Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)
This topic is about A Feast for Crows
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
A Feast For Crows Discussions > A Feast For Crows ~ 21. BRIENNE IV *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 3 stars

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
A Feast For Crows ~ 21. BRIENNE IV *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

message 2: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (last edited Jul 12, 2016 04:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don't understand the flour in the saddlebag. What was the purpose of having flour inside?

Peter Jurčo | 8 comments I like Brienne's complex character. She had been hurted with that prank in the Renly's camp too much and has some trust issues.

"I'm sorry that I never trusted you. I don't know how to do that anymore, " she said to dead Nimble Dick.

I hope that she will learn how to trust men, because by thinking of every man as a liar, she is no better than those who treat her with scorn just because she is a woman.

message 4: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (last edited Jul 12, 2016 04:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Peter wrote: "
I hope that she will learn how to trust men, because by thinking of every man as a liar, she is no better than those who treat her with scorn just because she is a woman. ..."

Peter I never saw it that way till you brought it up. But then I am a blinded Brienne fan so of course I would take "her side " and understand her thought process.

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Peter wrote: "I like Brienne's complex character. She had been hurted with that prank in the Renly's camp too much and has some trust issues.

"I'm sorry that I never trusted you. I don't know how to do that an..."

I have a soft spot for Brienne. There is nothing I can find to make me dislike her. But the way you put it I guess you are right! And I think she has already started changing. Jaime is the reason for this. But you have to admit it. Trust is not an easy thing after what she has seen. And let's be honest, rape is the hobby of almost every male Westerosi.

message 6: by Roseanne, RRRM (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
Oh how I love the Brienne chapters!

Peter Jurčo | 8 comments LENA wrote: "... I think she has already started changing. Jaime is the reason for this. "

Yes, I think that too. Maybe Ser Hyle will earn her trust? I don't know. Looking forward for next Brienne chapters already.

Peter Jurčo | 8 comments Leslie (Basesloaded32) wrote: "Peter I never saw it that way till you brought it up. But then I am a blinded Brienne fan so of course I would take "her side " and understand her thought process."

I think that's Mr Martin's perfect writing which pull us in the world's of POV characters. I didn't trust Nimble Dick, just like Brienne, until the end of the chapter.

message 9: by Ria (last edited Jul 29, 2016 01:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Oh, wow! Fascinating chapter. I am generally bored to death by Brienne's chapters, but this one drew me in. The stories that Nimble Dick told of Cracklaw Point, the brilliantly-described scenery... If there were truly so many heroes there, how come we've never heard of this place before? I expected a boring, ordinary place, yet was given legends of heroes and magical castles. It was like finding a gemstone in a pile of cold grey stones. Brienne's doubts were also quite interesting to read, so realistic. The reader, like her, is left wondering to the end whether to trust Dick or not... I liked him, though, he was funny and it was sad to see him go :/ Also, I was amazed by how loudly he spoke of his support for the Targaryens. One would've thought Robert had uprooted all such courage.

I was greatful for the tadbits of Brienne's past, I wonder how her father ever consent to having her taught how to fight properly. "In battle half a heartbeat lasts a lifetime." <- Might not be an exact quote, but I loved this.

Leslie (Basesloaded32) wrote: "I don't understand the flour in the saddlebag. What was the purpose of having flour inside?"
Well, I think the point was to make her saddlebag look heavier, so that no one would think she might be hiding money somewhere else. And it would assure Dick that she had enough to pay him. Also, if someone tried to steal from her (which he did), she would immediately know him from the flour on his hands, even if she wasn't there to see him do the deed.

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments She is seriously suspicious (for good reason).
I wonder who that other rider is.
So they were part of the group who cut off Jaime's hand and had her fight with the bear?
Yep, she's a bad ass.
Poor Nimble Dick. :(

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Leslie (Basesloaded32) wrote: "I don't understand the flour in the saddlebag. What was the purpose of having flour inside?"

Ria wrote: "...if someone tried to steal from her (which he did), she would immediately know him from the flour on his hands, even if she wasn't there to see him do the deed."

That was my impression also.

I also enjoy the character of Brienne. She's so full of confidence in her fighting abilities but lacking confidence in her appearance, which is such a quandary in Westeros where women are prized much more for their looks and generally not considered fit to fight or lead. And it seems obvious she is crushing on Jaime, who ironically she used to loathe.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.