You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Buddy Reads > End of Watch

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Sarah, Kristie and I are going to read End of Watch, the final book in the Bill Hodges trilogy by Stephen King. We are aiming towards the end of July. How about Friday, July 22nd?

Everyone is welcome to join in.

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments The last two books were so tense. I can't wait to see how it all ends. There were some interesting hints at what was to come at the end of last book. I remember it had me thinking wildly on the possibilities. I hope some of the people who read book 1 and 2 with us in the buddy reads will join us too.

22nd is good by me. :-)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments Works for me too.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I agree, Sarah. The second book hinted that Mr. Mercedes (can't think of his name) was able to either control thinks supernaturally, or was coming out of his coma. Or both? I'm really looking forward to learning what Uncle Stevie has in store for us.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments I expect that this one will have a more paranormal aspect to it due to that, Janice.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Audible is profiling the book with "The Shocking Finale" as the caption. I can't wait!

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments I saw that too! :D

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Ooh! I hope we don't loose anyone we love. But you can't trust King to keep likeable characters alive.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments So true, Sarah! I hadn't even considered that. I just assumed our faves would be ok and the good guys would win, but you can't make those assumptions with King.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments This is what Simon & Shuster say about it in their newsletter:

"In the spectacular finale to the New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers, the diabolical “Mercedes Killer” is driving his enemies to suicide. And if Bill Hodges and Holly Gibney don’t figure out a way to stop him, they’ll be victims themselves.

Stephen King brings the Hodges trilogy to a sublimely terrifying conclusion, combining the detective fiction of Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers with the heart-pounding, supernatural suspense that has been his bestselling trademark. The result is an unnerving look at human vulnerability and chilling suspense. No one does it better than King. "

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Sarah wrote: "Ooh! I hope we don't loose anyone we love. But you can't trust King to keep likeable characters alive."

So true! He spectacularly killed off a whole bunch of them in Under the Dome.

message 12: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I should partake in this as I did the first two. Although now I remember I kind of never concluded the buddy read for Under the Dome

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I should partake in this as I did the first two. Although now I remember I kind of never concluded the buddy read for Under the Dome"

You finished it though didn't you? Under the Dome that is.

Glad you'll be joining us Travis. We've missed you about ylto!

message 14: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Janice wrote: "This is what Simon & Shuster say about it in their newsletter:

"In the spectacular finale to the New York Times bestselling trilogy that began with Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers, the diabolical..."

I've not read any blurb on this book - that's the first bit. Sounds like it's going to be another tense, on the edge of your seat read.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I should partake in this as I did the first two. Although now I remember I kind of never concluded the buddy read for Under the Dome"

You can still throw in some comments on that buddy read, Travis.

Good to see you posting again.

message 16: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I'm probably going to start later than the planned 22nd as i still have half of the group read to finish. I have got a number of reading hours later and tomorrow though so who knows - perhaps I'll surprise myself and be ready after all. Everyone else ready?

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments I plan to be ready, but starting a day or two later would lighten my reading load so I'm fine with that if you need more time. I'm hoping to finish before the end of the month for a challenge.

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Gavin has already started, but I'm not sure if he was planning on doing the buddy read or not. I have about 8 or 9 hours yet to go in the audiobook I'm listening to, so I will likely start End of Watch sometime on the weekend.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments I have more left my current audiobook than I expected, so I'm sure I'll be starting a day or two late also. Looking forward to it though.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I'm looking forward to it as well. Wooohoooo!

message 21: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I will be starting today although I doubt I'll get much read over the weekend so you guys are bound to catch up (and pass me by). Excited.

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments You're starting right on schedule, Sarah. I didn't read anything on my current audiobook yesterday so I'm even further behind.

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I know. I really didn't expect to either. And I'm already 15% in. I can't wait to move the boat later so we can get a better Internet connection. I hate waiting to write what I think, foe this one and the group read.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments I haven't started it yet either, Janice.

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I'VE STILL GOT ABOUT 3 DAYS LEFT IN MY HARRY POTTER BOOK THEN i hope to join in too. Didn't mean to come in yelling. Sorry.

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Which HP book are you reading, Travis? I've got the last book holding for when I finish End of Watch.

message 27: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Half Blood Prince

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I really enjoyed that one. Well, I like them all, but that one edges the others out a bit.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments I wasn't able to finish my other book over the weekend, but I plan to start this one tomorrow anyway. The two books are very different, so it shouldn't be a problem. I probably won't get very far until I finish the other one, but at least it will be a start.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments How far have you gotten, Sarah? Has anyone else started yet?

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I was going to start today, but somehow it's already 9:00 PM and the day is almost over. LOL!

message 32: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I'll start this morning. Harry Potter was too intense I had to take a break after I finished.

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I started it and have got to about 15% so far. It feels a little slower at the beginning compared to the other two from what I recall. It's more setting the scene. We also get some flashes back to the Mercedes Massacre.

Martine Stover section - up to chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments Oh that's great! We're not too far apart then. :)

message 35: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments I only made it to 4% today - just the Mercedes Massacre from a different perspective so far. I'm listening to the audio and it says I'm at chapter 6, but sometimes those chapters are off, so I'll keep an ear out for the next time he says what chapter I'm really on to be safe. I hope to get to a bit more tomorrow than I did today.

message 36: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I think the audio is running 2 chapters to 1. I ginished on 11 or 12 and it says i'm on 25

message 37: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Or I am at chapter 25 and 11 was the last one I heard announced. Now I'm confused but I'm about right with Sarah's spoiler

message 38: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 12940 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "I think the audio is running 2 chapters to 1. I ginished on 11 or 12 and it says i'm on 25"

Oh wow, that's way off.

message 39: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Ok I'm at 25% and says chapter 25. Sarah was at 11 at 15%. I still think they are off but maybe not asuch as I thought. I'll try to pay attention better in morning. Amd I did want to comment on the book but maybe rhat will be in morning I'm beat

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments I'm listening to the audiobook as well, and I'm at Chapter 16 according to Will Patton, but 17 according to the audiobook.

All great observations, Sarah. I wonder (view spoiler)

@ Travis - that was an intense Harry Potter, wasn't it? When I finish End of Watch, I have the last HP downloaded.

message 41: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments I like your thoughts on Bill's pain Janice (view spoiler)

Chapters 11 - 17 (view spoiler)

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments Pleased to see you've all started too. :-)

message 43: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments In response to Sarahs last spoiler (view spoiler)

message 44: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments In response Travis (plus i've read a few more chapters) (view spoiler)

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments Sarah. Agreed. I've read far enough to understand wuite a good deal of whats going on now. W

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments What section are you on? I've just started Blackish.

message 47: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments I'm almost exactly half. At this point things are sonewhat predictable but what I like is how all the characters from all the books are being tied together. That really is the unoredictable part, not kbowing which character will come to play next

message 48: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 5997 comments @Janice. Yeah I almost brushed off this buddy read for the last Harry Potter. I've never read the series and only saw the first 3 movies so I really am clueless to how it all ends. And now dieing to find out

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47157 comments Travis of NNY wrote: "@Janice. Yeah I almost brushed off this buddy read for the last Harry Potter. I've never read the series and only saw the first 3 movies so I really am clueless to how it all ends. And now dieing t..."

I read the whole series a number of years back, shortly after they were all released. I've also watched the movies several times. But, I never tire of them.

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18116 comments That's interesting to hear Travis about the predictable and unpredictable. I'm enjoying it so far. I'm not on the edge of my seat (yet) like the previous books but it feels good to be back in Hodges' world. I want to know how it all ends.

« previous 1