Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Newbie needing recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Lee | 1 comments Hi everyone, I wouldn't class myself as a newbie PNR reader just a newbie in not being able too find a series 'to start'!

I'm after a good Werewolf/shifter series but not ruling out Vampires (although I've read a lot!)

I've just read the Scarlett Bernard series which was OK but looking for something a bit more romantic

ᑭIᑭEᖇ⒤ᗩᗰ (piperiam) | 46 comments Zoe wrote: "Hi everyone, I wouldn't class myself as a newbie PNR reader just a newbie in not being able too find a series 'to start'!

I'm after a good Werewolf/shifter series but not ruling out Vampires (alth..."

I just started the Colleen Vanderlinden UF series "Hidden" it's got romance and action. It's really good so far. I'm starting the second book now. I highly recommend Suzanne Wright's "Deep inside your vein" series and also Setta Jay's "Guardians of the realm" series. You won't be disappointed with either I promise <3 Oh and Amelia Hutchins "Fae Chronicles" series!!' All three of these series have amazing sex, drama and action!

message 3: by Vavita (new)

Vavita Definitely the Fever Series from Karen Marie Moning.
The first 5 books are amazing. She continued then the series with a different main characters but I don't find those so cool

message 4: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne Have you read anything by Patricia Briggs?

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 85 comments Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. Shifters, a snarky heroine and ridiculously hot alpha. Love this series!

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments The Psy/Changeling series and The Edge series by Nalini Singh are two of my favorites. There is a lot of shifter action in them. The characters are well rounded and the story lines engaging.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
Maddy Barone has a series set in the future that involves time travel and shape shifters. NOT were-wolves (they are N.A. and that's a totally different animal altogether.) The series is called After the Crash where the Crash does double duty--the time travel is via an airplane that crash lands in the future AND it's after the crash of Western Civilization.

Sleeping With the Wolf is the first in the series. Some are very short (short story length) and some are full length, but the price isn't bad for any of them, and the editing isn't horrendous. (Yes, I DO have OCD and yes, I'm getting it worked on, but bad editing is one of the things that totally sends me insane.)

message 8: by Liz (last edited Jun 13, 2016 02:53PM) (new)

Liz | 3 comments Memoirs of a Girl Wolf is the first book in a series--it must be a new series because the second book hasn't been published yet--it's about a girl who discovers she's a wolf. It has a strong female protagonist told from her pov--girl wolves are super powerful and because they can grow to become so powerful everyone wants them dead so she has a lot of enemies--if you eat the hear of a girl wolf you can obtain their wolf super powers (strength, speed, regeneration, and empathy) so there are other (male) wolves and Hunters (a breed of super human) after her heart. It's a good story, full of surprises--you don't really know who you can trust until the end, but the first book left a lot unanswered so hopefully the next book will come out soon.

And the romance between her and her male love interest is central to the plot--the first part of the book is about them meeting and falling in love, but you aren't sure who he really is or if you can trust him.

message 9: by Lena (new)

Lena Griffith | 3 comments The seven series by Dannika Dark is my favorite wolf shifter series.

message 10: by Jewlsbookblog (new)

Jewlsbookblog | 2 comments JoAnne wrote: "Have you read anything by Patricia Briggs?"

I'll second Patricia Briggs-Mercy Thompson and/or the Alpha Omega series, Ilona Andrews, and Nalini Singh. Mandy Roth and Mina Carter have some entertaining shifter series as well.

message 11: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne I love the Jane Yellowrock series but there are vamps in it. Faith Hunter

message 12: by Jewlsbookblog (new)

Jewlsbookblog | 2 comments Katie Reus has a few good shifter series as well- book one of each series Alpha Instinct (Moon Shifter, #1) by Katie Reus and Darkness Awakened (Darkness, #1) by Katie Reus

message 13: by KritikaB (new)

KritikaB | 103 comments Try Elizabeth Hunter and Patricia Briggs. They are both very enjoyable.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Kritika. I agree, I enjoy both Briggs and Hunter. I just finished a book by Hunter (not paranormal, just romance) that is one of the best books I've read in ages. It's called The Genius and the Muse. It is such a well written book I ended up spending the whole night reading:)

message 15: by KritikaB (new)

KritikaB | 103 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Welcome Kritika. I agree, I enjoy both Briggs and Hunter. I just finished a book by Hunter (not paranormal, just romance) that is one of the best books I've read in ages. It's called The Genius and..."
I just finished The Genius and the Muse too, only last week. It was so so good. I like PNR so, at first I wasn't sure if I would like it. But it turned out to be one of the best that I have read. I think I read it in one day...couldn't hardly put it down.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Kritika, I am on the second book of the Guardian Trilogy by Nora Roberts. They are PNR, and are wonderful. I highly recommend them to anybody who enjoys a good read:)

message 17: by KritikaB (new)

KritikaB | 103 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Kritika, I am on the second book of the Guardian Trilogy by Nora Roberts. They are PNR, and are wonderful. I highly recommend them to anybody who enjoys a good read:)"

Thanks Elizabeth. It sounds good. I will definitely read it.

message 18: by Monie_11 (new)

Monie_11 | 10 comments Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

message 19: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 73 comments The Shapes of Autumn series by Veronica Blade is really good. The first books is My Wolf's Bane.

The Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews is really good as well. the first book sis called Magic Bites.

The Grey Wolves series is also another good shifter series by Quinn Loftis. The first book is Prince of Wolves

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Shelby, Ilona Andrews has written another series, The Edge, that I really enjoy. I don't know if you've tried it yet, but it's well worth the read.

Renneisher Antoine | 1 comments Christine Feehan has a two series that are good: Dark Series, Ghost Walkers

message 22: by Oleander (last edited Jul 03, 2016 10:12AM) (new)

Oleander | 91 comments Renneisher Antoine wrote: "Christine Feehan has a two series that are good: Dark Series, Ghost Walkers"
Her Leopard People series is far better than her Dark series in my opinon. Fever (Leopard People, #1-2) by Christine Feehan

message 23: by Kass (new)

Kass Young | 1 comments Zoe wrote: "Hi everyone, I wouldn't class myself as a newbie PNR reader just a newbie in not being able too find a series 'to start'!

I'm after a good Werewolf/shifter series but not ruling out Vampires (alth..."

The Lux series. Daemon is swoon-worthy.