2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Last Mile > Question R

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
In the end, Melvin Mars' entire world fell apart when he learned about his parents duplicity and that Roy was not his biological father. Did you understand Roy's decision to frame him? Did he really want to hurt Melvin's biological father or Melvin?

message 2: by Charlene (last edited Jun 07, 2016 05:50PM) (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I didn't buy his last remarks about taking revenge on the still living father in Colombia. I think Roy's decision to frame Melvin might have been his way of protecting the young man, but that was extreme, and only his promise to his wife (whatever that was).

I wonder if Mars will learn who his biological father is.... /this is the only reason I could think of with Roy's irrational desire to get back at Melvin's father. Melvin was a complete innocent, Roy married his mother knowing that she had been repeatedly raped and was pregnant, so I could not accept his excuses for brutality.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Maybe I have seen too many true crime shows but I could see Roy framing Melvin - biological father or not. He didn't care for Melvin and was jealous of Lucinda's love for him that it seems easy to see him framing him. Two birds one stone - Roy framing Melvin.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

It was odd that he would do this given how deeply he loved Lucinda/Roxanne. He was okay with sending him to jail but found it a bridge too far to let him get executed. It was also perplexing that he could kill Lucinda, brain tumor or not.

I thought Roy/Aaron was an extremely complicated character. He didn't have any problems with the bombings until they killed children. He was bigoted but fell in love with a Black woman. He was okay with framing Melvin and him going to jail but not with him being executed. He had a strange set of values.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Jonetta wrote: "It was odd that he would do this given how deeply he loved Lucinda/Roxanne. He was okay with sending him to jail but found it a bridge too far to let him get executed. It was also perplexing that h..."

Yeah...it was odd when we learn more about Roy. He is complex.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

I don't think it's something that can ever be resolved with certainty.