Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)
This topic is about A Feast for Crows
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
A Feast For Crows Discussions > A Feast For Crows ~ 47 APPENDIX/ENTIRE BOOK *Discuss the appendix and the book as a whole

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 3 stars

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
A Feast For Crows ~ 47 APPENDIX/ENTIRE BOOK *Discuss the appendix and the book as a whole

message 2: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 3 stars

Discussion Questions

This book and A Dance with Dragons are really two parts of the same (giant book). Did you like that GRRM split the books by narrator?

Do you think that GRRM is getting swamped by the sheer number of characters he has in these books? In this book alone, we have 9 new narrators.

Cersei has spent most her time in the other books trying to get power, but now that she has it, she can't really handle it. Why do you think that is?

Do you think that Jon had Samwell's best interests in mind when he sent him to be a maester or is he thinking of the Watch?

Why do you think the Brotherhood without Banners brought Catelyn back to life?

Every member of the Martell family has their own plans. Which one do you think is the best?

Why do you think the Faceless Men gave Arya the milk that caused her to go blind?

Why do you think is Jaime worried about his honor now? He has turned his back on his family to do so.

Who, as a narrator, do you miss most in this novel?

LENA TRAK | 221 comments 1. This book and A Dance with Dragons are really two parts of the same (giant book). Did you like that GRRM split the books by narrator?

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the others but now that I have finished it I think it was a good idea.

2. Do you think that GRRM is getting swamped by the sheer number of characters he has in these books? In this book alone, we have 9 new narrators.

That is my one big problem with his books. All these names all these characters...Some of the characters are quite important but I am simply unable to remember them. Sometimes I do remember the name but I cannot remember who the person is. If I am lucky and remember the chapter the name appeared I reread it.

3. Cersei has spent most her time in the other books trying to get power, but now that she has it, she can't really handle it. Why do you think that is?

Because she lack 2 basic qualities: EMPATHY, TEAMWORK. Of course she cannot handle it.

4. Do you think that Jon had Samwell's best interests in mind when he sent him to be a maester or is he thinking of the Watch?

I haven't really thought about it... Since he is so dutiful I guess he did it for the watch.

5. Why do you think the Brotherhood without Banners brought Catelyn back to life?

They haven't showed this in the TV series so I am guessing it's not so important. Maybe they will resurrect her in season 7. Well the only reason I can think of is that they have a common enemy: the Lannisters. Since the rest of the Stark family members are either dead or missing Catelyn would serve as the face of the war, the face of revenge. Perhaps they are going to spread rumors that she is alive which will intimidate both the Freys and the Lannisters.

6. Every member of the Martell family has their own plans. Which one do you think is the best?

I liked Arianne's plan.

7. Why do you think the Faceless Men gave Arya the milk that caused her to go blind?

Oh I know the reason and I wouldn't want to spoil it! I think it's easy to guess though!

8. Why do you think is Jaime worried about his honor now? He has turned his back on his family to do so.

Because he finally realises that his whole life he has been sort of a slave to the sick plans of his family. He has never felt happy. He is not getting any younger, he has lost a hand and his page on the book with the Kingsguard's achievements is still empty. So he breaks free.

9. Who, as a narrator, do you miss most in this novel?

T Y R I O N !!!!!!!!

message 4: by Ria (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Interesting questions and I love your answers, Lena.

This book and A Dance with Dragons are really two parts of the same (giant book). Did you like that GRRM split the books by narrator?
Well, it made for a more boring book because of which characters were chosen, though it did get really interesting towards the last few chapters. It did, however, also make the book much more concise than it would've been otherwise. If the books hadn't been split, there would've been 25 POV characters to follow. That's a damn huge number. It would've been way too complicated. So yeah, it was a good decision.

Do you think that GRRM is getting swamped by the sheer number of characters he has in these books? In this book alone, we have 9 new narrators.
I think he's handling it perfectly so far. It's hard for the reader to follow, though. I had to go back to the Prologue to see exactly who the Mage, the Sphynx and Leo Tyrell were and I only now understood some connections that I hadn't made during my first read. It's making the book heavy and complicated, but there haven't been any plotholes so far, or inconsistencies, and as long as he can resolve all plotlines without them feeling rushed, all is fine. I actually like how the book was obviously written for intelligent people. (Not that I'm flattering myself, but I'm flattering myself lol) No, seriously, though, the books have been getting more and more complicated and I hope he doesn't add more characters in TWoW, unless he means to show an important part of the story and then kill them right away, because I don't think he'll have the time to develop them properly otherwise, and it would hurt the plot.

