Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > Which Should I Start Next?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (last edited Jun 11, 2016 05:40AM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments So, I finished my fantasy book (phew!) and am about to go on vacation. Which should I read next? All of these are downloaded to my Kindle, but having trouble deciding.

The Dinner
A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing
Hausfrau
The Life We Bury
Purity
Revenge
Shotgun Lovesongs
The Tsar of Love and Techno

I am hoping for engaging, easy to pick up and put down, and not too long/hard.

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments The tsar of love and techno!

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Jen wrote: "The tsar of love and techno!"

Ha ha, I knew you would say that, Jen!! That's why it is actually on my Kindle and not just on a list. Because of you.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments lol!

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I loved Shotgun Lovesongs! I think you will like it too. It is easy to get into but you can pick it up and put it down easily.

message 7: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Nicole wrote: "I loved Shotgun Lovesongs! I think you will like it too. It is easy to get into but you can pick it up and put it down easily."

Thanks, Nicole! I may start with that for the plane then . . .for plane rides, I often like to read a little, sleep a little, so I need a book that's easy to get back into.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2050 comments I second the vote for "Shotgun Lovesongs". Great book.

message 9: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8014 comments I vote for The Dinner. :-)

message 10: by Karin (last edited Jun 11, 2016 12:17PM) (new)

Karin | 6879 comments I third Shotgun Lovesongs. But in the interests of full disclosure, it's also the only one on that list I've read so far. I only gave it 3 stars due to my tastes, but I think Nicole and Ellen are on the right track for you. Have fun!

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments A Girl is a Half Formed Thing is utterly breathtaking but may not be a good holiday read. The Dinner?

message 12: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I vote for Tsar of Love and Techno.....
I listened to The Dinner a last year and it's not really a vacation book to me. I haven't heard of Shotgun Lovesongs.

message 13: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1470 comments Revenge is going to be stories, so easy to pick up and put down ... I haven't read it yet though. Shotgun is a good choice. I was sure Nicole R was going to say Purity.

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Thanks everyone for your input! I'm going to start with Shotgun Lovesongs as that seems to be the closest to a consensus as we can get . . .and then we'll see what happens after that!

I started SL yesterday a little bit, and it sucked me right in, so I think I'm good for today's plane ride at any rate.

message 15: by Nicole R (last edited Jun 12, 2016 05:41AM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Nicole wrote: "Revenge is going to be stories, so easy to pick up and put down ... I haven't read it yet though. Shotgun is a good choice. I was sure Nicole R was going to say Purity."

I adored Purity but I wouldn't recommend it for vacation. I had trouble ever putting it down because I totally got pulled into the story! Plus, there were parts of it, especially toward the beginning, that were a bit heavy. Maybe not the tone you are going for on vacay.

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I agree about Purity. It is a must read though! Maybe as soon as you return!

message 17: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Darn, I'm too late. Tsar is awesome. Read it on the return flight. It's my favorite of 2016 so far. I'm in love with it. I got my book club to read it for June and I may read it again.

message 18: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Made it to Denver. Loving Shotgun Lovesongs! More than half done. Tsar it is on the way back.

message 19: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Yay for your enjoying Shotgun Lovesongs!!

message 20: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments I'm afraid to click the link to Shotgun Lovesongs as its currently not on my list. I was lamenting about how many books I have to read to my husband and he reminded me that I didn't have to read any and that this is a fun hobby. I told him, yes I do have to read them and he just rolled his eyes. I know he wishes he had more time to read so I should probably "complain" to someone else...

message 21: by Jennifer P. (new)

Jennifer P. Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments Crap. Added.

message 22: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments agree with the Shotgun Lovesongs chorus, a great vacation book. I also loved The Tsar of Love and Techno, but that is a book that requires concentration since every story is connected somehow. I found myself having to read some earlier chapters to keep the threads straight.

message 23: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5534 comments I know you're already half-way through but I'm so glad you're reading Shotgun Lovesongs!

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6249 comments Lol, Jennifer . . .you are cracking me up over here!! Really though, Shotgun Lovesongs is going to be worth it

message 25: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6879 comments Anita wrote: "Made it to Denver. Loving Shotgun Lovesongs! More than half done. Tsar it is on the way back."

I figured you'd like this one, even if it was the only one on the list I've read so far.

message 26: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments Yay for Shotgun! So glad you are enjoyinv it. Great book.