All Things Jim Butcher discussion

sequencing

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marita (last edited Jun 07, 2016 04:41PM) (new)

Marita Terese | 4 comments Is it essential to read the Dresden File books in sequence?

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Blewer | 7 comments I always do. But some start at book three (Grave Peril)

What would prevent you reading them in sequence?

message 3: by Marita (new)

Marita Terese | 4 comments Nothing really--my son bought Death Mask and did not realize it was 5 (?) in any series--we can start from the beginning. It looks like a series he will enjoy. Thanks so much for responding. M

message 4: by Dave (new)

Dave Blewer | 7 comments I envy you. I wish that I could read them for the first time again :)

message 5: by Marita (new)

Marita Terese | 4 comments Then I will read the books after he does! That is always the best recommendation to give a book. Barbara Kingsolver usually does that for me...where I am mourning the loss of the First Time as I am reading...

message 6: by Dixie (new)

Dixie Goode (pandorasecho) | 21 comments how old is your son? there is a pretty gruesome, and more realistic murder/sex kind of scene in the first book (Storm Front) than the other books have, it kind of freaked out a younger person I knew even though the more fantasy world violence in the other books didn't bother him.

message 7: by Marita (new)

Marita Terese | 4 comments Dixie wrote: "how old is your son? there is a pretty gruesome, and more realistic murder/sex kind of scene in the first book (Storm Front) than the other books have, it kind of freaked out a younger person I kne..."

He is sixteen. Would you call it Rated R or closer to X, in the old system?

Archimedes Grimm | 5 comments If he's 16 it really shouldn't be a problem (in my humble opinion.) I would only really worry if he were a young impressionable early teen or preteen. I promise that there really isn't a lot of sex in Butcher's books in general.

message 9: by Dixie (new)

Dixie Goode (pandorasecho) | 21 comments I'm only thinking of one scene, a description that combines sex and extreme violence (heart ripped from chest) but other than that I think my kids at sixteen could have handled everything in the books, it's just the kind of vivid description that can alter your fantasies before you have even experienced the reality.