Cersei has spent most her time in the other books trying to get power, but now that she has it, she can't really handle it. Why do you think that is?
She wants power, but she doesn't know what to do with it. I've said this before, but her rule has no goal, no direction. Her plans are rushed, she makes conclusions based on zero evidence (like the one that the Greyjoys are working with Stannis, which we know is not true) and she is short-sighted. She never thinks about how events that don't relate to her now can have an effect on her later. It's kind of like people irl who think that Brexit is a solitary event that won't affect the politics of anyone but the EU and Britain. It's all connected. Push one domino and all the others start to fall. Cersei doesn't see that. She has one seemingly good idea and immediately rushes into it without carefully thinking about all the possible consequences (like what happened with Kettleblack and restoring the Warriors of the Seven and all the other orders...).

Do you think that Jon had Samwell's best interests in mind when he sent him to be a maester or is he thinking of the Watch?
Why do they have to be different? Sam is not a fighter, we all know that. If he remains on the Wall, he will have to fight and will most likely end up dead. Going to the Wall ensures his life and at the same time brings the knowledge of the Citadel to the Watch - something they are in dire need of right now. Jon actually thought Sam would be delighted to know he'd become a maester. It was a great decision. It's not his fault that Lord Tarly is an asshole.

Actually, Dondarrion brought her to life - Thoros didn't want to. I think they've lost their way. They've gone from justice to vengeance. I honestly don't know what they're planning to do now and I don't know why Beric saved her.

Every member of the Martell family has their own plans. Which one do you think is the best?
I'd like to see Myrcella crowned, but Doran's plan is absoluely brilliant. He's been making preparations for years and I am sure that absolutely no one will see it coming. Too bad it looks like everything is falling apart.

Why do you think the Faceless Men gave Arya the milk that caused her to go blind?
Well, it's probably a lesson of some sort. Were they angry that he killed Dareon or would they've made her blind anyway? I think the latter, but I can't be 100% sure. I can't remember exactly what happened afterwards, though.

Why do you think is Jaime worried about his honor now? He has turned his back on his family to do so.
I think losing his hand has made him rethink his whole life. Perhaps Brienne had something to do with it as well. It was because of Aerys that people thought him dishonorable, I think that made him angry and in the end it was more like "You want dishonorable? Fine, so be it. I shall be dishonorable." But now he's rethinking everything. Being an excellent fighter meant he could deal quickly with everyone who angered him, but now that's not an option anymore, he has to stop and think, if he wants to stay alive. I think having reason as his driving force, rather than anger, is making him finally see things (Cersei) as what they truly are. And I agree with what Lena said. He was a slave to his family and to society's expectations of him.

Bran and Theon. I have no strong feelings for Bran, but his arc has always been the most interesting one for me. Theon is my favourite character, though tbh, knowing what is happening to him right now, knowing that my heart will break into a million pieces in ADwD, it was a kindness I did not have to through it in AFfC.

message 5: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ooops I forgot to answer some of these questions. It is not so fresh in my mind anymore so I will just answer one.

"Why do you think is Jaime worried about his honor now? He has turned his back on his family to do so."

I think he got away from his messed up family and Kings Landing for a while and got a taste of life without all the things a Lannister has.
He learned from this and saw things very differently. He spent time with respectful people (Catelyn and Brienne) and now knows his family sucks.

Vishakha Motwani (vimo) | 150 comments This book and A Dance with Dragons are really two parts of the same (giant book). Did you like that GRRM split the books by narrator?

Not really, it was hard to get through this.

I think he probably has some chart or crazy pin board all around his house and a huge map with pins and strings stuck all over, different color for each character. But I think he's got his sh*t together, swamped -yes, confused -no no no no

One of the reasons I really think that is simply because she is a female, people take Jaime more seriously than her. I used to think she is going to be smart about being the queen but her personal issues overpower the political stuff, like she has enemies all around her now which btw is her doing.

To be honest, there is no better person than Sam to find out how The Night's Watch can defeat the dead and having experienced to fight them, both Jon and Sam are aware how important that is. So Jon, I guess has made up his mind that he is not going to get any help from the Seven Kingdoms since they don't believe, who better than Sam to figure out.
Jon would have kept in mind Sam's best interests even if he remained at the wall.

I doubt the Brotherhood even knew who that lady is, do you know if they knew it? If they recognized her, then probably they were just thinking one Lady to add to the Brotherhood. I don't think there's any great reason behind it.

