Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > I set up a Facebook author page...Now what?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Jones | 23 comments I have avoided Facebook like the plague for years, but I realize that an online presence is necessary for marketing purposes, so I finally bit the bullet and set up an author page. The problem is I don't really know what the page is for and what I'm supposed to do with it. Setting up a website was relatively simpler because I just needed a blog and a place to let people know where they could buy my book, but social media kind of scares me. I don't fully understand it, and as strange as it sounds, I just don't know what to do with it. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

message 2: by Alvaro (new)

Alvaro Bayona | 6 comments Don't be be scared of. Instead, take it as a new challenge to face. What you can do with it is grow a bigger audience and send your fans over there. Show posts of ideas about your books and share it to the world. I kind of have the same thing too since I started my page a while back and I'm so-so with it. I don't have much likes on it but it helps to show that there's another place to find you. Social media helps a lot these days. Well I hoped I helped a bit.

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly Jones | 23 comments Alvaro: Thank you for your reply. That's a good idea, posting ideas I'm working on, and maybe sticking the page's link in my contact page on my website. It seems so big that it's difficult to know where to start, so thank you for your suggestions :)

message 4: by Alvaro (new)

Alvaro Bayona | 6 comments No problem. You know, you can start the page good by sending me a link and I can give a like to the page and I'll keep it touch with your work. Always good to spread le word.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kinnen (KevinKinnen) | 18 comments Holly,

The FB page is your point-of-personal-contact, as opposed to your sales presence, (Amazon author page, catalogue of titles) or your literary presence (Goodreads, writers groups). It has some great built-in tools, under the Insights tab, that lets you know who you have reached, the number of visits, clicks through to your website or sales point (Amazon page) and various other helpful info.

Once you have your FB presence, you can invite your friends list, ask them to invite THIER friends list, and keep all those people seeing your posts. Hopefully some will buy, or just click through to your sites. A few may hit like, or follow you on other sites. All of this helps increase your organic web presence. That assumes you do not intend to buy post boosts, or advertise, which I advise against. The purpose of the FB page is to have a place for you to SEND people. Get into chatrooms, groups, public spaces even, and casually mention your work. When people politely ask about it, and they will, you quickly point them to the easiest and most accessible site for them to use. If they FB, then FB site will be where you send them. The same applies to Twitter, Instagram, etc. All of these points of contact should link them directly to your work, information on upcoming titles, projects, and the rare self-aggrandizing post of a good review to share, or a radio interview, book signing etc.

FB Author page rules - post sparingly, so as not to flood people and get unfollowed. Once or twice a week is a good rule.

Post no very personal info, details, or intimate details and experiences. It is a business front, not a place for your recipes, your dating stories, or pics of your cat.

Make all posts relevant, short, and to the point. No long rants, observational material, or most important do NOT jump on the tragedy-of-the-week bandwagon. Not even in support. Save that for your blog postings.

If you go out and GET your readers, personally, and they can connect to you on their own terms, you will grow faster than with random spam and paid ads.

Good Luck!

Kevin Kinnen

Tara Woods Turner Your warning against paid fb ads is interesting. Do they not work? Are they ineffective?

message 7: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kinnen (KevinKinnen) | 18 comments Tara wrote: "Your warning against paid fb ads is interesting. Do they not work? Are they ineffective?"

I am not saying that, I just think there are better returns on the investment in other places for authors. Ads on FB only make you money if you can monetize the click traffic, and you can't. All you can do with it is drive people to your titles, and use it to allow them the illusion of a connection with you, personally. Pick a few, good pictures, make a pinned post with a brief description of you and your work, and then use it to update your fans and followers. Keep your brand in their streams and feeds, but you have to do it in a subtle manner. Spamming strangers on FB rarely produces a sale.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly Jones | 23 comments Kevin: Thank you for your detailed reply. :)

Tara Woods Turner Kevin
Thank you. I'm still in the learning curve when it comes to advertising. If you don't mind could you share some thoughts on what marketing streams you think yield best results?

message 10: by Eva (new)

Eva Pasco (evapasco) | 90 comments Holly,

I'm relatively new at maintaining and enhancing my FB Author Page. I find that by joining supportive groups there such as: Promote Your Book, Marketing for Creatives, Hungry Bookworms, Scribes and Bibliophiles, Unsung Authors - it's share and share alike. You will certainly have ample opportunity to garner more "likes" on your new page.

Best wishes!

