2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
This topic is about The Last Mile
The Last Mile > Question E

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7625 comments Mod
Amos Decker, almost at the onset, starts a fitness routine with pretty quick results. What do you think about the transformation of this man? What's going on here?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I think he realizes that, with his new location and "job description," he's going to have to make fitness and dietary changes to do his best on the job. He may also be attracted to the woman who set up his fridge and got him to purchase some appropriate clothing.

The weight loss thread runs throughout [although he's having extraordinary success in the time the book covers], but contact with his colleague never crosses into personal exchanges at all, so I feel that's a thread that may continue in the next book, or it may have been snipped when I wasn't looking.

Decker has been adrift since his family was murdered. The weight gain stemmed from being sedentary, alone and a fast food/take out diet.

Lisa and Alex took him under their wings, Alex helping him with wardrobe and Lisa helping stock his fridge. He decided to go to the gym on his own. It didn't take much for his body to respond. And, this team is now a connection that seems to bring him alive again. I was proud of him.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I was so happy that Decker started taking care of himself as he now wants to live and be present. Lisa and Alex helping him along was just so great. I was proud of him too, especially when he stuck to a healthy way of eating :)

My feelings exactly.

Lol! I didn't get the impression that it was all that easy...just that he's so big and was so sedentary that the first initial pounds come off easily. Plus, as his mental attitude improves, it's directly connected to his physical activity. Then those endorphins start kicking in. Lastly, Alex and Lisa are a great support system.

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I think that him being a football player is what makes his fitness routine so intense. He had years of fitness and knew how it helps his mental state, if I remember right, I think he told Mars to get into a fitness routine. He had years of conditioning.