Doran has the best plan but its painfully slow. Others probably just have an adrenalin rush.

They want to make a fighter out of her, so I guess its a part of the training.

A man is known by the company he keeps. All this while he was with Lannisters, so when he met people like Robb, Catelyn and Brienne for whom honor and duty come first and family too if they are honorable enough, he must have realized what he has done!

Ohh man so many, I do want to mention I liked Cersei's chapters, that wicked female. I missed TYRION, Jon, Dany, wanted more of Arya, I know Varys was never a narrator but something about him would have been good to know.

message 7: by Roseanne, RRRM (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
I am finally done! Yey me! Maybe questions later. I loved it but of the first 4 books this was the one I liked the least and the hardest to get through.

message 8: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Aug 18, 2016 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Ohh, this book - I just can't...I seriously started it 3 times, then ended up skimming the rest, so I will answer as best I can:

This has to be the more boring half, then. But at least there is a lot of background for the next actions.

I don't know about him, but I sure am!

Cersei can't see beyond her own selfish motivations and she makes the mistake of thinking she is smarter than other people when she definitely is not.

Both - unlike Cersei, Jon is a born leader with human compassion and is farsighted enough to make decisions that are hard, yet for the common good. It may seem heartless to switch Gilly's infant with the wilding leader's baby, but it was a smart strategic move.

Because he'll hath no fury like a woman/mother scorned.

Don't know, too confused to care at this point!

As part of her training (if you go by the tv series)

He has grown and matured through his capture and mutilation, his friendship with Brienne and being away from the rest of the Lannister's (namely Cersei) has given him a better perspective on life.

Tyrion - he has always been the voice of reason to me and also has a great sense of humor. Most of these characters take themselves way too seriously and Tyrion's previous chapters made the book lighten up occasionally.

message 9: by Roseanne, RRRM (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
Now that I have had time to process what happened I am so mad at GRRM. Two parts to the same giant book? Split it by narrator? Is he kidding me? I think that is why it was so difficult to get through. He should have split it in the middle not by narrator. I seriously think he just likes to torture his audience at this point.

message 10: by LENA (new) - rated it 4 stars

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Lol...Indeed he enjoys torturing us. I don't remember where I read this but it went like this: "Every time someone asks me when the next book will come out I kill a Stark." So yeah...that's Martin.

message 11: by RJ - Slayer of Trolls (last edited Nov 21, 2016 01:22PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) This book and A Dance with Dragons are really two parts of the same (giant book). Did you like that GRRM split the books by narrator? - I understand now why he did it. I didn't mind it so much I suppose. It wasn't that I missed certain characters, I just didn't always enjoy the stories of the narrators that he followed. That had to do more with the pacing of the overall book and also some chapters were overwritten and probably should have been trimmed down a bit.

Do you think that GRRM is getting swamped by the sheer number of characters he has in these books? In this book alone, we have 9 new narrators. - I don't know if GRRM is getting overwhelmed or not but I sure am. I've gotten to the point where after every chapter I look up even minor characters online and I'm often surprised to see that we've encountered them before.

Cersei has spent most her time in the other books trying to get power, but now that she has it, she can't really handle it. Why do you think that is? - My snark-free answer is that Cersei is too obviously self-interested which makes others loathe her. She's also arrogant which led to her downfall.

Do you think that Jon had Samwell's best interests in mind when he sent him to be a maester or is he thinking of the Watch? - I think Jon was thinking of both. The Watch needed another Maester and Sam was the best candidate. It doesn't hurt that Sam is loyal to Jon so he won't have to worry about having someone in a position of power trying to undermine him.

Why do you think the Brotherhood without Banners brought Catelyn back to life? - That beats the heck out of me. Thankfully she is no longer a narrator.

Every member of the Martell family has their own plans. Which one do you think is the best? I'd have to go with Doran. He seems to have given the matter a lot of thought whereas everyone else is acting on their emotions.

Why do you think the Faceless Men gave Arya the milk that caused her to go blind? I wonder if it's to make her rely on her other sense more. It's temporary I hope?

Why do you think is Jaime worried about his honor now? He has turned his back on his family to do so. I think he may have always been worried about his honor. He was put in difficult positions at a young age and did what he thought was right. I just think he's started to see that his family's best interests aren't always aligned with his own. The time spent as a prisoner and subsequently traveling the land with Brienne and also losing his sword hand has made him see the world with a different perspective.

Who, as a narrator, do you miss most in this novel? Gotta say Tyrion. I can tell he's a favorite of GRRM's.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.