Regal wanted to awaken all the dragons in the place, and he assembled 3 more coteries to awaken them. Then the fool awakens girl and a dragon with Burl's death as fuel, and then Catalyst and Nighteyes discover that you need blood and the Wit to awaken them and they awaken all of them and Realder's dragon.

Kettle knows who Catalyst's mother is but didn't go into detail, I hope this gets clarified in the coming trilogies.

The way Catalyst dealt with Regal was unexpected and funny somehow, at least that ferret got his revenge that was unexpected too lol.

So there are two more players in the game of thrones, Nettle and Dutiful. Let's see how this pans out.

So turns that the Raiders only wanted revenge because they where forged and they where forging people into the stones tom make dragons, they where close but not close enough. This is a vicious cycle of vengeance, where would it end?? Remember that the Fool said the Red-ships where only the beginning of the end of the world.

All in all too fast for the ending but enjoyable, 4/5 stars for me, it could have gone faster and more info given along the way instead of revealing all in 5 chapters

message 4: by John (last edited Jun 28, 2016 03:20PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Abner wrote: "Man that was a swift ending for such a long book, but it was enjoyable and bittersweet. But man what clusterf**k - literally- I suspected about Molly and Burrich, they spent too much time together ..."

Oh, well! Better Burrich than somebody like her father!

I feel like after the big build-up that forging got (in the first book especially), there needed to be a more satisfying explanation than we ended up with here at the end of the trilogy.

It kind of defeats the purpose of revenge for the red ship raiders when nobody knows why you're seeking revenge, and why now after such a long expanse of time? It just comes across as being random and sadistic, not justice.

message 5: by Abner (new)

Abner | 90 comments John wrote: "Abner wrote: "Man that was a swift ending for such a long book, but it was enjoyable and bittersweet. But man what clusterf**k - literally- I suspected about Molly and Burrich, they spent too much ..."

I agree, too much build up, and whats the point of revenge if nobody know what you are doing. Still I would like the White Ship explained.

And Burrich was a drunk at first he had to change for Molly to accept him.

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 26 comments Okay, so I finished this book like 4 days ago and I was trying to wait so that I could compose myself properly and break down my thoughts on everything... that's not going to happen...

Basically, I just ranted on for eternity about how the whole Burrich x Molly thing ruined the ending/book for me... and then deleted it because reasons... If anyone wants to talk about it or rant with me, just say so and I'll post it.

In conclusion I love Fitz and the Fool and can't wait to continue the series!!!

message 7: by Abner (new)

Abner | 90 comments Alicia wrote: "Okay, so I finished this book like 4 days ago and I was trying to wait so that I could compose myself properly and break down my thoughts on everything... that's not going to happen...

Basically, ..."

I want to see the rant!!! haha its felt awkward to me, but if you look at the circumstances, is not that far fetched. We knew that Catalyst wasn't going to end up with Molly, Hobb is not that merciful, Catalyst was way too passionate for her and it would be too much of a win for him. Burrich is not that old really, he's beat up but he's not and old creep. He felt a sense of duty to care for Nettle (she's still his lords granddaughter), and spending too much time with Molly and the circumstances in which they where, is not hard to believe that they would fall in love. As Kettle told Catalyst, he only loved her because he was young and had a lot of emotions, maybe he only wants her because he can't have her, remember when they where together they fought hard 50% of the time. So yea an uncomfortable realization, but makes sense in the end.

message 8: by John (last edited Jun 29, 2016 10:00PM) (new)

John | 219 comments I like the first 450 pages of this book probably more than most people, but it should have been much better except I think for two factors:

1. The decision early on to have Fitz & Nighteyes go it alone and have no face-to-face contact with Burrich, Chade, Molly, Kettricken, Verity, Patience or the Fool, from chapters 3 through 20; takes a lot synergy away from the pace of the story( I did like the decision to leave Buckkeep and go on the road, though).

2. A corollary to the first point because of the ill-advised parting of Chade, Burrich and Fitz at just the point in time they should proceed to rescue/retrieve Verity (who Fitz informs them, is still alive). Left to his own counsel, Fitz then makes the irrational choice of going after Regal instead, even after being exposed by Will as still living, and therefore a potential threat to Regal. A reader may conclude from this that any attempts on Regal's life by Fitz from now on are unlikely to succeed anytime soon, making a lot of the plotting early in the book somewhat pointless.

For all that, I still think that the first half of the book rates about three-to-three and a half stars at this point.

