The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Mini Challenge Archive 2014-2016 > June Bride (June 2016)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Jun 11, 2016 06:46AM) (new)

Renee M | 4708 comments Mod
*sings* Because it's JUNE! June, June, June. Just because it's June, June, June! *dances, too*

Mission: Read a book that has the word "bride" in its title. Or a bridal gown displayed prominently on the cover. This is a one book mini-challenge to be completed before June 31.

Examples:
The Princess Bride
The Ghost Bride
The Robber Bride
The Bride
Bed of Roses

message 2: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1510 comments Mod
Going to read The Bride's Necklace by Kat Martin

message 3: by Allison, Quest Hound (last edited Jun 11, 2016 08:14AM) (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
Oooh. The Ghost Bride is on my TBR. Maybe it's time to tackle that one! Or possibly Cobweb Bride.

message 4: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

My library has an audio with Rob Reiner reading The Princess Bride which is calling my name. I read it first about 30-something years ago, way before the movie, and found it a hilarious, unexpected gem of a weirdo wonderful novel. I hope it's just as good as I remember.

message 5: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

I loved The Princess Bride! Still need to hunt down Buttercup's Baby to finish the story, but one day I shall find it.

message 6: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Buttercup's Baby??? Must go Google!

message 7: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Yes, if you have ever read the version of The Princess Bride that the movie director abridged, he abridges the first chapter of Buttercup's Baby at the very end as well, at least in the version I have, which is this one- The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Okay, I listened to Rob Reiner read. It was an abridged version which basically left out the framework story which Goldman had in the original. (It was kinda awkward anyway from what I remember, with the narrator going off on tangents about screenwriting, fatherhood, and the state of his marriage.) But I can't figure out how to get credit for both the original and the abridged versions which I read 30-some years apart. So I'm leaving my review of the original and just claiming my mini completed with the abridged audio version.
More information than anyone needs, other than... "Huzzah! Finished!"

message 9: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Renee, if you go to the page for the audio edition, there should be a link to 'review this edition' in really small text next to "My Review." That should add another edition to your shelf, leaving the earlier one intact.

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great! I'll go check that out. Thanks, Allison!

message 11: by Jackie (last edited Aug 02, 2016 08:20AM) (new)

Jackie The 2016 Reading Challenge Group

Mini Challenges > NEW! June Bride (June 2016)

June 1, 2016 to June 30, 2016

Completed 1/1

I will read Hired Bride by Noelle Adams.

Hired Bride (Beaufort Brides, #1) by Noelle Adams

READ 8/2/2016

message 12: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Finished The Bride's Necklace by Kat Martin

I am finding more of these adventure romances lately. A pretty good balance of mystery, action and romance though a bit contrived at times. I am also bothered by the fact of how young all the characters are-Tory is only 19!

message 13: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments I used this opportunity to finally read The Princess Bride

message 14: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Jinx!

message 15: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

I read Cobweb Bride for this. Sort of a fairy tale take on the Persephone myth, very lyrical writing - and a cliffhanger! It was different, and I liked it well enough to read the sequel, I think.

message 16: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments While a month late, I just finished The Princess Bride by William Goldman. What a fun book - the voices of the actors from the film kept ringing in my ears throughout. It had been on my shelf for ages, so I'm glad to have had a chance to read it.

message 17: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Yes! I originally read P. Bride before the movie came out, but they did such a great job with the casting that I cant help but think of the movie actors and their voices. PB was definitely the popular bride book this year. ;-)

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Just updated message 11. I finished my book.

message 19: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Great job, Jackie!

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Thanks Renee. I just couldn't get that one read in June!

message 21: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

I totally get it. That's why we try to leave the threads open for a while, even after we've archived for the most part.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie I'm sure that I am not the only one that appreciates that!! Thanks.