What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Adult Fic, maybe sci-fi, where life after death is proven to be real so everyone kills themselves except two teenagers [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 9 comments I believe I read this book approx 10 years ago but I don't think it was written before 2000. For some reason I feel that the part I remember is not a main plot line and only happens at the very end of the story. The scene is a teenage boy is in his garage about to commit suicide. His family had just killed themselves because someone proved that life after death was real and it was way better in heaven. I think that there was something about everyone on Earth needing to die in order for God to take the souls to the next level of enlightenment? Anyway, everyone else on Earth is dead.

Then the boy's girlfriend shows up and we learn that she is pregnant and they are planning on continuing the human race, even though they aren't supposed to. I think I remember the boys parents looking down on him from heaven and yelling at him to join them, but not 100% about this memory.

For years I thought this was from a Chuck Palahniuk book but I've re-read most of his stuff and believe I was mistaken. Any advice would be helpful, this one has been bugging me for years. Thanks:)

message 2: by Juels (last edited Jun 10, 2016 02:57PM) (new)

Juels | 2476 comments I believe this is one of the stories in Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk. "If we get the whole human race started again, our folks will be so pissed..."

•Obsolete by Mr. Whittier

Obsolete is a story about proof of life. Proof of life after death on Earth, that is. A space mission to Venus shows that there's a party going on in outer space, but if you're still alive you can't get in the door. Unfortunately, if there's a birth on Earth you can get sucked back out of the party.

message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian | 66 comments I never understood why the governments didn't just detonate the nuclear arsenal.

message 4: by Alexis (last edited Jun 13, 2016 09:00AM) (new)

Alexis | 9 comments Arg! That's it- I knew it was Chuck! How on earth I missed that I'll never know, but thank you so much for pointing it out for me. Highly appreciated:)

SOLVED- Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

message 5: by Juels (new)

Juels | 2476 comments You're welcome.

message 6: by David (new)

David | 19 comments Alexis: I don't remember anything from "Haunted" that fits your description. (The stories in it are not sci-fi or supernatural: they all take place in the world as usual). Could it be something else by Palahniuk?

message 7: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 9 comments I double checked and it was Obsolete by Mr. Whittier as Juels suggested. I even found it here cause I didn't have the book with me at the time:
http://horrorstoriesvault.blogspot.co...

Chuck is one of those genre bending authors, love him to pieces. They are doing a kickstarter to make his book Lullaby into a movie- https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/.... You get all sorts of goodies for donating. Thanks again:)

message 8: by David (new)

David | 19 comments You're right -- my mistake! :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Haunted (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chuck Palahniuk (other topics)