The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > Jun / Jul 2016 Group Read Selection - The Killing Season by Mason Cross

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
This is the thread to discuss The Killing Season by Mason Cross. Tad nominated this book.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma | 761 comments This is a fantastic book! I may have to read it again with the group

message 3: by Tad (new)

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments I was lucky to get my hands on this book shortly before it came out last year. I love it when a debut author really hits the ground running with a great character and a strong story. I hope everyone enjoys it as much as I did.

Here's a couple questions to get the discussion started.

The main characters are introduced very early in the book. What did you think of the introduction? Did it give you a good sense of the characters?

What do you think of Cross's style? Short chapters, alternating POV characters. Does this style help the pacing or become distracting?

I look forward to everyone's initial impressions. I'll add more later as people get a chance to read (or reread) further.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 127 comments Hello,
I missed the poll for this month but this seems an interesting one to join in with. I look forward to reading and discussing it.

message 5: by Jody (new)

Jody McGrath (jodymcgrath) I am brand new to the group, but I am excited to read the two books and discuss them. I missed the poll (would've voted for Raven Black Lola) but I am completely on board with these two. Let me know if I do anything wrong or post anything inappropriately. Thanks!

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 127 comments The writing style and rhythm of this book are unusual. I'm a third of the way through and finding the story absorbing.

Tammy Galbraith | 2 comments Is it too late to jump in? This is one of my first groups to join and I am not sure how this works. Do people usually read the book during the month it is chosen and then discuss it the following month?

message 8: by Tad (last edited Jun 24, 2016 07:59PM) (new)

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments This one runs from the middle of June to the middle of July, so you have time to read and join the discussion if you like. You can always come back later too and add comments or catch up on discussion.

How is everyone else enjoying it? I particularly liked the sniper scenes and the whole cat and mouse aspect of the book.

message 9: by Jody (new)

Jody McGrath (jodymcgrath) I am still waiting for my copy of the book. I ordered it but...who knows! I will be back later with comments though. If the book ever shows up...

message 10: by Ann (last edited Jul 01, 2016 02:59AM) (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 127 comments Hello Jody and Tammy,

The other books discussions I've taken part in on this forum have been much more lively than this one! Maybe everyone has already headed for the beach...

Anyway, here's a link to my review for the book. I gave it 4 stars in the end.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 11: by Tammy Galbraith (new)

Tammy Galbraith | 2 comments Thanks for the review, Ann! I hope you are having a good summer/winter!! The beach does sound lovely......

message 12: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 44 comments Really enjoyed the second half of the book with the cat and mouse suspense. Overall a good read and will try more books by Mason Cross. Couldn't put my finger on why but didn't think the first part of the book was as good as it could be.

My vote was for Raven Black by Ann Cleeves, for me it's a better book, but very different. Haven't read The Postman Always Rings Twice as it was a bit too expensive on kindle in UK

Looking forward to next month's choices of tv tie ins,

message 13: by Angel (new)

Angel | 118 comments I am also new to this group and just seen the tv adaptation selections. I will have to see if I can get a copy of this one from the library as its not an author I have heard of.

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments I ordered used copy, will be here soon, allegedly.

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments Arrived yesterday, started it at bedtime, halfway through. Very fast-paced, enjoyable. Rather read than go to a barbecue for my husband's leisure-time pursuit, but such is life.

message 16: by Tad (new)

Tad (tottman) | 139 comments It is a fast read. One of the things I liked about it was its pace. The shifting viewpoints keeps things moving right along.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments Finished this in a day, fast-paced, easy read. I enjoyed it, a 3.5 rounded to 4 stars for me. Interested to see what Mason Cross does with Carter Blake down the road.

message 18: by Angel (new)

Angel | 118 comments collecting my copy from the library tomorrow can't wait to try it seeing as it has been recommended!

message 19: by Angel (new)

Angel | 118 comments Good afternoon I have just finished this book and I am sorry to say its not for me and I gave it 1 star. From the opening chapter I would not normally have continued as it was an action style book like Lee Child that I never read but as it was nominated I persevered.

Just wish as a Scottish author it could have been a Scottish based book and I may have preferred it.

Anyway its another book read for my reading challenge this year. And I hope I have more enjoyment from the D Author :)

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Killing Season (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Mason Cross (other topics)