Where this book just nosedives for me is the journey from Jhaampe to the quarry. There are so many false starts in the plot that look like they are going somewhere, and then don't pan out, that it becomes frustrating and tedious.

Fitz is so beleaguered by the Skill road's effect on his mind and body; and his having to deal with the coterie's Skill spying constantly draining his energies even as he tries just to put up a shield; that it just grinds everything into a continual slowdown.

I suspect the author has resorted to time marking delays( like not giving the traveling party horses to ride; or having The Fool and Fitz become ill or incapacitated so often) because she may be stuck figuring out how to unfold major plot points later on.

Furthermore it doesn't help that the two new characters are problematic. Kettle's presence makes sense relative to the plot, but she's annoying and surprisingly humorless, and for so many pages! I would like to see a lot more of Starling but in another context; she has no reason for being on this expedition; kind of a fifth wheel.

And I'm sorry but the ghost city sequences are the most worthless dreck I've read all year! It's just random, elaborate effluvia that doesn't further the needs of the immediate plot, and should have been cut.

Even when the group finally arrives at the Quarry and finds Verity; and all that walking is over with, the story stalls to the count of a hundred pages(!) before you get to the beginning of the action climax sequence. This just about took me out of it at about page 700, and I just quit caring and wanted it to be over even as I muddled through!

However, I will say that the climactic sequence, when it came, was awesome! But the denouement of the book feels rushed; and a lot of complicated storylines (like the red ship raiders/forging questions) are perfunctorily handled. I'm afraid the best I can give this book is two stars.

message 9: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Alicia wrote: "Okay, so I finished this book like 4 days ago and I was trying to wait so that I could compose myself properly and break down my thoughts on everything... that's not going to happen...

Basically, ..."

Back in RA, my alternative theory about Molly's last conversation with Fitz was, if it wasn't alluding to a pregnancy, then maybe it was about Burrich; she had been taking care of him at the time. But I don't think this romance started that far back. However, I've had a feeling throughout AQ that Hobb has put them in so many intimate situations that hint to this conclusion that this was probably her intention all along.

message 10: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Abner wrote: "Alicia wrote: "Okay, so I finished this book like 4 days ago and I was trying to wait so that I could compose myself properly and break down my thoughts on everything... that's not going to happen...."

Burrich, who is about 15-20 years older than Fitz, might be expected to die first, leading to the possibility that Fitz could marry Molly at a later date, and raise Burrich's kids!

message 11: by Alicia (last edited Jun 30, 2016 09:48AM) (new)

Alicia | 26 comments Abner wrote: "I want to see the rant!!! haha"

You asked for it! lol

So going on this being in the mindset of Fitz... Burrich and Molly... or as Fitz thinks of them, his Father and his Wife.... That whole scene GUTTED me... I didn't know what to think, I was sick, I was raging, I was completely taken out of the book into reality and was like WTF!!!!?!?!?!?!?!

I understand completely that the author wrote it this way and no matter what I think it doesn't change the fact that it is so... so with that in mind, here's my rant on it....

Burrich, Fitz may have never thought the words "he's my Father" but what else would you call the man who raise you and did everything he could to protect you? For me I ALWAYS thought from the beginning that this man would be Fitz father figure and from the beginning of Molly and Burrich being introduced to each other ALWAYS pictured them as a Father and Daughter-In-Law relationship!!! In this state of mind, of course he would do everything this could to protect and watch over his Daughter-In-Law and Grandchild, no matter how long that being!!! I can't imagine that the death of his Son would make him change his feelings from Father figure to romantic partner with Daughter-In-Law. Forgive me for emphasizing the roles I view them in but that's what makes this whole thing upsetting to me, as I felt and I feel Fitz felt that they were in these roles so to see other wise....

Molly, for her, I can't pin down exactly where, but since she felt Fitz actually died the first time, she probably had settled her feelings, about moving on from Fitz, earlier then Burrich and Fitz. I never really liked Fitz and Molly's romantic relationship but I've definitely have come to like her as a character. She's a strong, independent person and I love that! In the end she doesn't hesitate to say or do what she feels is necessarily. I bring this up because I feel like this whole Burrich x Molly relationship came about for a few reasons but the main being that who would love a woman with a child? I feel that while the baby was young she did need help with providing and safety for her and the baby, but no so more then what a Father-In-Law would be willing and able to provided. After awhile I feel she could either find someone worthy of her and her baby or be a badass single mother!

