Play Book Tag discussion

The Golem and the Jinni (The Golem and the Jinni, #1)
This topic is about The Golem and the Jinni
June, 2016: Fantasy > The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker - ★★★★★

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments Chava is a golem and Ahmed is a jinni, and their parallel stories unfold with a multitude of other characters introduced along with way.

I loved this novel. Although it is a fantasy novel, I found that it read more as a historical story with fantasy elements (Anita, I promise it isn't too stereotypically fantastical!). An analogy of immigrating to New York at the turn of the 20th century, I found the themes of displacement, disillusionment with religion, and fear as a 'foreigner' thought-provoking and at times very sad. It is interesting to note that many reviewers have described it as fun - fun is not a word I would use to describe it!

Not only was the novel entertaining, but I learnt a lot about the origins of golems and jinnis, Syrian mythology, and about New York in the early 1900's. Wecker set the scene with beatifully written descriptions. The second half of the novel was incredibly suspenseful and I found I couldn't put it down. The first half was a bit slower, but not in a painful way. I was happy to stroll through the pages enjoying the writing as I went.

I think it will stay with me for a long time and am very glad to have put aside my preconceived ideas about fantasy to give it a go. I thoroughly recommend it! I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

annapi | 4849 comments There's a sequel?!?!?!

Susie | 4488 comments Yes! Coming out in 2018.

Ellen | 2047 comments You liked it a bit more than I did, but I agree with all of the points of your review. It is a book that I feel will stay with me as well.

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8144 comments I also loved the Golem and the Jinni. Loved you review and the beautiful way you wrote about it. Might reread it before I read the sequel.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1903 comments I loved this book too and am excited to see there's going to be a sequel.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments So glad you loved it, Susie! I enjoy the fantasy genre but there can often be too much sameness about the books, a rehashing of the same old themes. I loved the uniqueness and creativity of the book.

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Dang, I guess I'm going to actually have to read this one now, lol. The question is - - should I start it now? I can squeeze in one more fantasy read before the end of the month? Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the great review!

Susie | 4488 comments I really think it's a possibility that you will like it Anita!

annapi | 4849 comments I think so too Anita!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita wrote: "Dang, I guess I'm going to actually have to read this one now, lol. The question is - - should I start it now? I can squeeze in one more fantasy read before the end of the month? Decisions, decisio..."

I'm on the fence about you loving this, however I think you may find some of the Jewish history very interesting.

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Ladyslott wrote: "Anita wrote: "Dang, I guess I'm going to actually have to read this one now, lol. The question is - - should I start it now? I can squeeze in one more fantasy read before the end of the month? Deci..."

You were right to be on the fence.

(Anita, I promise it isn't too stereotypically fantastical!)

I actually agree with you on this, Susie. But unfortunately, the romantic elements and the length are not turning me on at all. We may part ways on this one :(