Reading with Style discussion

RwS (Summer 2014) > General Questions & Answers

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Post questions about the Summer 2014 Challenge here.

message 2: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4362 comments Does the prize for 10.1 have to be one we actually chose for the Spring EotP Challenge?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Does the prize for 10.1 have to be one we actually chose for the Spring EotP Challenge?"

No, it does not - some of us just couldn't get to that 11th prize, so we snuck this one in. ;-)

message 4: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4362 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Does the prize for 10.1 have to be one we actually chose for the Spring EotP Challenge?"

No, it does not - some of us just couldn't get to that 11th prize, so we snuck this one ..."

It's a great idea! I might go with the Bailey's Women's Prize because the shortlist for this year is decided now.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2239 comments I like the multiple style points.

message 6: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4101 comments Just to be clear, there are no style points for oldies, correct?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Rebekah wrote: "Just to be clear, there are no style points for oldies, correct?"

Correct.

Styles are Combo, Non-Western, Multiple, Canon, Jumbo.

message 8: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4101 comments Thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Debra wrote: "I'm brand new to this group and am finding all of this a bit overwhelming. . . so, I'm looking for guidance. For this challenge, if I understand it correctly, I could read Maeve Binchy's The Lilac Bus because a member of RwS has given it 5 stars. . . .is that correct? That's my first question.
Question 2. Once I've read it, I post it in a discussion board that I assume will appear after June 1st called Completed?
Question 3. Do I keep score or is there someone in cyberRwS land who does that for me?
"

Question 2: Yes, magically at about midnight May31/June1, Liz will close the Spring Completed Tasks thread and open one for Summer. The first couple of posts in that thread will show you the format we need you to use when claiming points for Summer. Although some of the Styles are different, you can preview that format in the Spring thread.

Question 3: Both. Well, sort of. You probably will want to keep track of your own score. Many of us use a spreadsheet for making a list and comparing scores of various books. Here is the post with a link to a generic sheet you can download and use (and also quick links to the other sites we refer to regularly). While it isn't absolutely necessary that you keep your own score, it helps both you and the scorekeepers if you do so. However, we do keep score for the group. We have a program written just for us that helps us. Once a week throughout the challenge, usually late Sunday, the scores are updated.

I can well imagine coming here for the first challenge is a bit overwhelming. We are glad to have you and please post any more questions that you have. All of us had to learn too.

message 10: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2710 comments It looks like Elizabeth missed question 1, but I know the answer is yes :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Rosemary wrote: "It looks like Elizabeth missed question 1, but I know the answer is yes :)"

I posted it in the 10.2 thread where this was originally posted.

message 12: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2710 comments I just saw it! Sorry, I should have known you would be more efficient! :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Rosemary wrote: "I just saw it! Sorry, I should have known you would be more efficient! :)"

Not at all - I should have said in my post above the answer was over there.

message 14: by Debra (new)

Debra (revdev) | 26 comments Thank you!!!!

message 15: by Liz M (last edited May 31, 2014 06:17PM) (new)

Liz M Rosemary wrote: "I think the link in the tasks list is to the wrong book. The one Kate read for this challenge is The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings..."

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes, this is the correct title - thank you, Rosemary. You may select different editions from that title, but not different editions of the shorter title..."

As some of you already figured out, I accidentally linked the wrong book for Kate's group reads choice. It has been corrected. So that you all don't make the same mistake that I did, the correct title of the book is The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Writings and it contains the following:
The yellow wallpaper
If I were a man
Turned
The cottagette
An honest woman
Making a change
Mr. Peebles' heart
The widow's might
Selections from Herland
Selections from Women and economics : a study of the economic relation between men and women
Selections from The man-made world : our androcentric culture

Herland, The yellow wall-paper, and selected writings
Herland and selected stories
, and
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories are different books with different contents.

If you can't find the correct book at the library, there is a $2 ebook version.

message 16: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4362 comments Does Bruno Schulz count as non western?

Drohobycz (formerly Poland), Ukraine

I can't make the link to an author work at this moment for some reason.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Although he was born in an area which is now The Ukraine, his nationality was Polish. Sorry, not non-western.

message 18: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4362 comments Can we use tasks like baby boomers and summer birthdays for pseudonyms, for example, Galbraith/Rowling?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Karen Michele wrote: "Can we use tasks like baby boomers and summer birthdays for pseudonyms, for example, Galbraith/Rowling?"

Yes - especially this season - the person and her/his pseudonym are the same and have the same vital stats.

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Could I get an answer on a couple of authors in the Baby Boomers thread? Just want to make sure they work/don't work before I post for points :)

message 21: by Kazen (last edited Jun 28, 2014 03:45PM) (new)

Kazen | 612 comments I hope this is the right place for a points question - I'm listed on the readerboard as having 10 points, but the book I turned in was worth 15. I'm going to turn in a couple more books now to heap on more points, so it's all good. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11522 comments Kazen wrote: "I hope this is the right place for a points question - I'm listed on the readerboard as having 10 points, but the book I turned in [a href="https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Unfortunately that has a YA designation at BPL and no lexile at this time. I posted here so you would know.

message 23: by Kazen (new)

Kazen | 612 comments Oh geez, teach me to go so long between posting books! Many apologies. :( Updating my newest posts to correct the total points now.

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 518 comments Can you let me know if Roberto Bolaño qualifies as non-Western? He was born in Santiago, Chile, living also in Mexico, El Salvador, France, and Spain. Though he died in Spain, I don't believe he was a Spanish citizen.

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Can I add combo points if someone rated a book 5 stars after I'd already posted it?

message 26: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 5842 comments Sam wrote: "Can I add combo points if someone rated a book 5 stars after I'd already posted it?"

Yes, please make a new post including the title of the book and the original post number in the completed tasks thread and I will pick up the points during the next scoring session. :)

message 27: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Thanks! I'll do that when I post the rest of my points over the weekend :)