Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
This topic is about Assassin's Quest
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Assassin's Quest - Chapters 11-15

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alicia | 26 comments I feel the pace is alright, just nothing goes the way I expect it, which is okay lol!

I'm happy Fitz got to see his baby girl born!

Sad that Burrich thinks he's dead.

I think the "slower" pace of this book comes from the fact that Fitz can't simply get to his destination without trouble, there's soooooooooo much to wrap up plot wise you'd think he'd have made it further by this point?

message 2: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Alicia wrote: "I feel the pace is alright, just nothing goes the way I expect it, which is okay lol!

I'm happy Fitz got to see his baby girl born!

Sad that Burrich thinks he's dead.

I think the "slower" pace ..."

This half of the book almost reads like a western, except Fitz doesn't have a horse most of the time, and nobody has guns. All that walking will slow the pace down for sure!

Oh, and what is up with that assassin ferret!?LOL. It is interesting that the ferret wants to avenge his human-bond even after the latter's death! I would've thought a Wit-bond was only for life.

Alicia | 26 comments John wrote: "Oh, and what is up with that assassin ferret!?LOL. It is interesting that the ferret wants to avenge his human-bond even after the latter's death! I would've thought a Wit-bond was only for life. "

That ferret gave me life! I love him! He knows what's up! SNIP-SNIP Regal SNIP-SNIP!!! I truly hope he is the hero we've been waiting for to save the day aka kill Regal! LOL

Back to what Black Rolf was saying Fitz needed to learn about Old Blood, he mentioned what to do when one of the bonded dies. I feel that the ferret's bonded partner had no time to prepare the ferret for their death and in a panic the ferret got their dying thoughts blasted into him and he basically lost his little mind...

message 4: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Alicia wrote: "John wrote: "Oh, and what is up with that assassin ferret!?LOL. It is interesting that the ferret wants to avenge his human-bond even after the latter's death! I would've thought a Wit-bond was onl..."

Hahaha, I think you're exactly right! It's a Wit-blasting or a Wit-imprinting, sort of the corresponding equivalent to the Skill version, except that in the Wit it is more of a friendly cooperative thing that reflects the close bond between human and animal.

In Skill blasting or imprinting it is more often a hostile or coercive action, like what an angry Chivalry did to Galen as kids.

That Ferret is only going to have one thing on his mind for as long as he lives: Avenge Big Ferret-Kill Regal! LOL.

message 5: by Abner (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Abner | 90 comments At least Fitz got to witness the birth of his baby girl! Finally he understood that the dreams where him and Moll linking with Fitz Skill. These chapters feel like Fitz's travel log "How did I reach Verity" although that is his quest.

Fitz almost cheats on Molly, or did, depending how you see stuff.

These women in the new duchies that we are seeing they don't take rejection well at all hahaha, when rejected by men they resort to insults and say that they didn't wanted it in the first place!

Holy crap that ferret was funny, sounds like she had a little too much sugar lol, but this brings another thing abut the Wit which is like an imprinting of the Wit in the companion's mind. This is interesting and goes to show further that Fitz doesn't really know much about the Wit.

It's good that Fitz could cancel off the attack knowing that is was a trap, now that he knows he has a baby girl and needs to survive for her.

I knew Regal could Skill!!!! I Said it in one of Royal assassins post and I was right!!!!!

He maybe no expert but he can do it riding Will's strength but controlling it at the same time, most likely Galen taught him and in this way Galen could bind the coterie to him.

I don't see how this deal with the smugglers is gonna go but something bad is going to happen, as always.

My official theory about the Wit and Skill is that they come from the Elderlings themselves, we Know mostly about Eda and El so I'm guessing those are relates. Maybe the other magics come form the other Elderlings in other parts of the world, like the Fool's, hopefully I'm right about this one.

Also we get Lady Thyme 2.0 except this one has +20 Charisma. I really think she's Old Blood.

message 6: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat | 8 comments Well that was fast pacing, read this chapters in one reading. Finally we saw Fitz getting somewhat of a peace of mind with his child being born.
And yes for him and Nighteyes being back together.
The Regal Skilling was a big yay for me also, a big I knew it kind of yay.
Anyone else thinking that this voice ia not Verity?! Even Fitz thinks this at some point.

PS: That ferret! ♡

Sarah | 52 comments The pace is picking up. Yay.
And I'm so happy that Nighteyes is back.

The summary on my back is already said that Molly was pregnant, so sadly that wasn't a surprise. Although why anyone would decide to write something on the back that isn't revealed in the first 100 pages is beyond me.
I knew it was unlikeöy but I really hoped we has seen the last of Molly when she left.
I love Starling, within the last chapters she has quickly and easily turned into my favourite character. I hope she stays with Fitz in the rest of the book.
I loved the scene when Nik and Fitz talked to each other before they talked plainly.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Richey I do feel the pace is slower in this book for sure. I feel it could have used some editing because 800 pages seems crazy since I find many pages of this trip a bit repetitive.

So glad Fitz finally knows about the baby, cause his ignorance to the clues was gettin annoying.

That ferret was awesome

Of course regal can skill

I am liking the new characters but this journey is gettin boring for me. Can we just get to the mountain already

Anita Reads | 22 comments Overall I think this book is dragging a lot still.

I'm happy we got to see Molly giving birth, and that Fitz has now seen his daughter in some way.
Feel so bad for Burrich though thinking that Fitz actually died.

I'm really happy Nighteyes is back again. He has some super fun quotes/lines in this part.

I thought the Assassin ferret was super fun as well.

I really like Sterling, she's an interesting character.

I really miss the Fool in this book.

And can we get to the mountain already?!

message 10: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Anita wrote: "Overall I think this book is dragging a lot still.

I'm happy we got to see Molly giving birth, and that Fitz has now seen his daughter in some way.
Feel so bad for Burrich though thinking that F..."

You'll notice, Anita, that Nighteyes has gotten more intelligent and philosophical since the last book.

That could potentially be attributable to the Wit-bonding with a human possibly increasing his intelligence; or it's also possible this could be parasitic in nature and this is making Fitz correspondingly less intelligent( that would certainly explain a lot about Fitz's poor decision making in this book LOL).

But the best explanation for this is most likely that none of Fitz's longtime human friends are with him in this part of the book, and the author felt the need to spruce up the conversational skills of Nighteyes just to keep the dialogue interesting.

Anita Reads | 22 comments I think you're right about that, John.

It definitely makes sense that the Wit-bonding can increase his intelligence, or make Fitz lose some of his.
Maybe that's also why the ferret (with his very little brain) is still focusing on assassinating.

Yeah if Nighteyes wasn't part of this book, this book would have been even slower.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.