2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Last Mile > Question A

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
At the beginning of the story, we follow Melvin Mars as he walks his "last mile." Had you heard of that last walk be referred to as that before? What was the most striking to you as he made that journey?

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I don't remember hearing this term before. What struck me most was that Melvin was maintaining his fitness routine even toward the end of his time before the execution. I think this practice was the only way he maintained his sanity (and stayed alive) in prison.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Yes, I have heard this term several times from books and screen. I recently watched a show where a man was going to be hung (his choice over the injection) and they showed his last walk and it was so heartbreaking and disturbing to watch. There is something about the last mile that is eerie.

message 4: by Jonetta (new)

I'd never heard the term before but as soon as it was explained, it made absolute sense. I thought Baldacci did an excellent job of providing an example of a man's thinking as he prepares to walk that last distance, knowingly to his death. It was haunting and inhumane.

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
Jonetta wrote: "I'd never heard the term before but as soon as it was explained, it made absolute sense. I thought Baldacci did an excellent job of providing an example of a man's thinking as he prepares to walk t..."

Agreed!

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

Definitely creepy!

I'd never choose the chair. Remember The Green Mile?

message 7: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I never had heard of this saying before, but I can relate to what it means.

Stephanie I agree, I never heard of being able to pick how you want die. I also dont understand why he picked the electic chair.