Hobb-A-Long Read-A-Long discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2016 - ARCHIVED > Assassin's Quest - Chapters 6 - 10

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 26 comments Chapter 6
Wow! I was not expecting the Old Blood's!!! To think that this whole time there was a subculture of "Wit-ed" ones with their own communities and traditions!

I know that Fitz is scared and in a hurry to kill Regal but I feel he should of stayed for some lessons, Rolf was basically reading his mind along with whoever else is of the Old Blood so Fitz is basically just running around shouting that he's going to kill the king...

Chapter 7
An interesting development, to have Nighteyes and Fitz go their separate ways for awhile. I'm still upset that Fitz can't surprise Regal and his coterie in person that he's alive!

Chapter 8
I loved Fitz realizing the whole contrast between the inland duchies and coastal duchies, both in the way of life and seeing how unaware of the full scope of the raids the inland duchies are.

Chapter 9
Can't say that I'm surprised by how things went lol

Chapter 10
It's sad to realize that Fitz thinks he's useless on his own.

I like all these dream glances we get, to see how everyone is doing, however I fear that Kettricken may have lost the baby in the vision we saw?

message 2: by John (last edited Jun 19, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

John | 219 comments Alicia wrote: "Chapter 6
Wow! I was not expecting the Old Blood's!!! To think that this whole time there was a subculture of "Wit-ed" ones with their own communities and traditions!

I know that Fitz is scared a..."

Alicia, it drives me crazy that Will discovers Fitz is alive so early in the book. Now you can't have one of those classic climaxes where the hero emerges from out of nowhere and gives the villain his comeuppance, like in the Odyssey where Odysseus comes back years after being given up for dead, and kills all the suitors who have been harassing Penelope.

Regal knows Fitz is out there now, and the element of surprise is lost!

message 3: by Cat (new)

Cat | 8 comments I was very satisfied by the Old Blood fellows! But as always Fitz is totally absorved on his own ideas and does not spare a moment thinking that this training would be exactly what he needs to became stronger. That and the Regal failure put me a bit of. I need something big to fall in love with him again!

message 4: by John (last edited Jun 19, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

John | 219 comments Skeletonorchid wrote: "I was very satisfied by the Old Blood fellows! But as always Fitz is totally absorved on his own ideas and does not spare a moment thinking that this training would be exactly what he needs to beca..."

He really does need this training in the long run, Skel( I hope this is an acceptable nickname!?),( Oh, no! I just realized I typed more letters and expended more effort trying to justify using "Skel" as a short form of Skeletonorchid, than if I had just written Skeletonorchid to begin with in this message! There! See! I've written it twice now!), but I think Fitz is so focused on taking down Regal that this endeavor has taken on some air of a suicide mission, and using Wit powers against a heavily guarded Regal might end up getting Nighteyes killed as well.

message 5: by Cat (new)

Cat | 8 comments Ahah its perfectly fine! Sofia is my name, if you prefer. I understand, and I see where the author is trying to get us with this. Reading it, its most times like living it, when you are inside such history you get a bit frustrated when you are attached to this char. I hope that things do became a bit better for him, but I understand Its a come of age history and that I will have to wait a bit more for it eheh

message 6: by Abner (last edited Jun 21, 2016 05:14AM) (new)

Abner | 90 comments So Nighteyes finally gets to see other wolves, and he's wondering how it will be to be with them and mate, etc. So finally we get to see some people that are expert Wit users unlike Burrich, Kettricken and Fitz, we realize that Fitz doesn't really knows what he is doing, since whatever he does is broadcasted to all Wit users and there's a LOT of stuff he needs to learn. Black Rolf explains that he forged ones tend to seek out or attack people with Wit/Skill. Fitz really lacks a LOT of finesse using this magics. Also Black Rolf tells him that someone must have taught him something because he can use the Wit and they also see bonding with and animal at such a young age (6) as an abomination. So mastering the Wit is not something that can be mastered easily and quick is basically takes decades to master.

Now I'm starting to think that Fitz was created as a weapon , deliberately by Chivalry, a weapon that has both Skill and Wit, to be used by the Farseer's to protect the kingdom, maybe he is the key to summon the Elderlings?

What is Hobb doing!! we are at 20% of the book and this assassination attempt/suicide mission feels like the end of the book lol! But yeah this boils down to Fitz is still a wimp, and verity has to spend all his skill energy just to save him from Will and Regal's coterie. I really wonder how Will is so powerful Will, August was the leader of the coterie and he wasn't this powerful, maybe over the years he became a monster at the Skill.

