What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA fantasy book about being stranded outside of time.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shauna (last edited Jun 15, 2016 09:21PM) (new)

Shauna There is a group of boys and girls. They are stuck on a deserted island that is stranded outside of time. A dolphin brought them there, there is a library. The mystery is how did they get there, and how do they get home. That is all I remember. Also the title may have had the word Chaos in it. I think this was published in the early 90s.

message 2: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments I'm probably way off, however Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time by James Gurney

Reaching shore with the help of friendly dolphins, the Denisons find themselves on a strange island inhabited by dinosaurs and humans living together in a peaceful, cooperative society. So begins the story told through Professor Denison's detailed and enthusiastic journal. The two castaways have stumbled onto a kinder, gentler world where reptilian wisdom has a decidedly Zen flavor: "Breathe Deep. Seek Peace. Although we find every kind of dinosaur here, it is the humans who catch our attention--characters like Tok Timbu, a blue-eyed African descended from a Yoruba king, and Nallab the librarian, who looks like a wizard gone to seed.

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2420 comments How old were the kids? Are there any adults at all on the island? Do you recall anything about their lives there -- like, did they have to hunt and fish and build shelter, or was it magically provided for them?

Would you say the book was YA or adult? Remember anything about the cover, any names of the kids?

message 4: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Kym wrote: "I'm probably way off, however Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time by James Gurney

Reaching shore with the help of friendly dolphins, the Denisons find themselves on a st..."

No, I remember Dinotopia. This wasn't it. There were no dinosaurs. This book had a feeling of being set in the middle ages.

message 5: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Michele wrote: "How old were the kids? Are there any adults at all on the island? Do you recall anything about their lives there -- like, did they have to hunt and fish and build shelter, or was it magically provi..."

It was a YA "type" of book. No one at all was on the island except the group of kids. I do not remember their names. I'm not sure their ages were explicitly stated, but about 13 to 17. I think one of them was from a rich family, but I'm not totally sure about that. They didn't really do any "survival" stuff. I mostly remember them skulking around a castle and reading books. I'm not sure they ever felt hungry or tired. They lived like ghosts. The cover had a sort of a pink colored "star" on the front of it. Part of the reason I want to track this book down, is that I never got to finish it. So I really don't know the full crux of the mystery.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35129 comments Mod
Shauna, how are they "stranded outside of time"? Is this a fantasy novel?

Where did the kids start off in the story - e.g., on a ship that crashed or was attacked?

message 7: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Yes. This is a fantasy novel. I'm a little blurry on the specifics, but I think one of the characters was knocked off of a ship. I remember him being rescued by a dolphin and getting washed up on the shore. On the island, time is just "stopped". They can't even swim off the island without being brought back on shore by some otherworldly force.

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Shauna left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Gurney (other topics)