What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. An interesting mix of contemporary and historical fiction with a daring fighter pilot a loving wife and a US president trying to avoid going to war. [s]

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TJ (last edited Jun 09, 2016 06:42AM) (new)

TJ | 7 comments I read this as a paperback in the late 80's or early90's. The lead character is currently the US president who is dealing with an international crisis that may lead to all-out war. In his decision making he relies heavily on his own experience in WW II. As a young man he volunteered with the RAF as a fighter pilot flying night fighters.

First he flies the Bristol Beaufighter and later the DeHavilland Mosquito. At one point he is shot down over occupied France. With the help of the French resistance he escapes and returns to England. During his time overseas he has relationships with two women one in the resistance and one at his base in the UK.

One of the two becomes his wife and serves side by side with him through the political and international intrigue that comes with being the most powerful man in the world. She does it all while battling the debilitating disease Lupus.

I remember truly enjoying this book and would love to find it to see if the author has any more great reads. Thank you for any help you can offer>

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37804 comments Mod
Any idea if the book was new or old when you read it? Remember the cover? Author male or female? Mass market fiction or literary fiction? Was the author well known or obscure?

message 3: by TJ (new)

TJ | 7 comments I suspect the author was male due to the sheer number of "action" scenes that I recall throughout the book, even though there was a nice sense of emotional depth to all of the characters. It was definitely a mass market work but I can't hazard a guess at its age when I read it. I only vaguely recall the cover having a picture of the White house superimposed over the American flag? Since those Americans that flew with the RAF in WW2 were grouped into "Eagle" squadrons I want to say the word eagle might be part of the title but at this point I can't be sure. I kept it form many years but in a spate of spring cleaning it got sent off to the thrift store by mistake. I do hope some of this is helpful I would love to find this book and the author again.

message 4: by Greg (new)

Greg Tatum | 28 comments Do you maybe remember anything about the President's name? First or last name? What letter it started with? Do you remember anything about the war we were trying to avoid? Who it was with? What the conflict was about or what started it?

message 5: by TJ (new)

TJ | 7 comments I'm sorry to say that the character names didn't really stick with me, it was the story made more of an impression. As for the conflict that was providing the modern day stress in the story I have to say it had a middle east origin but I don't recall a specific country name. It may have been precipitated by a hostage crisis of some sort. I wish I had more specifics to offer, I'm usually better with details but I did read it a long time ago.

message 6: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4885 comments Was the story told in a linear fashion from WWII to the "present" time? Or, did the WWII scenes pop up as flashbacks through out the story?

message 7: by TJ (new)

TJ | 7 comments The story lines from the past and present were woven together randomly. The present day story was the more linear of the two but the returns to his past service reinforced some of the situations and decisions he had to make in the present.

message 8: by Greg (new)

Greg Tatum | 28 comments May be a long shot, but could your book be Firebreak by Richard Herman? I can't find a real good description of the story, but in the description for the second book in the series, it says one of the characters is the U.S. President and that he was shot down or almost shot down over France in WWII. That book is called Call to Duty. If not these, maybe one of his other books?

message 9: by TJ (last edited Jul 09, 2016 10:19AM) (new)

TJ | 7 comments From reading some of the other reader reviews I think it may be (Call to duty). One reader mentioned that which woman the president eventually married was not revealed until the last few words of the story and that is exactly the way I remember it. I will definitely give that one and Richard Herman a close look. Thank You Greg!

message 10: by Greg (new)

Greg Tatum | 28 comments You're welcome! I know very well how frustrating it can be to not be able to remember the name of a book. Glad I could help.

message 11: by TJ (new)

TJ | 7 comments I couldn't find a copy locally but thanks to Ebay I have one one the way. I should know sometime next week.

message 12: by TJ (new)

TJ | 7 comments I just pulled the package from the mailbox and it is The right book! I have been looking for this book for a number of years and I am so pleased to check it off my list. Thank you again Greg and thank you Goodreads! 100% Solved

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Firebreak (other topics)
Call to Duty (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Herman (other topics)