Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

Cold Fire by Dean Koontz > 3. Why is Jim tasked with saving certain people?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jun 16, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
3. Why is Jim tasked with saving certain people? How is his behavior altered as a result of contact with Holly on the plane?

Question modified - sorry!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I actually had a hard time understanding this. Can anyone explain? I felt like it was just kind of tacked on at the end - "Oh, he's always been psychic." But why were certain people chosen to be saved?

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments For some reason he doesn't realize he's psychic at the beginning and thinks a higher power is controlling him. So this psychic stuff only happens every so often. But then somehow Holly wanting him to save more people on the plane expounds his ability and he guides the plane down to save more. IDK....kind of weird when I think back on it and how it all makes sense. I feel like it's something I'd have to read again having the ending in mind.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Jim actually tasked himself to save these people somehow. We never know if they truly became the greatness The Friend explained they would be. Holly's presence on the plane altered the outcome, pushing Jim further in using his psychic abilities (diagnosing the planes malfunction, landing the plane, etc) and being a savior if you will for Jim himself. He would have likely died without her.