Play Book Tag discussion

A Moveable Feast
This topic is about A Moveable Feast
Archive: Other Books > A Moveable Feast / Ernest Hemingway - 4****

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5538 comments A Moveable Feast – Ernest Hemingway
Book on CD performed by James Naughton
4****

Early in his career as a writer, Hemingway lived in Paris with his wife and infant son. This is his memoir of that time, when he was young, curious, and soaking up atmosphere with a sponge. He may have been poor but he could still afford to spend an afternoon in a café sipping wine and writing. He could have a nice luncheon and visit with friends, even gamble on the horse races. He and Hadley were in love and had time to enjoy themselves and each other. At the same time, he was immersed in a world that fueled his creative juices. He remembered encounters with Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound, James Joyce and Scott Fitzgerald, among others.

Here’s a quote wherein Hemingway describes Fitzgerald:
His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly’s wings. At one time he understood it no more than the butterfly did and he did not know when it was brushed or marred. Later he became conscious of his damaged wings and of their construction and he learned to think and could not fly anymore because the love of flight was gone and he could only remember when it had been effortless.

Oh, what I wouldn’t give to have shared even one afternoon with these young writers! I’ve been a Hemingway fan since I first read The Old Man and the Sea when I was in high school (or junior high?). There is immediacy to his writing that just draws me into the world of his work. I thank Hemingway for letting me live vicariously through his memories.

James Naughton does a wonderful job of narrating. His bass is perfect for the uber masculine Hemingway, though his deep voice didn’t do justice to the women, especially Zelda Fitzgerald. Still Naughton's performance made me feel as if "Papa" himself were telling me this story of his youth.

Update 07June16 - I re-read it to refresh my memory for my F2F book club meeting next week. and updated this review.

message 2: by Karin (last edited Jun 13, 2016 04:27PM) (new)

Karin | 6882 comments My latest encounter with Hemingway was with him and his wife as characters in Carrying Albert Home: The Somewhat True Story of A Man, His Wife, and Her Alligator, although the author isn't 100 percent if this is fact or tall tale (or a mix). This is why he published this as a novel, even though his parents did have an alligator they took back to Florida.

I don't know if I read this one in my youth or not, but liked The Old Man and the Sea at 16 and then again in teh last couple of years.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I love Hemingway too. I have only read two of his books but I look forward to reading the rest. I read this in January for my F2F bookclub, we liked it.