What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Plane crash, lost Vietnam War era base, reincarnation/ghosts, treasure [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Norm017 (last edited Jun 14, 2016 02:16AM) (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments This is probably going to be a hard one, since this was plucked from a remaindered book rack sometime in the 1990s.

The novel opens with the mid-air breakup of an airliner, I think a Boeing 707 in a storm over either Cambodia or Laos, the three survivors (two male, one female) ride the aircrafts tail down to the ground.

Once there they find an abandoned air base built by the CIA during the Vietnam War, in the hangar is a still intact DC3, that might be fixable.

The rest of the story revolves around their attempts to get the plane working, their discovery of the bases purpose, and of a golden treasure (Khemer?) abandoned when the base was.

Complicating this is that the two younger members of the survivors party both find themselves remembering events in the distant past (Khemer Empire), I cannot remember if it is a case of reincarnation or if ghosts attached to the gold are trying to relive their lives through the survivors.

One scene I have a memory of is that at one point the female survivor under the influence of the supernatural elements suddenly recovers and finds herself about to wake the older of the two survivors by performing a sexual act,.

I think a further plot element is an attempt by someone else to claim the gold.

Title and author both wanted please.

message 2: by Norm017 (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments Added note,, something I just remembered, novel is set quite a few years after the Vietnam War, the base is overgrown and they have to make use of a semi-wild elephant left behind by the people who used the base.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34305 comments Mod
A long shot - The Reckoning: A Thriller by Jeff Long?

message 4: by Norm017 (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments Thanks for the suggestion, but that book came out in 2005, what I'm remembering was definitely earlier than that.

message 5: by Norm017 (last edited Jun 19, 2016 07:53AM) (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments Bump - Hoping that this one is solveable.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jun 19, 2016 04:06PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Norm--don't rely on the date that GR posts. Sometimes they are WAY off on that. So check out the information on the book before you say no.

The usual wait period for a bump up is 30 to 90 days. While you have only had 1 response, your thread is still being looked at by our members. If you are worried about not being able to find your thread again if you wait too long, there are directions for finding your past posts, which, if you don't post a lot, can be very helpful. (I'm a mod--I post a LOT, and have been a member for a very long time, so not so useful for me.) Or you can bookmark your thread or copy the address and store it on a word document somewhere.

Oh, and even if your book isn't found right away, don't give up. Just come back and bump it back up to the top of the queue so that people remember it. Some books are found right away, others take time. I personally had a book found after 3 years. And I know of another one that was located after 5 years, because the poster didn't give up, and kept bumping their thread back up.

message 7: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Sounds like Carter's Castle Carter's Castle by Wilbur Wright by Wilbur Wright.

Description:The four survivors of a jetliner crash in Cambodia, an adolescent girl and boy, a Cambodian stewardess, and a former combat pilot, stumble on an abandoned airbase, a treasure, and two skeletons.

Here is a snip of a longer Kirkus review:
Months after a commercial flight crashes, never to be found, somewhere between Singapore and Hong Kong, four survivors from that disaster crash-land on the Malaysian coast in a long-missing DC-3. What happened? Well, as survivor Donald Carter, a 57-year-old ex-RAF man, recuperates in the hospital, the story emerges in teased-out flashbacks. The four survivors: lonely widower Carter; gorgeous Cambodian stewardess Liane; and two British teenagers, Colin and Debby, who were en route to join their families for the holidays in H.K. The group stumbles through Cambodian rain-forests, coming upon a deserted air-strip, huts with food supplies, even an old, probably unflyable DC-3. But, though they can thus survive, there seems to be no way out of the valley they've landed in. So everyone gets itchy--(view spoiler)

message 8: by Norm017 (new)

Norm017 | 152 comments Thank you, that's it. Now to find a copy as this one does not seem to have been ported to Kindle.