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly Jones | 23 comments Eva: Thank you. I may look into that tomorrow :)

message 12: by Thomas (last edited Jun 16, 2016 07:12AM) (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments Facebook: Here's my take.

Inviting people: I created my FB page when I first published. It was there to be a presence. Many of my likes came from inviting friends to like the page. More came from networking with other authors. Few are from people who have purchased my book and read it outside of friends and family. My page isn't popular by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm okay with that.

Likes: Don't like farm. In other words, don't go to author groups and exchange likes. It inflates your numbers, but what really happens is that those people will disengage from your page and your posts will be shown to less and less people because people aren't interacting.

Content: I disagree partially with what was posted above about not posting personal things. I don't think sharing your intimates with people is a good idea, but people need to see you're human too. Yes, it's a business page, but your business is you (not your books). So my suggestion is to post some things about yourself, what you do for fun, what you like, etc. Just don't make the whole page about that. Find a good mixture of content that might engage people.

Facebook Ads: They're useless. I used $100 for advertising, and after customer tailoring the ad, choosing a very specific audience, and keeping my click through price at a reasonable rate for the time, what ended up happening was I was click farmed. My ad was liked, clicked, and my credit eaten through in a very short time, but I saw absolutely no return from it. Many of my clicks came from foreign countries like the Philippines and China (and I think Brazil too). This led me to investigate and I discovered there are what's called "click farms" where a 3rd party somewhere is being paid to click ads. I'm not accusing FB of paying anyone to do this, I'm just explaining my results and what I've found on the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_farm

Post views: You will find that Facebook doesn't like to show your content to people all the time. In fact unless people click the notifications area and choose to receive all notifications from your page, you will likely see low numbers of your posts being viewed. This is because Facebook wants you to pay to have your content seen more. Don't let this discourage you. Post anyway, but don't buy into Facebook's "buy more coverage" option.

When I think of more, I'll probably post again. Also, holy crap, sorry for the wall of text.

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments Many of my likes came from inviting friends to like the page. More came from networking with other authors. Few are from people who have purchased my book and read it outside of friends and family.

Likes: Don't like farm. In other words, don't go to author groups and exchange likes. It inflates your numbers

This is to be expected when you first make a page, you add friends and family. Next you try to gain as many followers that are fellow authors and also readers. Where do you do this? Well as much as these follow pages on GR may seem pointless they are beneficial. Yes, they raise your number in followers and are they fabricated? Ehh maybe but the idea is you want to build that page up as best as you can. Get followers and if they don't like what you post after a while oh well, you can always gain more.

So my suggestion is to post some things about yourself, what you do for fun, what you like, etc. Just don't make the whole page about that. Find a good mixture of content that might engage people.

Absolutely. Some people do get a bit carried away and get rather personal on their author page. They are trying to interact and connect in a way that makes them stand out but this can at times get lost in the shuffle as you have pointed out. The best things to post are of course business related, about your books, what your up to, share publishing and writing tips and also share content you enjoy from other people's pages, those tend to get lots of likes.

Facebook Ads: They're useless

I used to agree with this until I watched a webinar on how to make one properly. I wouldn't say they are useless at all in fact they are probably your best way to gain a e-mail list and get sales if it's done correctly. The first thing is deciding what to run an ad for. The three best things to run a Facebook ad for are: To gain followers, to build a e-mail list by bringing people to a landing page and to sell books directly by bringing them to a website or Amazon. A very specific audience is good but it should also be a relatable and realistic audience which means targeting authors who write similar to you or the books content is similar to yours. Also it's good to look at the amount of people you will attract, if it's a large triple digit number then chances are it will get confused or lost and it will be hard to tell who see's the post.

Many of my clicks came from foreign countries like the Philippines and China (and I think Brazil too)

Did you target these countries specifically? If not then you should just be targeting the United States and if you want to target another country then you should run a separate ad or else stuff like this happens. It gets too hard to track and your ad gets lost without any wonder if legit readers who are interested are seeing or clicking on your ad.

Post views: You will find that Facebook doesn't like to show your content to people all the time

Yes this is also very true. This is due to Facebook's algorithm's. Facebook knows you want important posts to reach your followers but they aren't going to allow all of them to see it. This is why they want you to spend money to boost your posts, personally I think this is the most pointless way to spend money on Facebook. Facebook algorithms are patterns that act as walls for your content, in simple terms: if they aren't benefiting than neither should you. Images do tend to get more views as I've noticed. Also, when you share other people's images or content that gets lots of views as well, perhaps because your followers plus the followers of whom you've taken the image from as well.

