The Mary Sue Books and More Club discussion

2016 reading challenge > June's Reading Challenge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) Alright Suevians, this month's reading challenge is to read a horror book! This is such a large genre, and it's interesting to see what different people find chilling. Classics, psych thrillers, paranormal... What's your favorite type of horror story? Tell us about your scary read for this month, and share some scary recs.

message 2: by Chessa (new)

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments Earlier in the year I read Feed by Mira Grant - it's a really fun twist on the zombie theme! Almost more about the press and politics, with the zombies as a backdrop.

message 3: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) In a serendipitous current of events, my hold for My Best Friend's Exorcism just came up, so that's going to be my horror read for this challenge.

I loved Horrorstör because I knew next to nothing going in, and it really did a number on my mind as it progressed. Also, I had recently discovered and fell in love with Ikea, so it added a little more to the experience and honestly I couldn't go to the store afterwards without thinking of that book.

I have high hopes for this next novel by the same author, Grady Hendrix, although now I have preconceptions so there's no telling how I'll like it...

message 4: by Chessa (new)

Chessa (chessakat) | 81 comments I read My Best Friend's Exorcism last month and really enjoyed it!!! It was such a good take on women's intense friendships - and super creepy.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Fajita Pita (anitafajitapitareada) I just finished My Best Friend's Exorcism and it was really, really great. Hendrix really develops the atmosphere of the story in such a subtle and steady way that even though I read the blurb and have expectations from reading Horrorstor, I still had a time wrapping my head around what was going on. It could have gone any way at so many different moments... it was great.

Did anyone else read a horror story this month?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Horrorstör (other topics)
My Best Friend's Exorcism (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Grady Hendrix (other topics)