The Catholic Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Voting > July 2016 BOTM - Voting

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Seymour | 1808 comments Mod
It is time to vote for the July BOTM. You may vote for two of the books listed below. Enter your votes by replying in this thread. Voting will end at or about 5 PM, Central time on June 19. A book will be randomly selected for elimination from the nominations list from those that don't receive any votes. Introduction to the Devout Life and Cleansed by Fire are exempted as this is their first month on the list. The nominations are:

Cleansed by Fire, by James R. Callan
Churches are burning and a man is murdered, plunging a small Texas town into a state of fear. Father Frank DeLuca, pastor of Prince of Peace Church, is thrust into an impossible dilemma when he hears that another church will be burned. But the disturbing information comes to him via the confessional, and church law forbids him from telling anyone—even the police.
He doesn’t know which church, when, or by whom. Still, he can’t sit idly by, and no law prevents him from looking into the matter himself. The crimes have set the town’s residents on edge, fraying the bonds of trust. Is the mysterious newcomer with ties to the drug scene involved? What about the man who says maybe the churches deserved to burn? Or the school drop-out into alcohol and drugs who attacks the priest with a knife?
Countering this are a young widow whose mission is to make others shine, and a youth choir determined to help those whose churches have been destroyed by the arsonist.
Father Frank’s investigation leads him dangerously close to the local drug scene and he soon discovers the danger has come to him. Can he save his own church? Can he save his own life?

Fatal Rhythm, by R.B. O'Gorman.
In the pre-dawn hours of the graveyard shift, the ICU at the Houston Heart Institute is quiet, and quietly patients are dying. Surgery resident Joe Morales dreams of becoming a rich heart doctor. First, he must survive his assignment to an ICU rife with land mines--unexplained patient deaths, rival faculty, fellow resident saboteurs, a cost-slashing administrator, a ruthless insurance executive, a seductive head nurse, a jealous wife, a critically ill son, an overprotective mother, and an orderly distraught over his daughter's death. To salvage the career he thought he wanted, Joe must determine the cause of the suspicious deaths. In the process, he's forced to re-examine the ethnic and religious heritage that he had rejected.

Introduction to the Devout Life, by Francis de Sales
Written for Christians in every walk of life and for every age, St. Francis De Sales' classic work transcends secular lines and provides a unique handbook of spiritual reflection for people in every avenue of life.

The Jesus Prayer: A Cry for Mercy, a Path of Renewal, by John Michael Talbot.
An ancient prayer for every day: "Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner." These words have strengthened and comforted believers for centuries. The Jesus Prayer comes to us from the Eastern Christian tradition. In these pages, John Michael Talbot explores more of the roots of the prayer along with the theological and practical meaning of each word in the lives of believers today. Readers are invited to meditate on the twelve simple words that lie at the heart of the Christian East. Complete with historical context and exercises for self-reflection, this book shows how a single prayer could sustain the spiritual life of a civilization. Each chapter ends with a brief practice using the prayer.

A Martyr for the Truth: Jerzy Popieuszko, by Grazyna Sikorska

On the God of the Christians:, by Rémi Brague.
[The book description on GR is in French. The following is from Amazon, which indicates it is from the back cover of the book.]
On the God of the Christians tries to explain how Christians conceive of the God whom they worship. No proof for His existence is offered, but simply a description of the Christian image of God.
The first step consists in doing away with some commonly held opinions that put them together with the other “monotheists,” “religions of the book,” and “religions of Abraham.”
Christians do believe in one God, but they do not conceive of its being one in the same way as other “monotheists,” like the first of them, the pharaoh Akhenaton (18th century before J.C.), like some philosophers, e.g., Aristotle, or like Islam.
Christians admit the authority of a Holy Book, but don’t consider it as being the peak of God’s revelation. For them, revelation culminates in the person, life, and doings of Jesus – including his passion and resurrection.
Christians acknowledge the exemplary figure of Abraham, but the stories they tell about him they share with Jews, but not with Muslims, who see in him the first Muslim.
The Trinity is not a way to loosen the exclusivity of the only God. It is the very way in which God is one, i.e., in the inner richness and fecundity of love.
The God of the Christians is Father, but not male. Human males become fathers through the mediation of a female. God is so radically the Father of everything and, in a very special sense, of the eternal Son, that He is not in need of a partner. His fatherhood can in no way legitimate the superiority of the male over the female sex.
The God of the Christians doesn’t want us to obey Him in order to enslave us; He expects us to act freely according to what is good for us. Now, the Good is not something that He has in store and bestows on His creatures. The Good is what He is and He is the Good of His creatures.
The God of the Christians is merciful, but He takes seriously man’s freedom, even
when man doesn’t accept Him. Hence, He doesn’t content Himself with forgiving from the outside. He has to contrive a system (technically speaking: salvation history or “economy of salvation”) that will enable Man freely to accept His love.

