Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Does This Book Exist?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Just a discussion to ask whether there is a book published on a given TC subject. I'll start:

Is there a book-length version of the Bill Bonin story?
Is there a book on the murder of Fanny Adams?

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee | 130 comments There is William Bonin: The True Story of The Freeway Killer but its a short read.
Are there any books on The Babysitter murders?
Apart from the short kindle book Young, Queer, and Dead: A Biography of San Francisco's Most Overlooked Serial Killer, The Doodler is there any books on the Black Doodler?

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments The Babysitter murders, as in the Oakland County Child Killer? the only whole book I know of on that is Portraits in the Snow: The Oakland County Child Killings...Scandals and Small Conspiracies. I doubt there's much in there to be seen as the case is still being investigated, but one never knows.

Nothing more on the Doodler off the top of my head, sorry. If Shelfari were still open for business I could do a decent keyword search and maybe find something...I have the dim sense that there was another title but I may be thinking of the totally-unrelated Colin Ireland case.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee | 130 comments Wasn't aware of the book on the Babysitter/Oakland County Child Murders-thanks for that.
The Doodler is one of the most neglected serial killing cases of the late 20th century,considering the amount of killings and the fact the killer was never caught,it is very hard to find more information on it.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 292 comments Lee wrote: "Wasn't aware of the book on the Babysitter/Oakland County Child Murders-thanks for that.
The Doodler is one of the most neglected serial killing cases of the late 20th century,considering the amoun..."

I had never heard of him before.

message 6: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "Wasn't aware of the book on the Babysitter/Oakland County Child Murders-thanks for that.
The Doodler is one of the most neglected serial killing cases of the late 20th century,consideri..."

The Doodler or the Babysitter?

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 292 comments Fishface wrote: "Terri wrote: "Lee wrote: "Wasn't aware of the book on the Babysitter/Oakland County Child Murders-thanks for that.
The Doodler is one of the most neglected serial killing cases of the late 20th cen..."

The Doodler

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Carpenter (emma2009) | 46 comments Looking for a true crime book. Don't remember the name of the book but it is about a woman who murdered two of her daughters in the late 1960's or early 1970's in California.
There were 5 children in the family and the mother favored the 2 sons over the 3 daughters and she killed 2 of the daughters but let the third live.
This third daughter did survive.

message 9: by Shelley (last edited Jun 16, 2016 02:51PM) (new)

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Carpenter (emma2009) | 46 comments Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated. Yes it was about Theresa Knorr.

message 11: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Beth wrote: "Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated. Yes it was about Theresa Knorr."

I personally recommend the McDougal one.

message 12: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments I found a book on Fanny Adams: Sweet FA: The True Story Of Sweet Fanny Adams!

message 13: by Lee (new)

Lee | 130 comments I'd never heard of that one,it looks like it's a self published effort.

message 14: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Lee wrote: "I'd never heard of that one,it looks like it's a self published effort."

That describes most of the new books on the market these days! But at least it's a whole book on Fanny instead of a paragraph in an encyclopedia.

message 15: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 292 comments I read the Doodler book last night in one sitting and really enjoyed it

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee | 130 comments Yeah its not a bad little read but trying to find anymore information on the case is very frustrating I have found.

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 292 comments Lee wrote: "Yeah its not a bad little read but trying to find anymore information on the case is very frustrating I have found."

Yeah there really is nothing much out there.

message 18: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Terri wrote: "I read the Doodler book last night in one sitting and really enjoyed it"

Man, I thought I was fast. You're leaving me in the dust!

message 19: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 292 comments Fishface wrote: "Terri wrote: "I read the Doodler book last night in one sitting and really enjoyed it"

Man, I thought I was fast. You're leaving me in the dust!"

well it was pretty short...

message 21: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 292 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hi......"