I felt like we were suppose to believe that, this relationship was perfect for both of them and I'm just left feeling like NOPE

This is how the scene played out for me and in my mind Fitz... Father and Wife confess their love for one another then proceed to have sex while the Son/Husband witnesses this only to be then pulled out of his body while his Uncle uses his body to impregnate his Aunt.... fun times I fully understand why Fitz gave these feelings away... I wish I could give them away...

In conclusion, I could have ranted further on but didn't, this whole thing cost the book to lose two stars for me so I gave it 3 stars, I can't really even comment on any other part of the ending.

I still love Fitz and the Fool and will continue on the the series!

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat | 8 comments Greetings,

I am so very torn,
I've ended the book for some days now, and I still can't decide if I really like it, or if I am so mad at it.

My overall impression was that there was so much plotting and information that was given to you and left you in suspense for such a non satisfying ending, don't know, the Forging explanation, Fitz children, Fitz not participating on the liberation of the kingdom after releasing the Dragons, etc..

I will continue because I became quite addicted to know what happens to Fitz and the Fool, but overall I am very disappointed at how it ended for the time it dragged to come here.

Best Regards

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Haha yeah Hobb really strings out that answers. By rest assured EVERYTHING is answered in the Tawny Man trilogy! Though the Liveship Traders trilogy is my favorite trilogy, Fool's Fate (from Tawny Man) is hands down her best book of them all.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Also all I'll say regarding the Forging: not all the details are known by the characters. There's a VERY big reason behind it and how it was done etc. you get those answers and more in Fool's Fate.
The Tawny Man trilogy and Fool's Fate in particular are what made me fall in love with Hobb and realize how masterfully woven her plots are

message 15: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Alicia wrote: "Abner wrote: "I want to see the rant!!! haha"

You asked for it! lol

So going on this being in the mindset of Fitz... Burrich and Molly... or as Fitz thinks of them, his Father and his Wife.... Th..."

Everybody loves a good rant, Alicia:)

message 16: by John (last edited Jun 30, 2016 03:38PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Skeletonorchid wrote: "Greetings,

I am so very torn,
I've ended the book for some days now, and I still can't decide if I really like it, or if I am so mad at it.

My overall impression was that there was so much plotti..."

I think Fitz was left out of the flying dragon attack sequence because the author had to stay consistent with previous plot developments, i.e., he might be seen as a pariah coming back to Buckkeep since he's supposed to be dead; which would lead back to the rumors of him using Wit-magic for the resurrection and his being a daily practitioner of that still very taboo activity.

He also feels Molly and Nettle might be better off believing he's dead.

Lastly, I don't think he would feel right leaving Nighteyes( who understandably has a flying phobia and doesn't want anything to do with riding a dragon) to recuperate by himself after that epic battle.

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 52 comments For the build-up this ending was much to fast. I also have to say that I think it was a bit anticlimactic. I always buggs me when I think there is some kind of battle coming and then the maon character just recalls it in 2 pages or something.
It was a brave decision (and one I am not relly on board with) to have Fitz play sich a minor role in defeating the Red Ship Raiders.
We might now know how and why they forged the people but we still don't have any idea how they knew where and when to strike and that was one of the mysteries about them in the first book.
I am (at least a little bit) happy for Burrich and Molly, although I wasn't really surprised. I don't think I like it that Burrich still doesn't know that Fitz is alive. It might be necessary because of Molly but I think it's not fair to him. At the same time, if he knew it he probably couldn't be happy with Molly.
All in all I would say the ending was ok but definitely not satisfying

message 18: by Amy (new)

Amy Richey I enjoyed the ending even though I'm not super fond of the Molly and Burrich relationship. The final end to Regal was awesome though. I hate that everyone but Fitz seems to get happy endings and he still seems broken, just now he is ok with it. All in all probably my least favorite of the three books, mainly because I thought it was too long and drug on in parts.

message 19: by Abner (new)

Abner | 90 comments Alicia wrote: "You asked for it! lol

So going on this being in the mindset of Fitz... Burrich and Molly... or as Fitz thinks of them, his Father and his Wife.... Th..."

haha love it!

To be 100% honest I always saw Burrich more as a mentor/big brother, Chade and Verity more of the father figure (although absent father would be best described).

As for Molly, she did whatever she needed to survive and spending more time with Burrich made her realize that no one had made so much for her in her life, so I think that's the main reason why they fell in love. Even Burrich was more concerned for Nettle's safety, Molly felt protected, comfortable and cared for. She didn't know too much of the Catalyst and Burrich relationship until much later, so i think it wasn't too weird for her.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.