Read for the Win with Alpha Park Library! discussion

Reading vs. Listening

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments I read "real books," eBooks, and audiobooks on Playaway and eAudiobooks via axis360. There are certain books I ONLY listen to, and some I prefer to read.

For example, I will listen to suspense/thrillers, legal fiction, and police procedurals on audio, but I rarely actually read those.

Is there anything you prefer in a certain format?
While I like eBooks, I don't like books that have a graphical component such as Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children in eBook format.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments Right now I'm listening to The Black Box by Michael Connelly. I really enjoy his Bosch series. The characters are interesting, the mystery part is entertaining, and they make a long run go by faster.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments For the most part I prefer audio for anything I read, but it all depends on how good the narrator is... and availability of course. But if the narrator isn't very good then I try to find time to actually read the book.

message 4: by L57 (new)

L57 | 12 comments If I have a long drive, I do like to get an audiobook to keep my brain active. And while I have listened to plenty of audiobooks with delightful narrators, afterwards I tend to say "wow, I really want to read that now." I'm a devoted reader for sure. I like sitting down and immersing myself with a book. Not that audiobooks are bad. I like them. I just end up feeling like I missed things. And I only listen to them while driving, so I'm limited on when I even can listen.

message 5: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 20, 2016 07:08AM) (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments I think I absorb less and don't remember audiobooks as well as "regular" books, most likely because I am usually doing something else (cleaning house, running, driving) while I'm listening.

That's probably why I like certain types of books on audio, that I won't normally read. Formulaic isn't bad when one might get distracted while listening and miss part of it.

message 6: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments The only time I use audio is if I am going to be driving quite a distance by myself. That rarely happens. When it does, I match a book I am reading with the audio. I read to a point, then get the audio to that point while driving and then I go to where the audio stopped and finish the book. I can read a whole book doing that method in a very short time.

message 7: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments Georgia wrote: "The only time I use audio is if I am going to be driving quite a distance by myself. That rarely happens. When it does, I match a book I am reading with the audio. I read to a point, then get the a..."

I've done that on occasion too. but only if I come across a book I can't stop reading that is one of the books that kindle and audible will automatically sync if you have both copies.

message 8: by William (new)

William | 4 comments I really like "re-reading" books by listening to them. I recently re-read some harry potter (the stephen fry version) and really enjoyed that. You know the story, so its easy to enjoy and do other things at the same time.

message 9: by Marla (new)

Marla | 5 comments I love the audible books. Through these I found out that I learn better by listening. My folks would be shocked! Now I listen to most all the books I read. And, yes, I can do anything while listening. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books. Jim Dale has an amazing talent! The Outlander Books and the, well ya' know. I so love audible books.

message 10: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments Can anyone recommend some newer good audio books for a patron. She has read almost everything Thanks.

message 11: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments Most of what I read is YA/Fantasy which isn't exactly the most popular of stuff, but there is a list of new audio books posted on the far end of the cd book and playaway shelves that I update regularly as new materials come in. You can also look at Audible.com's new releases to get a broader perspective of new releases, but watch out for the stuff that are audible exclusives. We can't get those unfortunately.

message 12: by Marla (new)

Marla | 5 comments Just finished the 10th Grave or Curse of the 10th Grave! The reader is great and enhances the books content! The smart ass remarks hits right when Ms Crit delivers it! She also reads most of Evanovich's number books. Good book, better than the last and I recommend it highly!

message 13: by Marla (new)

Marla | 5 comments Georgia, has SZ read the grave books??

message 14: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments Marla wrote: "Georgia, has SZ read the grave books??"

I'm not sure. I will grab them and find out. she usually remembers after I read the back to her. I'm thinking she has. It is hard when they read so quickly and so many.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Rhea | 7 comments I have an audiobook going at all times in the car and one on my phone. If I'm cleaning or gardening, it's great to have something to listen to. I also have eBooks on my kindle or a book at the ready. eBooks are great for late at night when the lights are off and paper books are always good.

Right now I'm listening to "The Testing" (Utopian) by Joelle Charbonneau in the car, "Wildest Dreams" (fantasy) by Kristen Ashley, and my eBook is "On Turpentine Lane" (family novel comes out Feb2017) by Elinor Lipman, and "The Girls" (Mystery/Thriller) by Emma Cline.

message 16: by L57 (new)

L57 | 12 comments Has anyone done the audiobook for Neil Patrick Harris' "Choose Your Own Autobiography"? I'm really curious how that is set-up and read since the book is like a choose your own adventure (where you choose an action and flip to the random page where that action's outcome unfolds).

message 17: by Marla (new)

Marla | 5 comments NO! huh, Ive not. I'd be interesting in knowing too!
Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

message 18: by Alpha (new)

Alpha Park | 2 comments Mod
Not I! (have not read the Neil Patrick Harris book. But, I'm pretty sure SZ has read the grave series, although maybe not the newest in the series.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments I read the book format of it; it would be pretty difficult to do in audio. :)

message 20: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments Thanks for the info. I'll look into some of these