The Spiritual Combat, by Dom Lorenzo Scupuli.
The Combat is a practical manual of living. At first it teaches that the sense of life is incessant fighting against egoistic longings and replacing them with sacrifice and charity. The one who does not do this loses, and suffers in Hell; the one who does it, trusting not in his own, but God's power, triumphs and is happy in Heaven. The work of Scupoli analyses various usual situations and advises how to cope with them, preserving a pure conscience and improving virtue. It emphasizes also the boundless goodness of God, which is the cause of all good. What is bad originates from the human who rebels against God.

Staggerford, by Jon Hassler.
It is only a week in the life of a 35-year old bachelor school teacher in a small Minnesota town. But it is an extraodinary week, filled with the poetry of living, the sweetness of expectation, and the glory of surprise that can change a life forever....

Stay with Me, by Carolyn Astfalk.
With her sister Abby's encouragement, Rebecca has moved out of their overbearing father's home. When a chance encounter with Chris ends with an invitation, Rebecca says yes. The authentic way Chris lives his life attracts Rebecca and garners her affection. Chris loves Rebecca and her innocence, but he's confounded by the emotional scars she bears from her parents and an attempted assault. Her father's disdain for Chris's faith and career only make matters worse. With the counsel of their friend Father John, can Rebecca and Chris overcome every obstacle and bridge the deepening gulf between them and her dad? Or will a crucial lapse in judgment and its repercussion end their relationship?

Way of the Ascetics: The Ancient Tradition of Discipline and Inner Growth, by Tito Colliander.
Written for lay persons living in the world, this is an excellent resource for daily meditation, spiritual guidance and a revitalized religious life.

message 2: by John (new)

My votes:

On the God of the Christians

The Jesus Prayer

message 3: by Fonch (last edited Jun 17, 2016 02:40AM) (new)

Fonch | 1107 comments John wrote: "My votes:

The Jesus Prayer"

I am sorry, but otherwise i could not read anything about the authors you mentioned me. It is the problem to live in Spain. The best of another countries did not arrive to my country. And the Catholic Publishing of my country are very slob :-(.
I have heard about Hasslaer, and Remi Brague, if i could support anybody, i would support to Mrs.Carolyn Astfalk, but i could not do it, because i did not read anything was written by her. I wish i had more lucky in the next months.

message 4: by Kaye (new)

Kaye Hinckley | 11 comments John wrote: "It is time to vote for the July BOTM. You may vote for two of the books listed below. Enter your votes by replying in this thread. Voting will end at or about 5 PM, Central time on June 19. A book ..."

Fatal Rhythm, by Ron O'Gorman
Stay with Me, by Carolyn Astfalk

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane Lebak | 44 comments Spiritual Combat
Introduction to the Devout Life

message 6: by Seth (new)

Seth Lemaire | 1 comments My votes:
Way of the Ascerics

message 7: by Celia (last edited Jun 17, 2016 07:10AM) (new)

message 8: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiattoney) I'm voting for these because I have read them and think they are worthy:

Fatal Rhythm by Ron O'Gorman
Stay with Me by Carolyn Astfalk

I was very disappointed to find that my county library system does not carry any of the Catholic books being considered here. It has 2,426 books with the keyword Catholic, but it has 2,102 books about Islam. (Some of them popped up in my searches for these books.) I am new to my county and will request more Catholic books.

message 9: by Fonch (new)

Fonch | 1107 comments Cynthia wrote: "I'm voting for these because I have read them and think they are worthy:

Fatal Rhythm by Ron O'Gorman
Stay with Me by Carolyn Astfalk

I was very disappointed to find that my county library syst..."

I agree with you Cynthia. I miss very much that Goodreads does not let including the category of Catholic Fiction. I have to say thanks for having the category of Christian Fiction :-(. It is a pity because the Catholic Fiction is really good. Besides there are a lot of books that including the catholic writers did not read. For example recntly ihave read novels was written by Maurice Baring. It is very sad that nobody read him. I am going to recomend a good book for you :-).

