Harry Potter discussion

Questions > Use of magic in front of muggles

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg (greggorio) | 4 comments Hello.
I have only just joined your group and begun reading book one for the seventh time. I have a question but i apologise in asvance for posting it if you have already discussed it to death.

Here it is..

Since harry got in trouble for using magic outside of Hogwarts when he fought off two Dementors with his patronus charm, then why is Hagrid allowed to use magic TWICE early in book one in front of the Dursleys, once he is confessed he tried to turn a muggle (dudley) into a pig, but failed?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

message 2: by Aya (new)

Aya Zabalawi (ayazabalawi) | 18 comments He never tried to turn Dudley into a pig. That was Hagrid

message 3: by B (new)

B (deathandchocolate) | 94 comments Also any magic he did before receiving his wand - vanishing the glass in the snake habitat, for example - he isn't accountable for. Only after he gets a wand and goes to school can he get in trouble performing magic in front of muggles. Only when he learns to control it is he held accountable for his magic.

message 4: by Priyanka (new)

Priyanka (Priyaanka) | 38 comments Because Hagrid was adult enough to perform magic outside the school, and he did not have any trace on him so ministry couldn't track him down!

message 5: by Abbas (new)

Abbas A Potterhead | 6 comments no you all are wronggg...
when your age complete 18 years... you are just now adult from teen.... and its allowed to use magic after a limited growth of a wizard... ok

REFRENCE:- Pottermore

message 6: by Julia (new)

Julia | 149 comments Harry got in trouble primarily for being under-age. The fact that he performed magic in front of a muggle was really just the Ministry adding one other law he broke to his trial. It seems like it is only wrong to use magic in front of muggles if the muggles have not been exposed to it before; the Dursleys know that magic exists, so there is no point wiping it from their memories every time Harry accidentally (or purposely) uses magic in front of them.

Hagrid does not have the trace on him, so the Ministry wouldn't know that he cast a spell on Dudley. BUT Dobby levitates a cake in book 2, and the Ministry picks up on that and blames Harry, which really doesn't make much sense. Shouldn't house-elf magic go unnoticed? It seems to be able to defy apparition laws....

message 7: by Nic (new)

Nic | 52 comments Greg wrote: "Hello.
I have only just joined your group and begun reading book one for the seventh time. I have a question but i apologise in asvance for posting it if you have already discussed it to death.

H..."

This is because Hagrid is old enough to use the magic whereas Harry is not old enough,

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I would never use magic in front of muggles only if emergency I will use

message 9: by Zara (new)

Zara  | 23 comments It was because Harry was underage. He still had the trace on him so he was not allowed to do magic in public.
Whereas Hagrid obviously had no trace on him so he used magic in front of the Durseleys. He asked Harry not to tell anyone about his using magic in public.

message 10: by Adwika (new)

Adwika Vishal | 4 comments Using magic in front of muggles would be amazing. I would do it ,record their actions and then use “Oblivious”