The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Dancer's Lament (Path to Ascendancy, #1)
This topic is about Dancer's Lament
Malazan > DL: Part 3 (Chapter 12-17)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments No spoilers after chapter 17, please. Anything from earlier parts is fine

Bill | 1596 comments So just started this section but was really shocked that Buell while talking to Silk makes mention of Greymane in a way that suggests he is already famous. I would have thought that his fame came from being a Malazan fist and at a later date than this book takes place.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments That totally went over my head, didn't get that connection at all. Makes me realize just how munched I missed in that first read

I'm about done with this section and it's still really good. What I'm posting now is info from further into this section, can't spoiler tag cuz if phone

Pretty awesome seeing their first trip into Shadow together and then coming across the Azath house. So, apparently, Wu knows he's on to something big but not exactly what it is. But realizes Shadow is an unclaimed realm. Also, the part with the Jaghut was extremely interesting, how he said the Ascendants, especially the Son of Darkness, would not like it. Guess that explains some of why Rake was feuding with the Malazans

Wu and Dorin's relationship kind of reminds of how Kalam and Quick Ben were at times. Kalam, the excellent assassin who's good at fighting and Quick the eccentric Mage who speaks in riddles and won't let even his partner in on all the plans

Really wondering what's in the box. Maybe a seed of the Azath? No idea

Don't think capturing Ryllandaras is going to work out for the mages like they hope.

One thing about this book is that, the Dorin/Wu parts are so engrossing that I get kind of antsy when the other two POVs are there. I really could have the entire book be Dorin's POV I think

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments End of chapter 16! So awesome

Ctgt | 629 comments Scott wrote: "End of chapter 16! So awesome"

Agreed!

Quick Ben popped in to my mind several times throughout the story, especially when Dorin would call Wu on some bit of information he was withholding.

Bill | 1596 comments So some foreshadowing happens for the forming of the Talon.

(view spoiler)

I was reminded of Quick Ben and Kalam as well. It makes sense since they purposely modelled the units that way.

I am wondering since we met Sister of Cold Nights aka Nightchill if Koroll will end up being Bellurdan. There seems to be a lack of mages with Teloman blood so this may make sense.

My favorite POV is definitely Dorin but I am also enjoying Iko's part. I don't really feel any connection to Silk as a character but like the insight into the state of the city we get in his sections.

Ctgt | 629 comments Thanks Bill, it's obviously been too long since I read the main series. I'm not picking up on these nuances, I got the Talon reference but not the specific characters you mentioned in your spoiler and I think your Koroll idea is a pretty good assumption.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Great looking out, Bill! That spoiler tagged section is exactly the stuff I wish I could remember/grab on to. That's one of the reasons I'm glad we're reading this as a buddy read.

Bill | 1596 comments I'm trying. Finished the main series 4 years ago.

Scott (thekeeblertree) | 1049 comments Bill wrote: "I'm trying. Finished the main series 4 years ago."

doing better than I am. And I finished in December of last year lol