Beta Reader Group discussion

Writing Advice & Discussion > Working on Multiple Projects?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Tamburro (alextamburro) | 41 comments Hello everyone!

I intend this partially as a discussion but also a question. I'm working in the Beta-Reader phase of my debut novel right now - and because it's part of a series I'm also juggling the writing for the sequel. At the same time, I'm -entertaining- the idea of a completely unrelated project so if there is anyone else out there thinking they are up to their eyeballs in stories, you're not alone.
If you want, you can share what projects you're working on in whatever detail you wish!

For the question portion of this post I ask: Obviously I should prioritize certain things over others but I don't know if I should work solely in the first novel, which is complete and needs editing or focus a little on the second which is about 40% written. Should I "assign" days so to speak for working on a particular project. Any thoughts welcomed!

message 2: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 129 comments I have several as well. Still trying to get the last few chapters for The Last Remnants (teen fantasy/magic girl), Guardian Legend (epic fantasy), and The Enforcer (supernatural crime). Already had enough alpha/beta readers for them.

Then there's trying to complete Enter A Shadowy Figure (sequel to The Most Unlikely Beginnings which is science fiction/action adventure) and Line of Fire (fourth book in the Agency series, psychological thriller/science fiction) - that is if my computer stops dying.

There's a heatwave here and since the house i'm in currently doesn't have AC, trying to divide time between local library and friend's house to try to write. Some days I wonder if it's worth writing because I get so much static about my work and starting to seriously consider just hammering out mainstream schlock just to keep bills paid...

message 3: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Hall | 34 comments It's good to have side projects around on multiple platforms in the event you're unable to access your primary project. They may not be at the same scale, nor do they have to be. That being said, while the first book in the Our Fate series--Ritual of Revenge is currently undergoing beta reading, I'm working on the second draft of the sequel--Trust in Darkness. Additionally, there are a vast number of smaller projects woven into the timeline within the same universe. Most of them stand alone.

It's good to carve out the complete story, which can span multiple titles, as you go. Are you doing your own editing? From the research I've done, and from my own experience, I would suggest seeking a fresh pair of eyes. (I'm throwing that cliché in there for the sake of clarity. Personally, I try and avoid all clichés because it causes one to depend on them too much.) Find someone who knows what they're doing. Don't be afraid to get it done professionally.

Breaking down your time to work on certain projects is a great idea. It helps with organizing your work, though not necessarily your thoughts. Don't attempt to tame the chaos of the mind. Just let the mind do its thing. As for me, I have one project, sort of an ongoing miniseries that's developing, which I only work on when I'm doing the laundry.

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex (asato) Alexandra wrote: "I don't know if I should work solely in the first novel, which is complete and needs editing or focus a little on the second which is about 40% written."

you're almost to the finish line! & since you're already that much into its sequel, then just finish it and get going on the sequel. that way, your first one comes out and then you can quickly follow that w/the sequel. you can discount your first one to get some traction and then those that like it will pick up your sequel.

i wouldn't get distracted by other writing projects unless they're small and can make you some money or they support your novel series.

i have the penultimate draft of sci-fi cyber-thriller novel, but i'm working on short stories first to improve my writing skills, build up a reputation and join the SFWA.

Adrian wrote: "Additionally, there are a vast number of smaller projects woven into the timeline within the same universe."

that is a good idea. you'll build up your brand and niche faster that way.

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Joy | 27 comments Alexandra wrote: "Hello everyone!

I intend this partially as a discussion but also a question. I'm working in the Beta-Reader phase of my debut novel right now - and because it's part of a series I'm also juggling..."

I usually juggle multiple projects - it helps in the editing process. I edit one, leave it to sit and then work on a different project which leaves me with fresher eyes when I finally come back to the other.

I am currently juggling:

1 short story for a contest
2x collabs with some fellow writing friends
1x Novella for the Summer Writing Project
1x Serialised work (it's taking a break while I am focusing on the contests)
1x Sci-fi Novel (also taking a break just over the summer)
3x novels that are part of a series (also taking a break).

So at the moment I'm juggling 4 things, after the summer it'll be like 6 (on top of starting my own critique service). I'm a glutton for punishment.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Frediani I've got four going at the moment. The main story (The Binding) is complete. It's so long it had to be split into four volumes. the first three are out for beta reading and I'm about to put volume four out. All four are still undergoing some editing and rewrites where needed. As I reached the end of what's now book four, one of the MC's took flight on his own and a companion book, Choices, was born. That one was interesting because I originally wrote it with only one POV - his. Then wrote the story again with the other MC's POV. The tough part has been integrating the two into one story which meant rewrites. Choices is now undergoing proofreading, editing and rewrites where necessary. While working on book four of The Binding and Choices, a prequel and sequel of The Binding were born. Brin (temporary title) and Journeys are still in the writing process. Proofreading, editing and rewrites are always ongoing.

*The only time I work on a single project is when it's a short story. Haven't done one in years.
*When a character grabs me, I run with it. Doesn't matter who it is or where they came from. They talk, I listen and write.
*When a character stops talking, I can move to another story until they decide to start talking again.
*When I can't write, I can always proofread and edit something.
*The multiple related projects keep the story fresh, even when it's from differing perspectives.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann Swaim (chirpyann) | 83 comments I just finished my first edited draft of my first novel and I'm waiting for my husband to finish reading it before I can start contacting beta-readers. I just started writing a new story this week and am already almost 4K words in. Also, my husband and I are working together on a script he's had on the back burner for years.

I'm not letting it stress me out though. Honestly, I'm glad to have my second project to distract me while I wait for feedback on the finished draft.

Personally, I write where my passion is. Whatever characters are living in my head at the time, they get the floor. I don't force myself to work on something just to get it finished. If I did, I'd never finish anything because I would get in my own way.

I think, being a new writer, it's good to find out how other people work, but keep in mind this is a very personal experience and you should try things out and find what works best for you. In short, be flexible. :)

GOOD LUCK!