What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Fantasy anthology with a story about palace guards interrogating talking furniture at the scene of a crime. [s]

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridgette (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:53PM) (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments I read this anywhere from 2014-2015. Its a fantasy (possibly urban fantasy) anthology. I got it at my local library in Lapeer MI ( the Marguerite De Angeli branch) I've asked about it but the woman i spoke to wasnt sure of the name and my search in the catalog did not seem to turn it up..

The one story I remember, and kind of the reason I want this book, is about either a murder, burg, or murder/burglary. This takes place in a wizard or magician's home and the only witnesses are his talking living room furniture. It was set in magical fantasy land i believe two palace gaurds (i think one might be an elf) or police types interrogate the furniture. Said furniture complains about how messy their owner kept their home/them.

I think the book was blue or purple with a wizard on the cover. I could be wrong I read far too much and often get book covers mixed up.

~*SPOILER WARNING*~

I think one of the chairs is found out to have spoken to the killer/told him where something important was and in return the murder/thief cleans it.

message 2: by Bridgette (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:53PM) (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments I'm pretty sure the book was written after 2000.
Also how so i move my post up in the queue? I've yet to get any replies and am afraid i messed this up.

message 3: by Kris (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:49AM) (new)

Kris | 32292 comments Mod
You have to be patient in this large group. Only 24 people have viewed your request. Sometimes books are found right away, sometimes it takes months or years. We suggest you bump your thread every 30+ days (not more often, unless you remember new information) and bookmark the thread.

message 4: by Bargle (new)

Bargle | 1223 comments The only time I've encountered talking furniture in fiction was in a couple of Piers Anthony's Xanth series, but I don't recall any crime related to them.

message 5: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments Kris wrote: "You have to be patient in this large group. Only 24 people have viewed your request. Sometimes books are found right away, sometimes it takes months or years. We suggest you bump your thread every ..."

Ok thanks! I was afraid i had messed up somehow

message 6: by Kris (last edited Jun 18, 2016 07:37PM) (new)

No worries. You did a good job of providing a clear description, along with the year you read the book and a spoiler warning.

What was the common theme(s) in this fantasy anthology?

Approximately how many authors contributed to this book, and were they all contemporary authors?

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments Bargle wrote: "The only time I've encountered talking furniture in fiction...."

Ithanalin's Restoration

message 8: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments Kris wrote: "No worries. You did a good job of providing a clear description, along with the year you read the book and a spoiler warning.

What was the common theme(s) in this fantasy anthology?

Approximately..."

I can't remember much because i read a few anthologies at the time. It might have been about detective stories in urban fantasy, i do vaugly remember another story about a girl in Victorian London who had some sort of powers and a raven companion who goes to save a friend whose also her roommate. I have no idea if its in the same book though.
Pretty sure urban fantasy was the subject but i could be wrong.

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 763 comments The book with the girl and raven sounds like 'The Wizard Of London' by Mercedes Lackey-one of her Elemental Masters series. Her room-mate had a grey parrot.

message 10: by Bridgette (last edited Jun 28, 2016 01:53AM) (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments Sue wrote: "The book with the girl and raven sounds like 'The Wizard Of London' by Mercedes Lackey-one of her Elemental Masters series. Her room-mate had a grey parrot."

Yes! It was a short story of that series I think. I'm going to Google to see if its in the same anthology as the story I was looking for.

message 11: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments Sue wrote: "The book with the girl and raven sounds like 'The Wizard Of London' by Mercedes Lackey-one of her Elemental Masters series. Her room-mate had a grey parrot."
I checked and even though this sounds like one of the stories I read, I wasn't able to find an anthology with this in it besides ones dedicated specificity to that series. Hopefully someone else might have a clue, I'm rather hopeless when it comes to this kind of searching.

message 12: by Kris (new)

The Wizard of London by Mercedes Lackey for Sue's suggestion. (I used Goodreads' search.)

message 13: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments Kris wrote: "The Wizard of London by Mercedes Lackey for Sue's suggestion. (I used Goodreads' search.)"
Yes but the book I read was an anthology, I checked that out and it's a standalone book. I'm honestly not even sure that story was in the book i was looking for.

message 14: by Mir (new)

Mir | 702 comments Bridgette wrote: "Kris wrote: "The Wizard of London by Mercedes Lackey for Sue's suggestion. (I used Goodreads' search.)"
Yes but the book I read was an anthology, I checked that out and i..."

There is at least one short story featuring the same two girls and parrot. I don't remember where I read it but pretty sure it was an anthology that included other authors, not just Lackey.

message 16: by Summer (new)

Summer | 240 comments This sounds slightly familiar to me. It's possible it's in one of those grim fairy tale anthologies edited by Datlow and Windling? Possibly one from the villains' point of view, like A Wolf At The Door or Troll's Eye View or something.
I think the furniture story was in an anthology with a Cinderella story from the stepsister's POV, where Cinderella's PR wizards slandered her, and Cinderella starts murdering people to keep her place?

message 17: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments Summer wrote: "This sounds slightly familiar to me. It's possible it's in one of those grim fairy tale anthologies edited by Datlow and Windling? Possibly one from the villains' point of view, like A Wolf At The ..."
I do own a book of fairy tale crimes.... i may have been looking for a book that has been sitting on my bookshelf this whole time!

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments Post back if you locate the book, some of the rest of us are interested... :P

message 19: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Did you rule out Miriam's suggestion @15?

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments *bump* Messaged Bridgette.

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1057 comments I'm pretty sure this is from Tales from the Dragon Precinct by R.A. DeCandido. Tales from Dragon Precinct

message 22: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Sep 22, 2016 11:58PM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1709 comments Pamela wrote: "I'm pretty sure this is from Tales from the Dragon Precinct by R.A. DeCandido"

From the description: "featuring the Castle Guard: new cases for Lieutenants Torin ban Wyvald and Danthres Tresyllione to solve, as they deal with animated furniture..."

In the story, "Getting the Chair", the couch and the lantern talk, the mage's dead body was discovered because of a high odor. His specialty? Animating furniture. At least the first couple of pages are available on Amazon.

Meets all the points:
1) wizard's cottage, windows magicked shut
2) talking living room furniture
3) magical fantasy land
4) City guard: one is a half-elf
5) interrogating furniture
6) mage was a packrat / left a mess (the Guard is unable to tell at a glance if anything is missing)

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1057 comments And also it has a purple cover. Thanks for looking up the info. I used to own this book but don't anymore.

message 24: by Cricket (new)

Cricket (clutzycricket) | 9 comments Is it possibly Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural? I see the story there. (The author isDeCandido, Keith R.A., and he has a series based on the story setting.

message 25: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette Griffith | 9 comments Cricket wrote: "Is it possibly Murder by Magic: Twenty Tales of Crime and the Supernatural? I see the story there. (The author isDeCandido, Keith R.A., and he has a series based on t..."

It is! Somehow I lost the thread thank you so much for your help!