The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > Help! I need recommendations, please!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 212 comments I am training for a half marathon and I listen to audio books when I walk/run. I've decided to start with the classics and have been focusing on Jane Austin and the Bronte sisters, but I am open to suggestions. It does not have to be just classics either. If there is something that you think was read well and will keep me entertained so I won't be in so much pain, please let me know!

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Well, if you like classics I've listened to and loved the audio books of
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Lighter fare audios that are wonderful is the series by Alexander McCall Smith
Start with The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #1) by Alexander McCall Smith The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

message 3: by Lars Martin (last edited Jun 07, 2016 12:33PM) (new)

Lars Martin (lmborlaug) Jennifer wrote: "I am training for a half marathon and I listen to audio books when I walk/run. I've decided to start with the classics and have been focusing on Jane Austin and the Bronte sisters, but I am open to..."

Hi Jennifer.

I do the exact same thing. I usually steer clear of the classics though. They demand too much attention while I run. You know... guys doing two things at once.

One of the classics I really enjoyed was All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren. I couldn't stop running.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline was a great listen as well. It's not a classic, and never will be. But it was a story that did the job. It kept me entertained while I ran, and if I forgot myself for a moment, I could just continue listening and connect the dots.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin I agree with BC that The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series would be excellent for listening to while running, even if not classics. Start with this one, as she said, and go in order. I also agree with Lars that many classics can be hard to listen to while running, but think some will work.

Jane Austen could work for classics..

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Wasn't focusing much on "listening while running" before, but ...

I just finished re-listening to Ernest Hemingway's A Moveable Feast ... I think it would be good for your purposes.
Also some of his short stories; the audio version of The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories which I listened to was performed by Charlton Heston. Very good.

And John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men audio narrated by Gary Sinese is wonderful. (good for a "short" run)

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10087 comments Mod
Jennifer, any audiobook pairing of Denis Johnson's books with Will Patton as narrator. HEAVEN!

message 7: by Judy (new)

Judy (judygreeneyes) | 411 comments I read Ready Player One and Armada, both by Ernest Cline, on audio. Both are great stories and very nicely performed by Wil Wheaton.
Also recently read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson on audio, beautiful.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) The Third Sister by Julia Barrett is a sequel to Sense and Sensibility, about Margaret Dashwood. It's nice because the author really kept to Jane Austen's style, so it reads like a classic. Not sure if it's on audiobook, but I'll bet it sounds great if it is!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 9: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments M.R. James has very good if you're looking for some in the supernatural/horror reading genre.

The Haunting of Hill House

Joseph Sheridan Lefanu

William Hope Hodgson

The Phantom of the Opera

Henry James

Are some good ones to check out

message 10: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 2977 comments Judy wrote: "I read Ready Player One and Armada, both by Ernest Cline, on audio. Both are great stories and very nicely performed by Wil Wheaton.
Also recently read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson on audio, bea..."

AGREED! Wil Wheaton reading of Ready Player One & Armada add greatly to already wonderful stories. (but Ready player One is by far superior and more enjoyable)

For some laughs while you run, give I Must Say: My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend I Must Say My Life as a Humble Comedy Legend by Martin Short read by Martin Short himself. It's both laugh out loud funny and a bit heart warming.

message 11: by Lieke (new)

Lieke Hi everyone!
For a school project I am doing research on Blackwell's (a British book retailer) and I need some people who have been there at least once to fill in my questionnaire (who better to turn to than the book community!).
This only takes 2-3 minutes (I swear!) and it would help me out so much :) Would anyone like to fill it in? THANKS!
https://nl.surveymonkey.com/r/T2LZYPR

message 12: by Natasha (last edited Dec 20, 2016 05:53AM) (new)

Natasha Brown | 1 comments I just finished Into the Light and Away from the Dark by Aleatha Romig on audio. Several plot twists and O.M.G. moments! I was so impressed by the writing that I'm going to check out more by the same author.