The Creative Writer's Toolbelt discussion

CWT Episodes > Episode 69 - Seasoning the story, how to seed informaiton about character and setting into your work

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 272 comments Mod
So you've identified the key information about your settings and characters, and now you have to seed it into your work.

If you do it right, you can carry your readers into a rich and immersive world with characters they will want to care about; if you do it wrong you may lose your readers altogether. The stakes are that high, and in this episode we explore the techniques and strategies for avoiding the mistakes and making the best of the information you need to give your readers.

message 2: by Matteo (new)

Matteo Masiello As a screenwriter I find this topic challenging. Exposition in screenwriting is tricky and backstory more so. I do a lot of research in topics while developing an idea but find it can be burdensome to the story.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Chamberlain (andychamberlain) | 272 comments Mod
Hi Matteo

I hope what I've said in this podcast is helpful. I think most people underrate how much of a technical challenge good screen writing is, the amount you guys have to do in such a short time is daunting, and I think you probably have to know all of the dimensions: character, setting, plot, voice, absolutely from the start.

You guys have about as much wriggle room as poets!

A