Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > How to Determine Number of Pages?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caterina (new)

Caterina (blueladycaterina) | 43 comments When adding a new book, what is the correct way to determine the number of pages in a book with front material that is numbered separately from the main text? For example, books that have an introduction numbered in lower case roman numerals while the main text is numbered in arabic numerals beginning with 1. Also, how are unnumbered blank pages at beginning and end handled?

For example, I am currently reading The Beginning of Desire by Avivah Gottlieb Zornberg. The main text in my edition numbers 456 pages. But if I add the introduction and manually count the blank pages, it totals 480, the number on the Goodreads edition with matching ISBN. Is this correct? One difficulty of course (although not really a huge deal, just annoying to nerds like me!) is that when entering a progress report using the book's own page numbering (because who is going to count and add all those extra front matter pages to the printed page number) it won't match the place in the book that would be indicated by the Goodreads numbering.

On a related note, my edition of The Beginning of Desire has a different cover but matching ISBN, so I looked up the instructions for adding an alternate cover edition with the same ISBN, and wanted to make sure I enter the number of pages correctly when I do that. (I have a scanner so can get a nice image of the actual cover, which is nice because this cover also has the book's subtitle, Reflections on Genesis, which is not included in the Goodreads version for this ISBN. And on that note, it might be nice to have a field for subtitles that is separate from the main title field.).

Many thanks,
Caterina

message 2: by Bea (new)

Bea ISBN 0805212396 has a page count of 456 pages per Worldcat, which is the source GR uses for page count. The introduction in lower case roman numerals and white pages are not counted.

From the librarian manual: "The number of pages in a book is meant to include all content except for advertisements and preview chapters for other books. Included end material may include acknowledgments, afterwords, appendices, bibliographies, glossaries, indexes, notes, and suggested discussion questions.

Introductory material paged using roman numerals is not included in the total page count."

message 3: by Caterina (new)

Caterina (blueladycaterina) | 43 comments Bea wrote: "ISBN 0805212396 has a page count of 456 pages per Worldcat, which is the source GR uses for page count. The introduction in lower case roman numerals and white pages are not counted.

From the librarian manual..."

Thank you, Bea! In that case the existing edition on Goodreads (not entered by me) has the wrong number of pages. Is that something I can correct myself, or would you or another librarian please correct it?

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea I corrected the ISBN that I noted above. Is there another one you are referencing?

When correcting page counts, we go by the ISBN, not the book title.

message 5: by Caterina (new)

Caterina (blueladycaterina) | 43 comments Bea wrote: "I corrected the ISBN that I noted above. Is there another one you are referencing?

When correcting page counts, we go by the ISBN, not the book title."

Thank you, Bea. The ISBN is 0385483376 for the book I have. I'm not familiar with the edition you corrected, but glad you corrected it if it was wrong too. (I didn't compare the ISBN when you first noted it, just did now.)

message 6: by Abcdarian (new)

Abcdarian | 19392 comments Changed ISBN 0385483376; WorldCat agrees.

message 7: by Caterina (new)

Caterina (blueladycaterina) | 43 comments Abcdarian wrote: "Changed ISBN 0385483376; WorldCat agrees."

Great, thanks!

message 8: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41973 comments Mod
Bea wrote: "Worldcat, which is the source GR uses for page count."

Well, we use it as being more reliable than most other online sources. But a user with the book in hand (and verified ISBN) trumps WorldCat.