Much of the book could have been cut specially the farming stuff that Fitz has to do just to get out of town.

message 7: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 26 comments John wrote: "Alicia, it drives me crazy that Will discovers Fitz is alive so early in the book. Now you can't have one of those classic climaxes where the hero emerges from out of nowhere and gives the villain his comeuppance"

I don't think I'll soon get over that it will not happen as you say! lol

message 8: by Alicia (new)

Alicia | 26 comments Abner wrote: "Now I'm starting to think that Fitz was created as a weapon , deliberately by Chivalry, a weapon that has both Skill and Wit, to be used by the Farseer's to protect the kingdom, maybe he is the key to summon the Elderlings?"

I like your theory! Maybe those memories that Fitz can't remember from before Buckeep will be the key to figuring this out?

message 9: by Abner (new)

Abner | 90 comments Alicia wrote: "I like your theory! Maybe those memories that Fitz can't remember from before Buckeep will be the key to figuring this out?"

There's definitely something important in those memories but I'm pretty sure we won't know what it is in this trilogy, The Tawny Man sounds more like it.

I'll say if Fitz has nothing to do with the summoning the Elderlings I'll be hugely disappointed.

message 10: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Abner wrote: "So Nighteyes finally gets to see other wolves, and he's wondering how it will be to be with them and mate, etc. So finally we get to see some people that are expert Wit users unlike Burrich, Kettri..."
It's possible that August was made head of the coterie originally as a nod to Shrewd after Galen badly damaged Fitz's Skill ability (remember that August is a Farseer cousin, and in fact according to a conversation between Verity and Regal( obviously during more amicable times) early in Assassin's Apprentice, the line of succession was: Chivalry, Verity, Regal, August, then Fitz, in that order).

message 11: by John (last edited Jun 17, 2017 11:46AM) (new)

John | 219 comments Back in Assassin's Apprentice, we got acquainted with the coastal duchy of Rippon, and the political struggle between coastal and interior duchies. At the time the more persuasive argument was that the interior duchies' unwillingness to pay their fair share of the Six Duchies tax burden ( being used to defend the coast against the red raiders) was selfish and short-sighted, as they also benefit from securing these trade ports.

Now we are learning that part of the problem is that the interior duchies of Tilth and Farrow did not voluntarily join the Six Duchies originally, but were instead coerced into it (not unlike the absorption of the Baltic states and other eastern European satellite countries by the Soviet Union in real life) by having their trade routes blocked.

This has bred deep seated resentment and dissension in those regions, and you get some idea now of the ideological environment that Queen Desire grew up in, and how her sons Galen and Regal may have been indoctrinated by her and also developed an aversion to the Farseers and the coastal duchies.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 52 comments I am starting to enjoy this book more and more.
It always makes me really sad when the hero of a story comes across a place where they could potentially build a life for themselves but their higher agenda ends up being in the way.
I am annoyed with Nightshade for that reason as well. I know Fotz didn't want to stay with the Old-Blooded but the Wolf seemed even more against it. Yet as soon as he meets other wolves he leaves Fitz without a second thought. Although I'm pretty sure that that was not the last we saw of him.
Fitz really breakes my heart right now. I don't know what exactly changed compared to the first 5 chapters but instead of seeming self-destructibe he now just seema to have this really deeply rooted sadness in him. He sewms to only have the will to stay alive but not really to live. And even if he has nothing Regal still seems to be able to take things from him.
I wantwd him to go find Verity but at the same time I am really worried about what the compulsion will do to him.
All in all I feel like Fitz is turning around in circles. He feels better just to have something happen to him a start from the beginning.

message 13: by John (new)

John | 219 comments Sarah wrote: "I am starting to enjoy this book more and more.
It always makes me really sad when the hero of a story comes across a place where they could potentially build a life for themselves but their higher..."

Well, you know with Nighteyes........a chance to have a Molly of his own( without all the human entanglements Fitz deals with), a true marauding wolf-pack lifestyle; this is what Fitz wanted for him when he tried to end their bond back in chapter 11 of RA. Fitz can't begrudge him a chance for happiness.

message 14: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 22 comments I really liked how Fitz got to know more people with the Wit who he could actually talk about it freely with, without feeling like a freak or something. Would have thought it be a good idea for him to stay a bit to learn some more about it, but we all know Fitz is very set, and doesn't change his mind a lot.

Fitz seems so lonely in this part, especially since both Burrich and Chade have left him, and now Nighteyes has also parted ways with him for a while.

Overall though. I feel like the book is dragging a bit, I hope it picks up soon!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.