Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

General Chat > Has Anyone Read?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4042 comments Mod
Blatant plagiarism this as I have seen it elsewhere but thought it a good idea.

Got a book you want to read or buy but wondering if it is any good?
Well we have loads of members on here so you never know, one or two just may have.
So ask away if there is a book you want to know if it is worth reading or buying.

message 2: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Little sister by david hewson. What a good idea.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 174 comments Wondering if anyone has read The Ashes of London by Andrew Taylor. I read the first couple of chapters at the library the other day and it seemed interesting but I've been fooled before by good beginnings not leading to good endings.

message 4: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments No I haven't heard of that one.

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 499 comments Judith wrote: "Little sister by david hewson. What a good idea."

That one was just ok for me, Judith. It's book #3 & I liked the first 2 better. And I agree....great idea, David.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 595 comments The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris?? Set in postwar Glasgow

message 7: by David (new)

Beth wrote: "The Hanging Shed by Gordon Ferris?? Set in postwar Glasgow"

Yes Beth it is good.
I gave it 4 stars.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 595 comments Many thanks, David!

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 595 comments Anyone read the Beatrice Stubbs detective series by j j marsh???

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 174 comments Beth wrote: "Anyone read the Beatrice Stubbs detective series by j j marsh???"

I have not but it keeps popping up on my Facebook feed so I'm curious about it as well.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 595 comments On mine as well, Mary. That's what prompted my question

message 12: by Mary (last edited Oct 15, 2017 11:49AM) (new)

Mary C | 174 comments Has anyone read My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry?

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Mary wrote: "Has anyone read My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry?"
I liked it. many surprises all through the book. Interesting characters and story and not gory. An actual psychological thriller-- with the steady pace of a thriller... I would say "read it." :-)

message 14: by Judith (new)

Judith | 560 comments Has anyone read The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes, I enjoyed it as a light read.

message 15: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 174 comments Mary wrote: "Mary wrote: "Has anyone read My Husband's Wife by Jane Corry?"
I liked it. many surprises all through the book. Interesting characters and story and not gory. An actual psychological thriller-- wit..."

Thanks! I have another book club that is reading it for the November meeting and I managed to snag a copy at the library the other day.

message 16: by Tina (new)

Tina Culbertson (tinaculbertson) Mary, that sounds intriguing and I have just entered a giveaway on Goodreads for My Husband's Wife. thanks for the tip!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 174 comments Has anyone read Elizabeth Edmondson's series A Very English Mystery ? Starts with A Man of Some Repute, then A Question of Inheritance and lastly A Matter of Loyalty, which showed up in my Amazon feed this morning. I'm looking for some inexpensive choices to put on my Amazon wish list for Christmas and thought this might be an interesting series. Mostly good * ratings on Amazon.

Thanks!

message 18: by David (new)

Mary wrote: "Has anyone read Elizabeth Edmondson's series A Very English Mystery ? Starts with A Man of Some Repute, then A Question of Inheritance and lastly A Matter of Loyalty, which showed up in my Amazon f..."

Can't say I have Mary but the first two in the series are only 99 pence in the UK so hopefully less than $2 in US.
Link I have says $1.31 but it isn't always right from my end but link is http://amzn.to/2zSiZE3

message 19: by Mary (last edited Oct 26, 2017 07:13AM) (new)

Mary C | 174 comments The US bundle is under $9, with the first 2 around $2 each

message 20: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Mary wrote: "Has anyone read Elizabeth Edmondson's series A Very English Mystery ? Starts with A Man of Some Repute, then A Question of Inheritance and lastly A Matter of Loyalty, which showed up in my Amazon f..."

I haven't read them but they do look interesting!

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Prescott (victoria_prescott) | 21 comments Has anyone read Elizabeth Edmondson's series...

I've read them. Very much enjoyed the first ones. Sadly, Elizabeth Edmondson died while writing the last one and it was completed by her son. Didn't enjoy it quite so much, but I'd recommend the series overall.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim | 42 comments I have read the first ones but not the last written by her son. I enjoyed the first but then they sort of went downhill for me. She has written many other books as Elizabeth Aston and Elizabeth Pewsey. I have The Frozen Lake on my kindle that I keep meaning to start.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 174 comments It looks like "we" read Joy Ellis (a different one) in 11/16 - didn't get to it, apparently as it is still in my TBR. Anyhow, today Beware the Past showed up in my Amazon feed, USD 0.99. Wondering if anyone has read this? Also, since the group just read her 14 months ago, is it too early to nominate her for next month's value read? I know, it is January 1st so why am I thinking about February already.....

message 24: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Mary wrote: "It looks like "we" read Joy Ellis (a different one) in 11/16 - didn't get to it, apparently as it is still in my TBR. Anyhow, today Beware the Past showed up in my Amazon feed, USD 0.99. Wondering ..."

I haven't read that but I have read 2 in her Nikki Galena series and plan on reading more when I get around to it. This one, Beware the Past is a standalone so I don't know how it compares to her series books

message 25: by David (new)

Mary wrote: "It looks like "we" read Joy Ellis (a different one) in 11/16 - didn't get to it, apparently as it is still in my TBR. Anyhow, today Beware the Past showed up in my Amazon feed, USD 0.99. Wondering ..."

No it is not to early to nominate for next month's value read if it stays at that price. It is over 12 months since we last read that author so ok to nominate.

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 174 comments I just finished Our House by Louise Candlish and enjoyed it. In my TBR pile is a previous book The Sudden Departure of the Frasers I got it when someone suggested it as a group read and it hasn't made it to the top. Anyone read either or both and have an opinion on the Sudden Departure of the Frasers. Maybe I should offer it as a suggested read for October.

message 27: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 595 comments I haven't read either, Mary
Why not nominate one for October??