I actually wrote a post on Facebook algorithms that you can read here: http://jbienvenue.webs.com/apps/blog/...

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Kinnen (KevinKinnen) | 18 comments Thomas wrote: "Facebook: Here's my take.

Inviting people: I created my FB page when I first published. It was there to be a presence. Many of my likes came from inviting friends to like the page. More came from ..."

I did not mean to indicate that you should not appear human, simply not too detailed in the personal info. What you like to do for fun is great, posting details of your private vacation may be less interesting to most of your readers. I have some pictures of my classic car, me in a kayak, a few things like that. But most of my posts are on point, since as you stated, not everyone will even see them, and you need to reach people regarding your work rather than your life activities.

message 15: by Nat (last edited Jun 16, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments Alvaro wrote: "Don't be be scared of. Instead, take it as a new challenge to face. What you can do with it is grow a bigger audience and send your fans over there. Show posts of ideas about your books and share i..."

How do you draw people to your page. I have one too and only one like. It's fairly pitiful... Just talk to everyone you don't know? I want want to be annoying or needy.

Ah, but I see some nifty tips as I continue reading the comments here.

message 16: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 240 comments Nat wrote: "Alvaro wrote: "Don't be be scared of. Instead, take it as a new challenge to face. What you can do with it is grow a bigger audience and send your fans over there. Show posts of ideas about your bo..."

There are a lot of writing and writing-related groups on Facebook, and they can help you spread the word about your author page and everything else. It'll be a slow process, but it's a good way to build a base of followers and potential fans.

message 17: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments J.D. wrote: There are a lot of writing and writing-related groups on Facebook, and they can help you spread the word about your author page and everything else. It'll be a slow process, but it's a good way to build a base of followers and potential fans. ."

Well I am on a few, but I am trying to be all 'organic' and not ask people to go like my page. And I do engage with folks... I should just keep trying. Slow turtle wins the race?

message 18: by Alvaro (new)

Alvaro Bayona | 6 comments You know it be really cool if we ask each other to go to our pages and give each other likes. I'll start with my link: https://www.facebook.com/Alvaro-Bayon...

message 19: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments Ooh, good plan. My page is:
https://www.facebook.com/Nat-Kennedy-...

message 20: by Alvaro (new)

Alvaro Bayona | 6 comments Nat, I just gave you a like.

message 22: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Ferguson | 40 comments I'm certainly not an expert, however, Facebook has become my main promotional tool (Partly because, though I have Twitter and use it, I still don't really get it).

Anyway, aside from finding friends (and enemies) you haven't heard from in years, who I found were surprisingly willing to buy my book, there are over 200 pages dedicated to promoting your book. Don't know how to attach anything here, so will try to give you part of my list of sites (though it might be too long for this message):
BOOK PROMOTION & IDEAS
Promote Your Books Here!!!
Book and Film Pimp
Kindle Books Online - Reader, Reviewer, Promotion, Exchange!
Books
Amazon Kindle Promotion
Free Books Review Exchange
Writers Like Writers
Amazon Deals/Coupons Club
Book Junkies' Freebies
Book Promotions!!!
Kindle Author Book Promotions
Titan: Author Book Promotions
Everything Books
The Book Nest
KINDLE READERS & KINDLE WRITERS
Amazon Bestseller Books, Ebooks & Deals
Ebook Central
Write, Promote and Sell Books
Kindle Books 4 U
eBOOKS UK!
Amazon reviews club(FBA, FBM, US, UK)
PROMOTE your BOOK.

message 23: by Holly (new)

Holly Jones | 23 comments Joseph: Wow, that's quite a list. Thank you :)

To Everyone: Thank you guys for all your helpful comments. You guys are so smart :)

message 24: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments Alvaro wrote: "Nat, I just gave you a like."

Thanks, I will give you a like once I get home (can't do fb at work, but gr is okay.)

message 25: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments Joseph wrote: "I'm certainly not an expert, however, Facebook has become my main promotional tool (Partly because, though I have Twitter and use it, I still don't really get it).

Anyway, aside from finding frien..."

I actually hired a Fivrr to post my book to lots of those pages, because I just don't have the time. Not sure if it will promote sales, but at least my book is getting out there for people to see.

