Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)
This topic is about A Feast for Crows
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
15 views
A Feast For Crows Discussions > A Feast For Crows ~ 10. BRIENNE II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 3 stars

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
A Feast For Crows ~ 10. BRIENNE II *Discuss only this chapter and anything prior


Vishakha Motwani (vimo) | 150 comments I was wondering where Podrick Payne was, he was there in the show. And he is 10-12 years old whereas in the show (view spoiler) (I don't know if that was worth the spoiler tag :P useless information)

I kinda felt sorry for Pod when he said "he left me"

Right now, I really don't feel that Brienne's chapter are worth so many pages :(


message 3: by Ria (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Vishakha wrote: "I kinda felt sorry for Pod when he said "he left me"

Right now, I really don't feel that Brienne's chapter are worth so many pages :("


I completely agree with you on both accounts.


Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments It's kind of cute that when she starts thinking of Jaime, she has to try to remember Renly.
I wonder if this story about Dontos is truly relevant.
Podrick!


message 5: by S (last edited Aug 08, 2016 10:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

S (siyxx) | 100 comments Agree with all of the above.

I have a feeling this book is like a consolation prize for those ignored in ASOS (Tyrion, Jon, Dany who?). AFFC is the most all the minor characters are gonna get. The only chance for their screen times.

(And that's why Dontos's back story had to be in this chapter, Brianna, it has no place in the major scope of the series whatsoever).


message 6: by Ria (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Siya wrote: "Agree with all of the above.

I have a feeling this book is like a consolation prize for those ignored in ASOS (Tyrion, Jon, Dany who?). AFFC is the most all the minor characters are gonna get. Th..."

Yeah, but we did learn a lot about the plot, some secrets, important backstories and so on, so it was an important book, I don't think Martin knows what "unimportant chracter" means. Even with minor characters, he'll always find a way to make his/her POV chapter important.


message 7: by S (new) - rated it 5 stars

S (siyxx) | 100 comments Ria wrote: "Siya wrote: "Agree with all of the above.

I have a feeling this book is like a consolation prize for those ignored in ASOS (Tyrion, Jon, Dany who?). AFFC is the most all the minor characters are ..."


True, and that makes him a great storyteller. I find it really difficult to spread out and balance the "voices" for mutil-POV narratives. But GRRM has perfected it.

I didn't mean to comment about it as a bad thing, though. I love all the subplots and details no matter how irrelevant they may seem. Just an observation on how AFFC radiates a different vibes from other books....? Like I'm trying to figure out why and in what ways.


message 8: by Ria (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Siya wrote: "Ria wrote: "Siya wrote: "Agree with all of the above.

I have a feeling this book is like a consolation prize for those ignored in ASOS (Tyrion, Jon, Dany who?). AFFC is the most all the minor cha..."

Yeah, I understand. I think one of the reasons he's so great is that nothing is arbitrary. You see something/someone and you think "heh?! why did I have to know that?" and then a few chapters later something huge happens and you're like "oh, so that's why".


LENA TRAK | 221 comments I agree with Ria.. This book gives a lot background info and at some point you realise that it all leads to a bigger thing.. Martin had to give us these chapters. I would be disappointed if he hadn't.


RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Ria wrote: "...I don't think Martin knows what "unimportant chracter" means. Even with minor characters, he'll always find a way to make his/her POV chapter important."

Yeah, it's like the Hollywood saying (or is it a theatre saying?), "there are no small parts, only small actors."

By the way, in the GoT TV show (I have watched only the first three seasons), Pod is known as quite the pleaser of ladies. I haven't noticed any references to that in the books so far. Have I missed something?


message 11: by Roseanne, RRRM (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
I have not watched the show at all but I have heard there are differences.


back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.