Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Shining
This topic is about The Shining
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > King, Stephen - The Shining - Informal Buddy Read, Start Date Jun ??, 2016

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion about The Shining by Stephen King

Book synopsis:
Danny was only five years old but in the words of old Mr Halloran he was a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father became caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grew frighteningly out of control.

As winter closed in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seemed to develop a life of its own. It was meant to be empty, but who was the lady in Room 217, and who were the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why did the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive?

Somewhere, somehow there was an evil force in the hotel - and that too had begun to shine...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I'm in for this one! I was able to check out the book from my library yesterday. Someone was nice enough to return the e-book early! Usually with e-books, the people who have them keep them until they expire. *sigh* But I got lucky this time! :-)

message 6: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Teddy wrote: "I've had it sitting in my shelf for a bit now. I think it will be fun to try buddy reading! Can't wait."

I'm looking forward to it, too. Just need to finish my current book (which I actually have yet to start. . .Well, I read the first sentence). I hope to finish it today/tonight, though. It's relatively short (only 230 pages) and it's a reread of a book I really love, so hopefully I'll be able to finish it relatively quickly. :-)

message 7: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Go for it Teddy! I just finished my book and plan to start The Shining in the morning. :-)

message 8: by Lacee (new) - added it

Lacee (laceew45) | 2 comments This has been sitting in my "to-read" shelf FOREVER! I am interested in doing this. I also want to finish my current book which I am on page 150 of 466. But, I so wanna do this!

When are y'all starting this?

message 9: by Bridget (new) - added it

Bridget (bt222) | 1 comments I'm heading to the library this afternoon. I'm going to grab a copy and join you. Reading with you guys will hopefully keep me moving along. Never dines buddy read before but it sounds like fun!

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Welcome, Lacee and Bridget! It's great to have more readers joining us. :-)

As far as I'm aware, we're starting "now." I have the book out from my library (today I was able to bring home a print edition; yay!) and had planned to start today. I think Teddy was planning on starting yesterday/today, too.

You can start whenever you'd like. All of us just need to please remember to put any spoiler-type things in spoiler tags and then we can each read at our own pace and jump in to the conversation when we have something to share. :-)

message 11: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments I finished Part One: Prefatory Matters. I must say, I'm finding (view spoiler) I'm going to get some sleep while the "scary" is still not-too-scary. I'll read Part Two: Closing Day - and more - when I'm again awake. :-)

message 12: by Tien (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tien Thuy | 0 comments Starting to dig myself a grave and crawl into it and hug the SHINNING to myself

message 13: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments No worries, Teddy, just read at your own pace and feel free to check out any spoilers after you've past that part. ;-)

Welcome, Tien! How far into it are you? Enjoying it?

Yesterday I read Part Three and Chapter Nineteen totally freaked me out. Chapter Twenty-Three was also rather scary, but not nearly as freaky for me to read as was Ch.19. (Ch.19 involved Danny; Ch.23 involved Jack. I think knowing it was a five-year-old child involved really ratcheted things up for me. With the adult, I was more sanguine.)

But then the ending! I canNOT believe Part Three ended where and how it ended. We were with Danny and then it ended and Part Four opens with Jack and Wendy, so. . .What happened to Danny?! (I haven't yet cracked the book open today to find out. I'm about to, though.)

:-)

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Well, I've now finished Part Four. This book is really -- scary? terrifying? -- I'm not entirely sure, though I'm relatively certain it's all that and more. It's also fair making me crazy. We have moments of calm, with nothing too scary going on, and then all of a sudden the terror just ratchets up and goes through the roof!

In other words, I'm very grateful that this book is divided into Parts, and very thankful that I've been limiting myself to one part per day. Any more and I think my nerves would be completely frayed. ;-)

There's only one more section, Part Five is the last. I'll read it "tomorrow" (meaning later today, since it's already after 2a on Monday here). And hopefully I'll be able to finish this book later today/"tomorrow." :-)

I hope the rest of you who are reading it are enjoying it! Happy Reading, all! :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Shining (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)