UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Found some cool links.

When to use a semi-colon.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

message 7: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments They're great!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2994 comments I just avoid semi colons completely, it's much safer.

message 9: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Yay!! My grammar sucks.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Michael wrote: "I just avoid semi colons completely, it's much safer."

Tsk.

message 11: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Reading that one about the apostrophe's it's no wonder so many people get it wrong! Stupid exceptions to the rules

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments And again.

Tsk.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21719 comments If you want to see the apostrophe in all it's glory

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/201...

And it's when you read this, you realise that it's just grammarians making it up as they go along, and what is right now will be heretical and wrong in another forty years

Pass me my shotgun, I'm going apply me some punctuation :-)

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 10932 comments Thanks Patti, the semi colon one might help at work!!

message 15: by Jud (last edited May 09, 2014 05:43AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments Did I get it wrong? I had just read the poster and I STILL don't get it. That tells me that English grammar is stupid.

But I like that Bob made a bacon hat.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I assumed you got it wrong intentionally so I'd grind my teeth.

message 17: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I don't think I'm smart enough for that today, unless I had one brief shining moment and then tiredness clouded my brain and I forgot the joke.

Oh the shame! Thought of chaning my name! And I got downhearted, everytime that I...

message 18: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments You need an extra 'i' in chaining, Jud ;~)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I see we need a spelling thread.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Yo mean a speeling threed?

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments For you, a typo thread.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments What type o thread is that?

message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Jim wrote: "If you want to see the apostrophe in all it's glory

And it's when you read this, you realise that it's just grammarians making i..."

You mean like Americans putting the full stop on the wrong side of the quotes?

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9059 comments I just know that a proposition isn't a good thing to end a sentence with.

message 25: by Pete (new)

Pete Carter (petecarter) | 637 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Yay!! My grammar sucks."

Tell her to put her teeth back in. Should cure it.

message 26: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments Speaking of a spelling thread...

I know I'm not old, but when did the word "babe" cease to exist???

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I dunno - thought it still did...

message 28: by Katy (new)

Katy | 3414 comments I thought so too, and that people were mistyping, but apparently not.

There is no "Hey babe" or similar anymore. It is now "Hey bae"....

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "I just know that a proposition isn't a good thing to end a sentence with."

Nonsense like that is stuff with which we will not put. Unless of course you're writing in Latin, which English is not (despite the opinions of a few 17th century introverts).

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/20...

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9059 comments Haha just noticed my typo *blushes*

message 31: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments There is a wonderful story about a redneck going to University in America. On his first day he needs to go to the toilet. So he stops one of the professors and asks him: "Can you tell me where the John is at?"

The professor looks at him snootily. "We educated people don't end our sentences with propositions."

The redneck thinks about this for a while. Then he asks: "Can you tell me where the John is at, asshole?"

message 33: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Jim wrote: "If you want to see the apostrophe in all it's glory

And it's when you read this, you realise that it's just grammarians making i..."

I did an online grammar course last year, and ended up more confused than before. I am sure half the time it gets made up...

message 34: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1674 comments Tim wrote: "Jim wrote: "If you want to see the apostrophe in all it's glory

And it's when you read this, you realise that it's just grammari..."

It's a period, there. US differences confuse me even more. Oh and Americans put the damn 'U' back in the words.

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21719 comments No, all the time it gets made up A.L. :-)
The rules of grammar are not the rules of physics and English is blessed with many of these rules, some of which seem to contradict.
If you really want to bemuse yourself go to Eats, Shoots and Leaves 2007 and read the section on the use of the apostrophe with biblical and classical names.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Love that book, Jim.

message 37: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Damnable autocorrect.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments ;)

message 39: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

message 40: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "I just know that a proposition isn't a good thing to end a sentence with."

Which is awfully close to my one ever home-grown joke:

A big, muscular fellow is sitting in a village pub, drinking his beer, when in rolls a giant boulder. It comes up to the bar next to the fellow and orders a pint of best. The landlord remarks, "We don’t get a lot of talking inanimate objects in here," and the boulder says, "I don’t know how it happened, but this morning I woke up sentient. So, after I’ve had my pint, I’m going to celebrate. I’ll get revenge for all the years humans have been trampling over me by flattening the entire village." The locals in the pub take exception to this and attack the boulder but, it being of course rock-hard, all they get for their pains are broken fingers and sprained wrists and, well, pains. "And you?" asks the boulder of the muscular fellow. "You look like a tough guy. Aren’t you going to try and stop me?" "Well, no," the big guy replies. "Ever since I was a kid I’ve had this thing about geology. It turns me on. So, after you’ve flattened the village, how about we have sex?" Upon which the boulder instantly ceases to be animate, and the village is saved. And the moral of the story is: sometimes you really have no choice but to end a sentience with a proposition.

message 41: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 4053 comments Ah, another addition to the pantheon of "inanimate object walks (or rolls) into a bar" jokes! Excuse me while I write that one down.

Off topic, but ...

A piece of string walks (?) into a bar. The barman says: "We can't serve you. Aren't you a piece of string?"

To which the string replies: "No, I'm afraid/ a frayed (k)not."

Admittedly this one works better when you say it.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Now known as the groaner thread.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Richard wrote: "Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "I just know that a proposition isn't a good thing to end a sentence with."

Which is awfully close to my one ever home-grown joke:

A big, muscular fellow is si..."

I like that one!

message 44: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Now known as the groaner thread."

Always leave 'em wanting less, is my motto.

message 45: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "Haha just noticed my typo *blushes*"

I thought you were being clever. You usually are!

Prepositionally, it's hard to beat, "Dad! Will you bring that book you were reading to me from out of up?"

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sounds exactly like a sentence I'd say, Kath.

message 47: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I thought it had a familiar ring! ;)
*ducks, runs*

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sudden desire for a huge batch of potato salad.
Into the kitchen, you.

message 49: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Yaz Boss!

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9059 comments Kath wrote: "Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "Haha just noticed my typo *blushes*"

I thought you were being clever. You usually are!..."

Let's go with that shall we? :)

« previous 1