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Ferguson | 40 comments Holly wrote: "Joseph: Wow, that's quite a list. Thank you :)

To Everyone: Thank you guys for all your helpful comments. You guys are so smart :)"

There are many more. Facebook lists a certain number of groups you belong to on the left side of your page. The previous list are the ones that are over their quota. Had to copy them out in a word doc to keep track of them.

message 27: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Ferguson | 40 comments Nat: It is quite a job to keep up with. Usually, I just do a few a day; more if I have time. But when I have a giveaway, I try to hit them all. Sometimes takes all day. Facebook doesn't make it any easier, because if you go too fast, they ban you from using the function. There are two functions I'm aware of to post: copy and paste, and share. FB will ban you from either one if you move too quickly, so I try to do 5 c&ps then 5 shares.

What is a Fivrr; and what do they cost?

message 28: by Holly (new)

Holly Jones | 23 comments Joseph: The average cost of a marketer on Fiverr is $5 USD. I've tried that a few times, and I haven't really seen an increase in sales. Although it's a good way to advertise a giveaway :)

message 29: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Ferguson | 40 comments Thanks Holly. I can see that if they are just doing what I do myself. Since publishing in November, posting these groups has grown increasingly ineffective. Even the free giveaways get fewer and fewer takers as time goes by. I will be having a Kindle giveaway Fathers' Day, after which I will be permanently lowering my price, and concentrate on my next book.

message 30: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments Joseph wrote: "I'm certainly not an expert, however, Facebook has become my main promotional tool (Partly because, though I have Twitter and use it, I still don't really get it).

Anyway, aside from finding frien..."

I have heard of some of these but are they all free? I'm aware of the whole in order to make money you need to spend money but it'd be even nicer to know these are free or at least some of them are.

message 31: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments Also I'm not really picky about who follows me and who I follow on Facebook as I am with Twitter. With Twitter if the person doesn't have a picture of themselves or the picture is of that egg thing..won't follow them. With Facebook I'm basically saying I'm not picky lol.

message 32: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Everson (authorthomaseverson) | 424 comments Joseph, thanks for that list. I went through and added some of them to my list.

It seems that the "Kindle Author Book Promotions" group is a fiverr front to promote your book to their "112k+ active members". Their actual group activity is very little, being the two most recent posts were 16 hours ago and December 2015. I'll check them out on fiverr later and report back.

message 33: by Joseph (last edited Jun 17, 2016 06:48AM) (new)

Joseph Ferguson | 40 comments Thanks Thomas and Justin. They are almost all free. Still in the process of weeding out ones that aren't or are defunct. It's an ongoing process aggravated by the fact that moderators are constantly changing the groups' names and whether they are free or not.

You're right Thomas about "Kindle Author Promotions." I believe they started as free and changed when they got a huge number of members/followers. Keep forgetting to can them while working through the list.

As to how effective they are, that's up in the air. I suspect most members are other writers promoting their books.

You also have to beware of the people who want to trade reviews. They are usually the people who bang out how-to books based on what people are searching for on google, have several Amazon identities to avoid detection, and judging by their emails, pms, and reviews, don't even write the books themselves; they can barely put a sentence together.

message 34: by Nat (new)

Nat Kennedy | 317 comments Joseph wrote: "Nat: It is quite a job to keep up with. Usually, I just do a few a day; more if I have time. But when I have a giveaway, I try to hit them all. Sometimes takes all day. Facebook doesn't make it any..."

Fiverr is a website where the job someone does often starts off as $5 and then you add things to it. Usually not more than $20 for several things. People do book covers, banners, post your book in places, review your books... lots of things non-book related too. Go and give it a look see.

https://www.fiverr.com/

message 35: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Ferguson | 40 comments Thanks Nat. Looks interesting.

message 36: by Justin (last edited Jun 21, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 779 comments They are almost all free. Still in the process of weeding out ones that aren't or are defunct.

Good to know these are free, I'll give them a look. I know what you mean by weeding through to see which are defunct as I ran a free and discount days for two of my books last month and I came to a site that had 40 places to promote. For $10 they would send it to all the places, I didn't want to spend the money and I'm glad I didn't as I did it manually and came across several defunct sites. Which meant had I spent money I would probably not have got my moneys worth.

I'll check out these pages and let you know how it goes, I'l comment back on here.

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily Taylor (taylorink) | 30 comments Has people noticed a great drop in engagement on their FB pages due to changes in algorithms? (a push by FB to join paid advertising)