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 91 comments I vote for Stay with Me by Carolyn Astfalk, and The Perfect Blindside by Leslea Wahl (I know that's not on there, but I'm trying to put that in the nominations list and am still confused).

message 11: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 18 comments I'm voting for The Introduction to the Devout Life by Saint Francis de Sales.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 640 comments On the God of the Christians
Martyr for Truth
glad to see Introduction to the Devout Life too
but please add Pope Francis' The Joy of Love for next time!
By the way, Fonch, you vote for a book you want to read, not necessarily one you've already read and recommend.

message 13: by Fonch (new)

Fonch | 1107 comments Jill wrote: "On the God of the Christians
Martyr for Truth
By the way, Fonch, you vote for a book you ..."

But, Jill, i do not think that it was fair, that i vote for a book that i have not read. There are some books look very good, but unfortunatelly, when you read. These books for several reasons did not like very much. Although you can have an idea seeing sumries, and opinions of people you can trust. I do need the people said to me The Da Vinci Code is awful, only watching the plot, and the things who said the fans, or the critics give me the idea what kind of book is The Da Vinci Code. There are few things that you have very high expectations, and when you read the book these are even better that you Thought in my case happened with Shusaku Endo.

message 14: by John (new)

Sarah wrote: "I vote for Stay with Me by Carolyn Astfalk, and The Perfect Blindside by Leslea Wahl (I know that's not on there, but I'm trying to put that in the nominations list and am still confused)."

Sarah, it has been nominated. It just needs to work its way up to the list. Do you want to vote for a second book from this month's nominations?

message 15: by John (new)

Fonch wrote: "Jill wrote: "On the God of the Christians
Martyr for Truth
By the way, Fonch, you vote fo..."

Fonch, Jill is right, you vote for a book you are interested in reading, not necessarily one you have already read. If people could only vote for books they had read, then many of us wouldn't be able to vote at all.

message 16: by John (new)

Jill wrote: "On the God of the Christians
Martyr for Truth
By the way, Fonch, you vote for a book you ..."

It has been nominated, it just needs to work its way up to the nominations list.

message 17: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 640 comments Good point, Fonch, sometimes a book that receives good press is pretty poorly written, or even heretical. No guarantees in this book club either! What I try to do before I vote is look over the list and decide which books sound like they would be worthwhile, so that I would like reading them and discussing them with others from the group. Of course there's no point in voting for a book that's unavailable in your country or written in a language you can't read.

message 18: by Fonch (new)

Fonch | 1107 comments John wrote: "Jill wrote: "On the God of the Christians
Martyr for Truth
By the way, Fonch, you vote fo..."

Well i try to answer to John, and Jill. Not only is the author has heresy point, sometimes although the author and you agree, in ocassions there are not affinity between him/her and you. Although the most probably is you have reference to the author it is probable that you are not dissapointed with your choice. With all i consider fair to vote, withhout having read the book, because it is absolutely in my opinion the author demonstrate the good opinion, that you hear about him/her.
I trust totally in your opinion, if you are catholic readers i am sure that you would not recomend anticatholic, or heretical books. There are a lot of members of the Catholic Writers Guild, the fact to be members of this organization it is a granty that i can trust in them. I would like that in Spain we had something similar. In United States i think that you are very lucky, because it is publishing good catholic literature. In Spain the publishing are very lazy, and we suffer the problem of the secularism, also we have the political factors the left wing is very anticatholic, and the right wing every day spent is less christian. With all there are more catholic writers than another European countries. In United States i say with good envy :-). You have very good publishing, i am thinking for example in Ignatius Press for saying one, and you look after the quarry. If did not happen a catastrofical event United States would have assured the continuity with more catholic writers :-).

message 19: by Fonch (new)

Fonch | 1107 comments Fonch wrote: "John wrote: "Jill wrote: "On the God of the Christians
Martyr for Truth
By the way, Fonch..."

With all i suppose that i can recomend writers that in United States did not knwo, but in Europe were famous a long time ago. I thought in Maxence van der Meersch, Chateaubriand. In France nowadays has a briliant writer fabrice hadjadj. I want to recomen this book https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... to understand how it is the catholic writing in Europe.

message 20: by John (new)

Voting is closed.

Results will be posted shortly.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.