Interesting - and that was in my neck of the woods...

message 22: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Terri wrote: "Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hi......"
That handsome devil's photo recently went in the TC Anniversaries discussion. Under 6/26.

message 23: by Deb (last edited Jul 19, 2016 03:17PM) (new)

Deb Tilbury | 3 comments Question- I wondered if there's a book about a crime i saw on a tv documentary. Can't remember what show it was, but it was a husband who pushed his 2nd wife off of a cliff. They thought it was an accident at first. Then police discovered his first wife had died from an apparent suicide, and that she shot her two kids and then herself. Turns out the man had shot his kids, then his wife, made it look like the wife was guilty and typed a note to set her up. It wasn't a recent crime, think it happened probably 10-15 years ago or more..?

message 24: by Shelley (last edited Jul 19, 2016 03:37PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Deb wrote: "Question- I wondered if there's a book about a crime i saw on a tv documentary. Can't remember what show it was, but it was a husband who pushed his 2nd wife off of a cliff. They thought it was an ..."

Robert Spangler?

The show this? - Crime Stories, Season Eight, Episode 6, A Way with Murder (December 9. 2010) or maybe 20/20?

http://murderpedia.org/male.S/s/spang...

Book on Spangler: Married To Murder by Robert Scott

message 25: by Deb (new)

Deb Tilbury | 3 comments Awesome! Yes that's it... Thank you!

message 26: by Shelley (last edited Jul 19, 2016 04:56PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments As Fishface would say, "negative perspiration" :)

message 27: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments I've planted a seed! :)

message 28: by Deb (new)

Deb Tilbury | 3 comments New Question...Anyone remember the show about Laura Black's Stalking on tv...where the guy went into the business and was going to kill her? Just wondered if there's a book written about this case? I've googled info looking for a book reference but can't find one?

message 29: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Deb wrote: "New Question...Anyone remember the show about Laura Black's Stalking on tv...where the guy went into the business and was going to kill her? Just wondered if there's a book written about this case?..."

It's mentioned in at least 2 books but doesn't seem to have one to itself yet:
Profiling The Lethal Employee: Case Studies Of Violence In The Workplace
and
Blind-Sided: Homicide Where It Is Least Expected

message 30: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Does anyone know if there's a book on the time Nancy Kerrigan's mentally-ill brother killed his father? A co-worker asked me and I'd never heard of the killing, let alone a book about it.

message 31: by Jay (last edited Jul 10, 2017 05:38PM) (new)

Jay (mrisolatedalienated) I wish I knew more about The doodler as well.
A very obscure case but also a pretty interesting case.
An even more obscure case is a very similar case and that is Paul Bateson.

Paul Bateson like the Doodler targeted gay men at S&M bars.
From my understanding The doodler victims were usually found around water. Bateson dumped the bodies in the river.

By the way Paul Bateson worked as an X ray technician and he played an X ray technician in the film "The exorcist".

This is the scene he was in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okd4I...

He is the first male on screen. Wearing white and a beard.

Someone needs to write a book about this guy.
They only proved he killed a reporter. The other 10 victims, not enough evidence apparently.

message 32: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jul 11, 2017 11:11AM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3358 comments Mod
Fishface wrote: "Does anyone know if there's a book on the time Nancy Kerrigan's mentally-ill brother killed his father? A co-worker asked me and I'd never heard of the killing, let alone a book about it."

http://www.today.com/news/nancy-kerri...

Kerrigan spoke publicly about the case involving her father and brother for the first time since 2010 in an interview with Matt Lauer on TODAY Friday. In June 2011, her brother, Mark, was sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison for assault and battery in connection with the death of her 70-year-old father, Daniel. Daniel died shortly after an altercation with his son in January 2010. The family has maintained that Daniel died from a pre-existing heart condition, but the district attorney in Middlesex County, Mass., charged Mark with involuntary manslaughter.

“He shouldn’t have been charged,’’ Kerrigan told Lauer. “My dad had a heart attack and that’s that. Since then, we did the same thing we’ve always done — take things one thing at a time, and you get through it. Life’s challenging and hard, and we stick together and move on.”

The judge in the case gave Mark the maximum assault and battery sentence, citing four prior arrests for drunken driving and repeated failure to address substance abuse and mental health issues. Mark was released in 2012 and now works a steady job, according to his sister.

message 33: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12073 comments Oh! That doesn't sound like book material.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.