Old Souls Book Club discussion

Share your thoughts > Do you have a daily practice? Like journaling, meditation, etc...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
If so, please share!

For me, it's walking in nature, and even though I don't actually call it a practice, I notice that's one thing that connects me to the universal soul. I feel like I get high when I'm out in nature, even gardening in my own little nest, where I'm visited by eagles, hawks, beavers and butterflies. Nature certainly takes me out of my mind and puts me in the presence of a higher Energy.

What's the practice that helps you connect with that consciousness?

message 2: by Ian-Anthony (new)

Ian-Anthony Finnimore | 53 comments How funny!

Both examples so far are fairly similar to my way of calming on an ideal day - slightly lacking at the moment due to being a full time daddy.

J.D we share common sentiments about the universe it seems.

Exercise grounds me - I think its the focus of breathing & all of a sudden now I have started to seriously write.

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments I meditate for 10 minutes in the morning and evening. I journal for about 20 minutes late in the afternoon. If time is short and I can't do either I take a walk in nature - nature is the closest thing to home I know!

message 4: by Saiisha (new)

I struggled with the wording of this question, and JD - it looks like you might have caught me out on it. I wasn't talking about a separate deity or a higher energy or consciousness that we're not already a part of... but we're obviously not always consciously connected to it, which is why we develop these practices to meditate or journal or walk in nature.

The more we can stay in that connectedness the less we'll need to rely on specific practices, but what an amazing life that would be, to live in that consciousness all the time :)

Exercise (movement, play, dance) and even thrills (like motorbiking, race car driving, jumping off cliffs), are a way to change our energy - I don't seem to tap into that much, so I like hearing people's experiences who do, thanks for sharing your Ian-Anthony!

Barbara - completely agree with you about nature - I feel so at home in it too!!

message 5: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments I have also heard that participation in any of the arts is a connection to our higher self. Music (whether listening or playing), art, and/or writing do seem to touch a deep chord within us at least it does for me.

message 6: by Saiisha (new)

Barbara wrote: "I have also heard that participation in any of the arts is a connection to our higher self. Music (whether listening or playing), art, and/or writing do seem to touch a deep chord within us at leas..."

So true Barbara - reminds me of Rainn Wilson's quote, "The making of art is no different than prayer."

message 7: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments I walk in my neighborhood which contains many evergreen trees and is very peaceful. I would certainly like your walk Saiisha with the animals.

Breathing and mindful meditation are essential for me. They changed my life! I also have begun to enjoy Qi Gong and Tai Chi.

message 8: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Northey | 40 comments Writing

message 9: by Saiisha (new)

James wrote: "I walk in my neighborhood which contains many evergreen trees and is very peaceful. I would certainly like your walk Saiisha with the animals.

Breathing and mindful meditation are essential for me..."

Thank you James! Breathing is a beautiful way to connect with that "which cannot be spoken of" :)

message 10: by James (new)

James Allen (james_allen) | 73 comments Saiisha wrote: "Thank you James! Breathing is a beautiful way to connect with that "which cannot be spoken of" :) "

I'm listening to Guided Meditations by Jack Kornfield. Excellent meditations and his voice is so relaxing.

message 11: by Saiisha (new)

S.L. wrote: "Writing"

Yes, of course! :)

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie | 53 comments I have been journaling since I have been old enough to write, for different reasons than why I journal now. Before out of necessity to get rid of immense feelings. Now I have a necessity to journal but it's more because it's such a part of me and sometimes I find myself journaling without even knowing it (i.e. in the middle of the night, a large note on my phone etc).

My other practices and I would say things that "connect me" are the things I do that I get totally lost in, and I would say, in addition to journaling, listening to music, or about music, reading and certain, certain exercises I get lost in, to the point where I lose time. Research, if I'm into what I'm researching, I could be doing it for hours without even knowing it.

Anyway, Saiisha, I know that quote by Rainn Wilson and when I heard him say it I was totally in agreement, I was fixated on his words like "OMGee that makes perfect sense to me, I totally get that".

message 13: by Saiisha (new)

Julie wrote: "I have been journaling since I have been old enough to write, for different reasons than why I journal now. Before out of necessity to get rid of immense feelings. Now I have a necessity to journal..."

Love this Julie - that you're so easily able to follow that call from within - journaling, music, reading, exercising, research... this is how we should live our lives!! :)